League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Yesterday was a great day for French Rugby League, Toulouse must be in Super LEague 2015

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

Do Toulouse currently?

Yep, a few decent stadiums in Toulouse and a pretty damn fine one too.

#22 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yep, a few decent stadiums in Toulouse and a pretty damn fine one too.

I thought they were having to invest in their own stadium if they got the nod? Could be wrong but would seem a waste of money if they already have stadiums they could use.

Edited by a.n Other, 23 June 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#23 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Toulouse would get more than 15k averages within 3 years.

Not putting them in will show what plonkers RL are.

Even if it didnt work at least we would have tried. I would also put Avignon in at the same time rather than #### about

#24 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

I thought they were having to invest in their own stadium if they got the nod? Could be wrong but would seem a waste of money if they already have stadiums they could use.

All true, why the need to waste money on another stadium is beyond me, you'd think the sports would get together and help in regards to stadiums and such things. Out here all the codes can play on whatever ground they hire out, if one team owns the stadium, they'd be mad not to try and make some money from other areas outside their own club esp if the game is very similar in regards to not worrying about the ground surface and if the ball rolls smoothly along it if you get my drift.

But in saying that, there is nothing like the safety net of owning your own ground or being the only occupant of said ground in a big city, they councils don't want the place to be losing money.

I guess all I'm saying is, if their own ground doesn't end up being finished for some reason, Toulouse shouldn't give up, there are plenty of other avenues to go down, and you could say that about any potential club out there actually where there's already a decent stadium in the city and if they have a RL culture.

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Where are all of Tolouses players going to come from for them to compete? They are literally going to have to sign 20 players if they want to play SL.

where are players going to comre from if leigh, fax or fev are admitted?

If they've got the cash, and they've got the developent streams then that's what counts: they'll be able to sign the players, and build the same way that Widnes are doing. I'd be very disappointed if any of those three were admitted instead of Toulouse

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Even if it didnt work at least we would have tried. I would also put Avignon in at the same time rather than #### about

couldnt agree more

Keeping it local

#27 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

You pulling my leg??

Average over 15,000 , Catalans can't do that, so why would Toulouse ???

#28 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

ckn's point made no sense at all. If Leeds managed to pull a 15k + crowd at Nottingham - which they wouldn't - then we might well make a case for a Nottingham pro club.

Totally irrelevant to this discussion though. Catalans average 8000-9000 so to attract over 14000 in a city which is indeed a long way from Perpignan is testament to the fact that RL can attract big numbers in Toulouse.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#29 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

You pulling my leg??

Average over 15,000 , Catalans can't do that, so why would Toulouse ???

It's four times the size population wise of Perpignan (according to wiki) and has a rugby supporting culture.

rldfsignature.jpg

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

It's four times the size population wise of Perpignan (according to wiki) and has a rugby supporting culture.

Thanks for that, so it's still a guessing game. Not many league clubs attract 15'000 so I don't believe it'll happen, but that's me I guess.

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

So does Bristol.

It has a rugby culture but it is mostly a rugby union culture.

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

So does Bristol.

It has a rugby culture but it is mostly a rugby union culture.

Both towns have a lot in common
Keeping it local

#33 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

I posted this yesterday but we shouldn't get carried away by a one-off crowd between 2 out of town teams.

Before we start, I've said for a long time that Toulouse would be my preferred option for an expansion club. France is the only realistic option where expansion could lead to a competitive international side and Toulouse is the only realistic option for that. They should be included and given the opportunity to compete.

However, I thought we'd have learnt lessons about reading too much into one-off crowds. Watching it, there were clearly a lot of Catalans that had travelled and a decent section of Hull KR fans. I suspect that it was used as a day out like Barcelona was. It llooked great and sounded great but so did Doncaster when we had a challenge cup semi-final there. It's very difficult to see how many were from Toulouse. If you check out their Twitter you'll see a picture of a friendly they played against London. There are about 100 in the main stand.

I pointed out yesterday that Toulouse had a cup quarter-final against Widnes in 2005 with a big away following and managed a very round 4500. Around the same time Catalans played Wigan and Saints in earlier rounds and managed 8,000 for both. This might be a better indication of what their level is.

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Both towns have a lot in common

The aerospace industry?

I can't think of anything else.

I'm not against Toulouse being SL but a better case for their inclusion needs to be made than "they have a rugby culture" or "distant town gets 15,000 crowds".

#35 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

The aerospace industry?

I'm not against Toulouse being SL but a better case for their inclusion needs to be made than "they have a rugby culture" or "distant town gets 15,000 crowds".

Learn to read Sol. Or at least learn to comprehend what you can read. I never said Toulouse should be in SL because of a "rugby culture".

rldfsignature.jpg

#36 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

According to the rfl the attendance was 12000 which is still great but not 15000

Just to be clear, that is the attendance reported on the PA data feed that most websites use. The figure reported by the club was 14,858.

If you look at the Hull KR web site it gives this higher figure in the match report even though the conspicuously rounded 12,000 appears in the stats panel underneath. It is not the first time this season the PA has provided bad data.

#37 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

[quote name="Just to be clear" post="2730303" timestamp="1372017526"]

Just to be clear, that is the attendance reported on the PA data feed that most websites use. The figure reported by the club was 14,858.

If you look at the Hull KR web site it gives this higher figure in the match report even though the conspicuously rounded 12,000 appears in the stats panel underneath. It is not the first time this season the PA has provided bad data.[/quote

So it was 14,858 then thanks, lets round that up to 15,000 then.

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

The aerospace industry?

both in the south west

as ou say aerospace

similar size

rugby union is a major sport

it was apropos of not much

and not really connected with the topic under discussion

Keeping it local

#39 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Players William bathau, raguin, gossard, baile, plus Bentley boys, quintella even maybe even entice gresque Enough around to get a start, does it matter catalans got smacked for a season and a half the same will happen.

#40 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Players William bathau, raguin, gossard, baile, plus Bentley boys, quintella even maybe even entice gresque Enough around to get a start, does it matter catalans got smacked for a season and a half the same will happen.

Gigot, Pelo, Marginet, Fages, Bemba, Stacul, Cardace plus another 5-7 already on Toulouse's books.

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 23 June 2013 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users