Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mighty Penguins, and all TRLers

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#21 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

aaah a Rugby Union club then Cross code forum?

I've got a Mighty Penguins shirt with number 15 on the back

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#22 Hullgal

Hullgal
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm not sure what number my shirt had on it - will have to dig it out and check

#23 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

I think that life just sometimes takes over and the forum got to be the least of my priorities, and the arrival of Facebook meant I could still be in some contact with some of the TRL'ers but no need to post as much on here.  

I do miss posting on here, we used to have some good discussions and good laughs.

You still get them trains down to London?

Still meet weirdos on the way?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#24 Hullgal

Hullgal
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

You still get them trains down to London?

Still meet weirdos on the way?

Ha ha, no not been to a game in London since we got told off by Hull Trains for laughing too much on the way home - think that may have been all your fault too  ;)

#25 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Bring back Yorkshire Pie.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#26 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yorkshire Pie is attending as are many others  :D

I do want anyone and everyone to join us, all the people who know nothing of MP need not worry, I only joined in after most of em had been there, done that, worn the t-shirt and beggared off. It was all a mystery to me to be honest. I got the Pengiuns jacket under false pretenses according to Gurner 

Anyway, I hope lots of new people join us, it'd be boring otherwise - I'm going to ask the Turnbridge WMC, where we go, if they mind us descending - I'm pretty sure that they'll welcome the bar taking etc, but it is a members club - which keeps it to a lovely clientele, the HGSA meet there (no it's not tiny)

If they say it's ok, and we can sort of sign everyone in, it's just a few minutes walk, with ample parking, to the stadium and equally, easy to find from the train station etc

If for whatever reason they decline, I reckon the Spoons will do

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#27 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Worraboot the old zeneca club down Leeds Rd? I've organised a few trips to Hudds and it's a cracking place.

Just a suggestion and you're the organiser Mags but thought I'd mention it.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#28 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Worraboot the old zeneca club down Leeds Rd? I've organised a few trips to Hudds and it's a cracking place.

Just a suggestion and you're the organiser Mags but thought I'd mention it.

I don't know that one myself, probably a new name now I suppose, it's not our end of town (and you know I want everything on my doorstep) but I assume him indoors will do, I'll ask , or google it and find out this aft

thanks for the suggestion 

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I've got a Mighty Penguins shirt with number 15 on the back

Once a sub always a sub.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Can I ask why the group was named 'the penguins'

Got excited reading the thread title I've got a cracking penguin costume at home.
  • amh likes this

#31 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Got excited reading the thread title I've got a cracking penguin costume at home.

That's fine, everybody else will be dressed as penguins too......honest! B)

250px-Only_Fools_Batman.jpg

• amh likes this

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I can confirm that. 

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Much like the national coach, I may have to go on and reccy the facilities before the World Cup. I think I might also use it as an excuse to boo Elliott Whitehead if he plays on Friday.

And Kopczak, of course.

<_<

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

ha ha I see some of the beggars trying to get you to come dressed in it - bring it with you though, we'll be fighting to wear it after one pint

I wasn't around at it's conception and apart from mysterious meetings and the odd comment I'm still not sure. Various links to crustaceans, claws and crows over the years have enlightened me no further.

Some of those in the know are in the attached thread and can maybe shed some light on the matter, but it may be that you had to 'be there' , or at least be at the next meet up and maybe all will be revealed mwhahahahaha 

It's a shame some of the pics are missing, and more importantly the people who they belong to...some are coming via links on fb, but if anyone knows the others, please get in touch - we miss you (cue the they're here but under another name posts)

http://www.totalrl.c...ll-new-gallery/

#35 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Much like the national coach, I may have to go on and reccy the facilities before the World Cup. I think I might also use it as an excuse to boo Elliott Whitehead if he plays on Friday.

And Kopczak, of course.

<_<

Are you going over? How brill, something I've always wanted to do - get in touch with Dally and do a reverse of what he did here 

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Are you going over? How brill, something I've always wanted to do - get in touch with Dally and do a reverse of what he did here 

:huh:

I meant check out the pub you suggested this Friday night, and then abuse ex-Bulls at the game.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I wasn't around at it's conception and apart from mysterious meetings and the odd comment I'm still not sure. Various links to crustaceans, claws and crows over the years have enlightened me no further.

Some of those in the know are in the attached thread and can maybe shed some light on the matter, but it may be that you had to 'be there' , or at least be at the next meet up and maybe all will be revealed mwhahahahaha

I was around at the time and my memory is a little hazy but I vaguely recall it all started with a debate about which was best - Monkeys or Penguins. Penguins won and the rest, as they say, is history.
  • amh likes this

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#38 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

:huh:

I meant check out the pub you suggested this Friday night, and then abuse ex-Bulls at the game.

Huddersfield or Aus...no contest ha ha

don't think we can make Fri unless some cheap tickets come our way...saving for the NRC final and the GF ;)

Edited by amh, 25 June 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#39 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

What are the Mighty Penguins? Despite being on the board for a decade and hearing them mentioned numerous times, I've never actually asked what it is. Is it like some made up joke team or something?

The first rule of the Mighty Penguins is that we don't talk about the Mighty Penguins... but only because no one still on here can really remember how it all started. Not even me and I've been on here since what seems like the dawn of time. The dawn of the TRL forum at any rate. :)

However, the mystery only adds to the legend!

Round of applause for Maggie for starting this thread. It's a great idea to breathe new life into the Penguins and encourage TRLers to meet up together before big games.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#40 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

As a proud penguin, if I'm around on that day, I'm in!

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users