Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Yesterday was a great day for French Rugby League, Toulouse must be in Super LEague 2015

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Cats, Toulouse , Wigan, wire, saints, Leeds, Hull, Huddersfield, Bradford and one other would make a great elite in say three years
With ten from Salford, HKR, Widnes, Cas, wakey, Fev, fax, Leigh, London, Sheffield, and one other making up the next full time level
That's increasing the number of English teams whilst putting some life into the comp

#82 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Cats, Toulouse , Wigan, wire, saints, Leeds, Hull, Huddersfield, Bradford and one other would make a great elite in say three years
With ten from Salford, HKR, Widnes, Cas, wakey, Fev, fax, Leigh, London, Sheffield, and one other making up the next full time level
That's increasing the number of English teams whilst putting some life into the comp

Just done a fag packet calculation (it was a big fag packet though).

The 2x10 fully professional set up sounds great but the costings show that for them all to get to say a £4,000,000 turnover minimum we would need about another £15,000,000 to £17,000,000 annual subsidy.

Will SKY double their money? Without SKY there's no full time at all.

Edited by The Parksider, 26 June 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#83 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Not read all posts but anyone not wanting Toulouse into the SL structure is daft
Two tens to let them build because a season of thrashings could have a negative, allow them unlimited cap self funded in sl2, win promotion and watch them fly
Objective must be 4 French clubs within 10 years

I'm warming to this more everyday!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#84 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

I constantly ask on threads where Toulouses players are going to come from and I never get an answer.

If you could draw up a team which Toulouse could realistically field containing majority of French players which are good enough for the 14 club competition then I'd like to see it.

Can't see a problem, it's pretty obvious where the players will come from though a lot will upon the new coach of course

1) Existing TO13 players - in the current line up I reckon 6 would have a chance plus a handful of promising Academy lads

2) Foreign imports say about 8 like at Catalans this season

3) Catalans overspill - many present french Catalans will be around the 30 -30+ age so players like Elima,Bosc, Simon, Fakir, & Mounis  etc

4) Catalans of any age who never seem to be in favour like Barthau, Baille & Vaccari etc

Not world beaters by any means but could be as good as good as some of the present  SL squads in my opinion

#85 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Can't see a problem, it's pretty obvious where the players will come from though a lot will upon the new coach of course

1) Existing TO13 players - in the current line up I reckon 6 would have a chance plus a handful of promising Academy lads
2) Foreign imports say about 8 like at Catalans this season
3) Catalans overspill - many present french Catalans will be around the 30 -30+ age so players like Elima,Bosc, Simon, Fakir, & Mounis etc
4) Catalans of any age who never seem to be in favour like Barthau, Baille & Vaccari etc

Not world beaters by any means but could be as good as good as some of the present SL squads in my opinion

You also didnt mention existing players in the Elite who could play at this level.

Bemba, Kane Bentley, Milhoudi and plenty more

Gigot ( who's still only 20 yo)
Fages
Martins

My only concern would be on the coaching side, the existing set up is not SL standard. They've got to look at the likes of Justin Morgan, David Waite, Mick Potter coaches who've been exposed to french culture but also have top flight coaching experience. If the current coach remains in place the chances of progression decrease.

#86 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

You also didnt mention existing players in the Elite who could play at this level.

Bemba, Kane Bentley, Milhoudi and plenty more

Gigot ( who's still only 20 yo)
Fages
Martins

My only concern would be on the coaching side, the existing set up is not SL standard. They've got to look at the likes of Justin Morgan, David Waite, Mick Potter coaches who've been exposed to french culture but also have top flight coaching experience. If the current coach remains in place the chances of progression decrease.

yeah, thought about the LER players afterwards - great minds think alike !

Bemba & the rest must have a good chance though I forgot Gigot, Fages etc - also certain current players like Henderson, Millard, Blanche etc would qualify as 'french' on the three year residency rule and would incidentally actually qualify to play for France

Regarding the coaching staff, a new coach will come in and Justin Morgan springs to mind with Trent Robinson who would walk into the job if available. TO13 recently appointed Sylvain Houles as assistant coach with Adam Innes as fitness coach, two totally bilingual guys who would be well installed for the future SL era

Edited by oiseau, 26 June 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#87 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

For me toulose putting together a competitive squad isn't an issue at all plenty of potential players around, the key is making sure WHEN they do come into super league is that they hav everything in place off the field and I'm positive that will be the case.

#88 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

TO13 recently appointed Sylvain Houles as assistant coach with Adam Innes as fitness coach, two totally bilingual guys who would be well installed for the future SL era

An era that must centre on developing the quality young players who can match England at Junior level, such that they can match them at Senior level. This must be the ultimate prize??

#89 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

An era that must centre on developing the quality young players who can match England at Junior level, such that they can match them at Senior level. This must be the ultimate prize??

Toulouse has had an excellent academy system for many years, no reason for things to change now

#90 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Toulouse has had an excellent academy system for many years, no reason for things to change now

I'd suggest there's a big difference when a club gets to professional level.

Instead of turning out players per se the need is to turn out professional players and of course Leeds Saints and Wigan do this the best.

Toulouse and Les Catalans must be aiming to get the best young players in France to their SL academies and keep them in the game in numbers and develop them accordingly. As Cliff says many talents have gone to waste in the past.

I'm sure your excellent system will cope with what will be a higher demand if essentially Touulouse are to be a quality professional side that can stock half a competitive international side?

#91 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Instead of turning out players per se the need is to turn out professional players and of course Leeds Saints and Wigan do this the best.

Toulouse and Les Catalans must be aiming to get the best young players in France to their SL academies and keep them in the game in numbers and develop them accordingly. As Cliff says many talents have gone to waste in the past.

I'm sure your excellent system will cope with what will be a higher demand if essentially Touulouse are to be a quality professional side that can stock half a competitive international side?

Of course the jump from part-time to full-time is immense and the past has seen many promising kids slip through the net but it has to be said standards as well as training methods are improving, the only way is up ! Toulouse will learn a lot from the Catalans set up and the ideal scenario would be for the two clubs to work in tandem, something which shouldn't be too difficult especially nowadays  with such a good working rapport between the two.

#92 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Toulouse will learn a lot from the Catalans set up and the ideal scenario would be for the two clubs to work in tandem, something which shouldn't be too difficult especially nowadays  with such a good working rapport between the two.

Thats a good point. Dragons went in cold in 2006. Including all the French players & coaches here who have experienced SL in Perpignan. Add in the clubs three years in the Championship & a CC semi final in 2005 too. Andrew & Kane Bentley now at Toulouse from September. May be the recruitment has started.

Edited by audois, 28 June 2013 - 10:34 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#93 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thats a good point. Dragons went in cold in 2006. Including all the French players & coaches here who have experienced SL in Perpignan. Add in the clubs three years in the Championship & a CC semi final in 2005 too. Andrew & Kane Bentley now at Toulouse from September. May be the recruitment has started.

Exactly Gordon, maybe the recruitment has started - one thing is for sure and that is that all current players are on display and could be playing for a fulltime pro contract for 2015. As a matter of interest one of the promising juniors from the Academy was looking to play for a Championship side in Yorkshire whilst attending university in the hope that he would be spotted by one of the SL clubs - he has since decided to continue his studies in France and  take his chances for 2015 rather than take up the Championship offer. He obviously the thing to do is to hang around Toulouse and take the opportunity to impress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users