Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield - what happened?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 MarkSlatz

MarkSlatz
  • Facebook
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Tim could there not be an insurance cover on a pay as you play basis? I agree Sheffield has loads of room for multiple clubs. These multiple clubs still need the resources to be funded and where required coaching etc I think this is many teams down falls, purely not having the people who either were initially able to give their free time or sourcing others to do so.

A way forward for Sheffield would be to hit the Rugby Union Clubs and try and get Summer sides from these up and running. If this could be achieved then you could have a small city comp for these Union Clubs initially. With the number of Rugby Union teams throughout Sheffield you could easily have a 6-8 Team League.

#22 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

MarkSlatz you are a genius!! Why didn't we think of that before. So you just go to a Rugby Union club and next thing you know you have a summer rugby league club. Wow this is amazing.

If everyone goes and visits 5 Rugby Union clubs we could have 100+ new Rugby League clubs before you know it. Quick some one show the RFL this!!

#23 MarkSlatz

MarkSlatz
  • Facebook
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Cheers London Drifter HAHA!

#24 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Tim could there not be an insurance cover on a pay as you play basis? I agree Sheffield has loads of room for multiple clubs. These multiple clubs still need the resources to be funded and where required coaching etc I think this is many teams down falls, purely not having the people who either were initially able to give their free time or sourcing others to do so.

A way forward for Sheffield would be to hit the Rugby Union Clubs and try and get Summer sides from these up and running. If this could be achieved then you could have a small city comp for these Union Clubs initially. With the number of Rugby Union teams throughout Sheffield you could easily have a 6-8 Team League.

Easy if every Union club was League friendly & how did well over a 1,000 teams get set up without funding from a central source....That's right they had workers who went out did the leg work running raffles, lotteries, begging and probably stealing.

The hardest people to find and keep in the game are the administrators and if you can manage to get 3 or 4 good one's at one club for any real length of time it's classed as a miracle.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#25 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Jim is spot on. The one thing he doesn't mention though is that most clubs are also reliant on the commitment of their players (ie, through subs and memberships) to help them stay afloat.

Ps, the union approach has proven time and again not to work. What we need is committed rugby league people who are prepared to roll up their sleeves and help develop junior roots etc.

However, in places like Sheffield it also requires the active support of the local pro club. Primary RL presents a great opportunity to build from the ground up but it needs people to drive it.

#26 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Eccles second team didn't enter a league this season because we didn't have enough players, but we are playing, and winning, friendlies every week with players to spare. 50% of the players are from various RU clubs, trying league for the first time. One forward made his first team debut last week. Maybe its not such a daft idea to tap into RU. Problem is, it would only be a temporary solution because they go back to their RU clubs in August. I think one or two will stick around though personally. Most of them recognise what a great game RL is, but they are loyal to the RU clubs, and their mates, where they have played for years.

#27 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

World of difference between tapping up one or two union players and expecting a union club to run a league section.

I can't think of a single example of this being done successfully.

#28 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

World of difference between tapping up one or two union players and expecting a union club to run a league section.

I can't think of a single example of this being done successfully.

Tell me about it, we got invited to move in with Thornensians RUFC and after they saw the product on the field and our plans for juniors they told us that we would have to find a new ground to play and train on but could go back to their excellent clubhouse after our games, this was after just one season of summer rugby.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#29 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Blackwood Bulldogs (South Wales) did it for  about 5 seasons and they qualified to play Oldham in the Challenge cup. I agree that generally you won't get a RU club to run a RL section, but I just had to find an example. All of the RU players that have come to us recently have had to admit that RL is a great game.

#30 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Tell me about it, we got invited to move in with Thornensians RUFC and after they saw the product on the field and our plans for juniors they told us that we would have to find a new ground to play and train on but could go back to their excellent clubhouse after our games, this was after just one season of summer rugby.

Sounds familiar!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users