Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Zealanders in Super League

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Adrian Shelford

Big fan of him. Died far too young.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Paul Mansson - he was class!

did he play super league? i agree though he was a class player
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Don't think he did play SL, but he was probably good enough to have done so.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

Francis Meli, Sia Soliola.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#45 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

No but thought I'd sneak it in there anyway haha!!

#46 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Francis Meli, Sia Soliola.

They are only Kiwi in a Samoan sense. ;)

#47 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

They are only Kiwi in a Samoan sense. ;)

both new zealand internationals though??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#48 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

No but thought I'd sneak it in there anyway haha!!

loved him when he was at widnes, carried the team for the length of his contract.

#49 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

both new zealand internationals though??

Meli has played for Samoa; I don't know whether he has played for New Zealand.  I think Soliola might have played half a game for New Zealand but I'm not 100% certain of that.  They're both Samoans anyway, and I thought the OP was asking about New Zealanders rather than players who have played for New Zealand.

#50 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Meli has played for Samoa; I don't know whether he has played for New Zealand.  I think Soliola might have played half a game for New Zealand but I'm not 100% certain of that.  They're both Samoans anyway, and I thought the OP was asking about New Zealanders rather than players who have played for New Zealand.

Meli was a regular in the New Zealand side during his time with Auckland Warriors.

Soliola was also a New Zealand Test player whilst with the Roosters.  Without looking it up I would guess he has about 7 or 8 Kiwi caps.  I can't remember him playing for Samoa but no doubt he qualifies if he wishes to do so.

Another one of my favourite Kiwis at Fev was Hitro Okesene with his nonsense style of play.  I think he played a few games for Hull the year before therefore qualifies as a SL player.

Edited by Railway End, 26 June 2013 - 08:46 PM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Meli was a regular in the New Zealand side during his time with Auckland Warriors.

Soliola was also a New Zealand Test player whilst with the Roosters.  Without looking it up I would guess he has about 7 or 8 Kiwi caps.  I can't remember him playing for Samoa but no doubt he qualifies if he wishes to do so.

Another one of my favourite Kiwis at Fev was Hitro Okesene with his nonsense style of play.  I think he played a few games for Hull the year before therefore qualifies as a SL player.

Ok.  However, the OP still asked about New Zealanders and not players who have played for New Zealand!

And both Meli and Soliola are Samoans.

#52 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Stacey Jones has gone well under the radar here, one of my favourite NZers ever.

For Wire (SL era):

Toa Kohe-Love
Nigel Vagana
Louis Anderson
Richard Henare (one season only mind)

All left me with fine memories. Honorable mentions: Vinnie Anderson, Logan Swann, David Kidwell (ok bad memories in his case!)

Wasn't Vagana about 18 when he came to us? Bagged a hat trick against Wigan in Murphy's return?

Aah, Kidwell, that Salford game will live long in the memory.

Kevin Tamati.

#53 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Ok.  However, the OP still asked about New Zealanders and not players who have played for New Zealand!

And both Meli and Soliola are Samoans.

Not wanting to get too pedantic about this, but if you are born in New Zealand of Samoan parentage, are you classing these players as New Zealanders or Samoans.  If the later, then we are looking for players of Mauri or White European ancestary only rather than anyone with Samoan/Tongan/Cook Island heritage.

You would be stepping into a minefield with that one

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#54 Black Junior

Black Junior
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Soliola has 12 caps according to Wikipedia - and it says he's from Auckland

Here's the full list anyway

http://en.wikipedia....representatives

#55 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Heh, Anthony Swann!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#56 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Gary Mercer!

D'oh!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#57 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Craig Smith, I couldn't think of his name for aaaages.

Edited by hindle xiii, 27 June 2013 - 07:52 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#58 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ali Lauiti'iti, Willie Talau, Tonie Carroll, Sione Faumuina, Tevita Leo-Latu, Jamahl Lolesi, Alex Chan, Iafeta Palea'aesina, David Fa'alogo. That wiki list was very helpful!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#59 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Greg Eastwood, Setaimata Sa. ##### loads!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#60 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

the wigan leg end paul koloi...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users