Photo
- - - - -

Yesterday was a great day for French Rugby League, Toulouse must be in Super LEague 2015

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

15,000 spectators in attendance for yesterdays Catalan - Hull KR game, it looked absolutely fantastic on TV and a great advert for the sport. RFL would be absolutely crazy not to let them in come 2015. 

Can anyone confirm a rumour I've heard online that Bein Sports have offered to pay a substantial fee for broadcasting rights should Toulouse be accepted in SL?

#2 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

I've heard that if they don't get the rights for the union top flight they'll put money in,

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

It's all good and well saying put Toulouse in SL, but are they good enough? I mean, we beat them in the challenge cup..

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#4 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

I noticed lots of cars and buses from the albi area and Bordeaux area, also a lot from Toulouse, aude and Perpignan,

There was a kids tournament before which really helped boost the crowd,

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Where are all of Tolouses players going to come from for them to compete? They are literally going to have to sign 20 players if they want to play SL.

#6 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

It's all good and well saying put Toulouse in SL, but are they good enough? I mean, we beat them in the challenge cup..

Kind if irrelevant, any side that gets promoted to SL from a lower division is going to heavily upgrade their squad upon gaining a license.

Upon acceptance Toulouse would likely assemble a squad of their best current players, cherry pick the best talent from Elite 1, a few regular & fringe first graders from Catalans & ofcourse a few Aussies & Kiwis.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Featherstone Rovers etc...I hear they are awash with talent ( and I'm NOT ###### taking!!!) 

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

This has to happen. End of.

#9 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Where are all of Tolouses players going to come from for them to compete? They are literally going to have to sign 20 players if they want to play SL.

They might not need that many if they are placed in the 2nd tier of the new structure being proposed.

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Leeds often get crowds over 15,000, does that mean we should open a SL franchise in Nottingham?  (approx the same distance from Leeds to Nottingham as from Perpignan to Toulouse).

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

I hit post too early but thought a new post would be better than editing my first!

If they get in by meeting all the criteria set by the RFL then that's fine, they shouldn't get in because a town over 100 miles away manages to do well for itself.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#12 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

I hit post too early but thought a new post would be better than editing my first!

You'll get the hang of this forum after a while.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#13 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

According to the rfl the attendance was 12000 which is still great but not 15000

#14 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Leeds often get crowds over 15,000, does that mean we should open a SL franchise in Nottingham?  (approx the same distance from Leeds to Nottingham as from Perpignan to Toulouse).

Your point is totally redundant I don't see any bid from Nottingham and as an earlier poster pointed out. They are within a catchment area with a history of Rugby League, they would draw support from the Tarn, Aude, Aquitaine and the largest catchment of union supporters in Europe. Nottingham has none of this.

#15 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Do Nottigham even have a super league standard rugby ground?

#16 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yes because they'll be using the same players in Super League wont they. (sarcasm)

#17 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Do Nottigham even have a super league standard rugby ground?

Do Toulouse currently?

#18 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Your point is totally redundant I don't see any bid from Nottingham and as an earlier poster pointed out. They are within a catchment area with a history of Rugby League, they would draw support from the Tarn, Aude, Aquitaine and the largest catchment of union supporters in Europe. Nottingham has none of this.

Don't mention the 'U' word or he'll lock the thread and move it to the cross- code forum!

#19 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Leeds often get crowds over 15,000, does that mean we should open a SL franchise in Nottingham? (approx the same distance from Leeds to Nottingham as from Perpignan to Toulouse).

I struggle to work out the relevance of this post. If there was a huge grassroots network in Nottingham and if there had been a 10000+ crowd to watch a super league fixture between two out of town teams IN Nottingham, then this might be a worthwhile comparison. But there isn't, and they haven't so it's not.

#20 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Leeds often get crowds over 15,000, does that mean we should open a SL franchise in Nottingham? (approx the same distance from Leeds to Nottingham as from Perpignan to Toulouse).

I think what fshould have been stated at the start of the thread is that yesterday's match was held at Toulouse's stadium, where they drew 15k to see 2 out-of-town teams play.

It's a tremendous result, and Toulouse must be included as h next SL team

Edited by goldcoaster, 23 June 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users