Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

haven away reaction

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
137 replies to this topic

#21 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'd be celebrating like hell if I were them . They put it in and got the rewards after loads of having it heaped on them . We need to look at ourselves and leave them to celebrate .

#22 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Ha ha yeah thought your starting hooker was gonna have a hernia at the end singing and jumping around ha ha he's that good none of us knew his name ha ha

I think it was that town reject at nine for them. Thats why he acted as if he had won the league.

#23 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

how has no one mentioned paddy flynn. the guy was absolutely shocking, cost is at least 3 times. however good he was at leigh he was shocking today.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#24 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'd be celebrating like hell if I were them . They put it in and got the rewards after loads of having it heaped on them . We need to look at ourselves and leave them to celebrate .

yeah we can't piggy back teams up the field through errors and silly free kicks. I thought we gifted them 4 trys and you just cant do that and expect to win away from home. Kicking out on the full and dropping the ball under your own sticks is suicide especially if you are gonna stand and let teams run at you.

#25 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Today was a big disappointment.    We started brightly with a 40 - 20 and an early try then the young fullback Swift made a good break for Haven and the game changed.    Haven seemed to lift their game and we seemed to drop ours.    We gifted them 4 tries, 3 of them by our Widnes winger, Flynn, the fact that he scored two of ours eased that a little but they were such simple errors that he made were schoolboy stuff.

Haven looked more up for it than us and the poor atmosphere at the ground didn't help matters for either side.    I don't know what figure they will give out for the attendance but several Haven fans though less than 1,000.    Not a great day to hold a derby match on the Festival weekend and hopefully something that will not be repeated.   In the end we were well beaten and fortunate to pick up a bonus point.     

We have a good squad of players but we need them ALL to perform for 80 minutes per game.    Some of the basics many of us have been shouting for were not there today, especially backing up the man in possession.    Time after time there was no-one in support which smacked of a gameplan of 5 drives and a kick.    

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#26 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Yep , poor old paddypingpong . The highs and deep lows of rugby . We were easy out DR 'd today .

#27 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

how has no one mentioned paddy flynn. the guy was absolutely shocking, cost is at least 3 times. however good he was at leigh he was shocking today.

cant just blame flynn as most were shocking today. We had no go forward and so were always on the back foot allowing an average team time and space to kick for the corners.worst thing about today is we made them look good.

#28 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Paddy reminds me of mike whitehead - but whitehead is a lot better - looks a different man from a few weeks ago ?? Still yet to see anything decent come on duel reg I'm afraid

#29 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'd still like to ask the coaches why we ' were out enthused ' . There's no excuse for that . You can be beaten by a better team but I don't like hearing words like enthused and commitment and basics . We've heard them before in to many away games .

#30 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm sorry but actually you can blame Flynn - he's come from widnes .. A full time side and has cost us 2 if not definitely 3 tries - yes if he's our player we can put an arm round him but he's there to strengthen us - if duel regers don't do that what's the point in having them - I'm no fan of calderwood but Christ !!!

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Town fan 10 you say some things with merit and then some downright silly things . Mike Whitehead ??? And we'd have lost to Leigh but for Flynn and especially Briscoe . Watch the video , especially the last set of the game

#32 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

That was a joke but there is a resemblance :) was impressed with clough for them today - plus a bench loaded with forwards no wonder we were out muscled - what was wrong with dowes ?

#33 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

im sorry but you can blame flynn, yeah the other 16 were all bad but his errors were basic,costly and constant. the coach saying we were out enthused again? maybe just out coached?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#34 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Mmmm , its an easy out saying the same platitudes . But you can't play for them , catch the ball for them and defend for them .
You can instill an ethic but they've got to deliver their own enthusiasm and level of performance on the pitch , so some sympathy there .
But why the product often doesn't equate to the team sheet , answers on a postcard . Responsibility shared I guess . Yes errors hurt but win as a team lose as a team . When we win all do well and when we lose we're well off all across the paddock .

Edited by DavidM, 23 June 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#35 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

And Flynn got 2 tries and made yards everytime, granted he made 2 vital errors but he tried to make up for them

#36 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Best team won - no excuses. I think until JJP dropped a pass half way through the second half they hadn't made a mistake. Clough was superb for them, Rooney had a big say with his boot too, when will we learn to pressure him when he is gonna kick?

Flynn had a mare today but the lad tried to make up for it. The thing that surprised me was how we didn't scoot from dummy half, didn't try any off loads, and just looked a bit less up for it in general. 

Hope Briscoe ain't a long term injury as that was unlucky 12 mins in. But Millers try was superb he showed how good he is when he get's a chance, and Brett played well when he came on too.

We can be thankful for the BP today, and just move on as we can play much better than that. Was Walne injured or just dropped today?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#37 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

One of my biggest disappointments today was our poor defence and dropping off tackles allowing the haven player to off-load.    On one occasion Matty had hold of Sice and screaming for another player to come and help.   On another occasion they broke through some weak tackles in midfield and I don't know how many times we looked to have stopped their movement only for the player to be able to offload.

Anyhow that's our "Whitehaven season" over for us this time lets concentrate now on the other season against all the other teams we have left to play.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#38 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

my god high noon shoot out ,the wreck was an absolute morgue today.

thought town fans were superb singing for the full 80.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#39 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

haven done enough to win ,we didnt make it hard enough for them,they were the best of two bad teams.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#40 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

U cant just blame one player (paddy) u play as a team u win as a team n u also lose as a team not just one man he did co ck up a few times but on the other hand he scored two tries from them trys we got a b p soooo we have to take it on chin n move on unlucky town we will bounce back

UP THE TOWN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users