New Zealanders in Super League

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

if you had a thread about the best kiwis to play in super league i think the top 5 would look like this:

the paul brothers joint first as i can't decide which one was best
lesley vainokolo
tawara nickau
julian o'niel
tony puletua

Edited by Viking Warrior, 27 June 2013 - 08:30 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#62 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Not wanting to get too pedantic about this, but if you are born in New Zealand of Samoan parentage, are you classing these players as New Zealanders or Samoans.  If the later, then we are looking for players of Mauri or White European ancestary only rather than anyone with Samoan/Tongan/Cook Island heritage.

You would be stepping into a minefield with that one

Soliola identifies himself as Samoan.  I follow him on Twitter and it's all about Samoa, not New Zealand.  Meli is Samoan too, as is Tony Puletua.  Only Lance Hohaia in our squad identifies as Kiwi.

I'm taking their own word for it, that's all.

#63 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

i wouldn't brag about hohaia........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#64 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

the wigan leg end paul koloi...........

Ah yes! Who among us can forget, er... what was his name again?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#65 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

At the Bulls:

Robbie Paul, Henry Paul and Lesley Vainikolo were one-offs, and can't be replaced.

To a large extent, Shontayne Hape replaced Daryl Shelford.

However, we have never found proper replacements for Joe Vagana and Tevita Vaikona. We haven't had a top notch prop or strike- winger since.

In my opinion, David Solomona and Logan Swann were major disappointments.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#66 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Dean Bell was my RL idol.. awesome player. Jarrod McKracken deserves a mention, good year or so he spent at Saints. Another tough as teak Kiwi. Frano Botica deserves a mention also, as does Stacey Jones.

Wonder whatever happened to Paul Koloi..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#67 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

i wouldn't brag about hohaia........

I wasn't bragging about anyone.  I simply said that only Hohaia self-identifies as Kiwi among our antipodean crew.

#68 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dean Bell was my RL idol.. awesome player. Jarrod McKracken deserves a mention, good year or so he spent at Saints. Another tough as teak Kiwi. Frano Botica deserves a mention also, as does Stacey Jones.

Wonder whatever happened to Paul Koloi..

It was a shame that Jarrod McCracken took off field action against players for a tackle that went wrong.

Jarrod McCracken's football career came to a premature end in round 15 of the 2000 NRL competition in a game against the Melbourne Storm, when Storm players Stephen Kearney and Marcus Bai performed a dangerous spear tackleon him, inflicting a career-ending neck injury.[3] McCracken later successfully sued the Melbourne Storm and the two players involved for general damages, totalling $90,000 plus interest.[4]

http://en.wikipedia....arrod_McCracken

#69 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Fair point.

Thinking about it I think Freddie was signed after playing for Samoa in the 1991 RUWC. Mike Umaga though was I believe a New Zealander of Samoan decent,

Both signed after playing for Samoa in the 95 RUWC. Think we sighed Asa Amone from Tonga from the same RUWC as well.

Marty Moana was a kiwi that could have been brilliant. Was nearly unstoppable at times in 1998

#70 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Bumhole Webb.

Best behaviour? from Superman of course,but but

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#71 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Best behaviour? from Superman of course,but but

:huh: No sense you make it is.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#72 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

the wigan leg end paul koloi...........

Do you also remember doc Murray and Shem tatupu?

#73 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Do you also remember doc Murray and Shem tatupu?

Seem to recall Doc Murray ending up at Warrington for a bit. Ended up at Chorley later on?

Sane season as Nigel Vagana was at Warrington, we had Tony Tatupu who only sticks in my mind for the fact that Eddie Hemmings in a commentary once referred to him as Tony Tatutu-pupu. Vague memories of him and Stevo descending into hysterics over that one.

Another one from pre-SL was Kelly Shelford. He was good.

Edited by thirteenthman, 27 June 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#74 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

At the Bulls:

Robbie Paul, Henry Paul and Lesley Vainikolo were one-offs, and can't be replaced.

To a large extent, Shontayne Hape replaced Daryl Shelford.

However, we have never found proper replacements for Joe Vagana and Tevita Vaikona. We haven't had a top notch prop or strike- winger since.

In my opinion, David Solomona and Logan Swann were major disappointments.

TV is Tongan.

rldfsignature.jpg

#75 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

if you had a thread about the best kiwis to play in super league i think the top 5 would look like this:the paul brothers joint first as i can't decide which one was bestlesley vainokolotawara nickaujulian o'nieltony puletua

How can you have a top 5 when you list 6???

#76 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Seem to recall Doc Murray ending up at Warrington for a bit. Ended up at Chorley later on?

Sane season as Nigel Vagana was at Warrington, we had Tony Tatupu who only sticks in my mind for the fact that Eddie Hemmings in a commentary once referred to him as Tony Tatutu-pupu. Vague memories of him and Stevo descending into hysterics over that one.

Another one from pre-SL was Kelly Shelford. He was good.

The Warrington guardian claim Tony Tatupu as the Eric Cantona of the rugby world

#77 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Jason Cayless was brilliant for Saints in his first season with us in 2006, I think he was definitely one of the best props in the league that year.  He made us much tougher defensively and I doubt that we'd have had such a successful season without him.  It's a real pity that injuries marred the rest of his time with us as he'd quickly developed into one of our most important players as far as I'm concerned.

#78 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

TV is Tongan.

True, but this is from his Wikipedia page.

Vaikona started playing rugby league when he was studying in Christchurch, New Zealand at Lincoln University.[1] He made the Junior Kiwis in 1994 and in 1994 Vaikona played for the Canterbury Country Cardinals in the Lion Red Cup and represented both Canterbury, New Zealand Universities and the New Zealand Residents.[

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#79 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

True, but this is from his Wikipedia page.

Vaikona started playing rugby league when he was studying in Christchurch, New Zealand at Lincoln University.[1] He made the Junior Kiwis in 1994 and in 1994 Vaikona played for the Canterbury Country Cardinals in the Lion Red Cup and represented both Canterbury, New Zealand Universities and the New Zealand Residents.[

rldfsignature.jpg

#80 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

The Warrington guardian claim Tony Tatupu as the Eric Cantona of the rugby world

So I believe, although I don't recall him kung fu kicking anyone in the crowd at the Fletcher Street end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users