Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

fev away. team and predictions

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#181 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

It was Thacks testimonial dinner last night so that's why he is probably missing.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#182 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Has it not finished yet ? What a night !

#183 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

It's alright talking a good game watching from the commentary gantry - yes Crarey obviously knows what he's on about i don't doubt that Charlo n oggy do but I very much doubt that they told the players to kick the first 5 back sets dead!!! The guy in the stand can know everything there is about how to win games away from home in this league but its actually getting these players to follow what they're told . End of the day Fev have been there or there abouts for years in this league that's what you get in the championship - maybe we should ask ourselves if these players are good enough to play this perfect game you all chase - end of the day we shouldn't judge on performances such as today. Another change in the halfbacks i see -One thing I really cannot understand is why Thackaray isn't playing.. Is he injured?

#184 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Olstrum has a hand injury.

#185 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

We're not judging on today's result but performances can still be better . We can still do the basics and be beaten well , but don't make it easier

#186 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Townfan10 I don't think you are a Haven fan as others think but I do think you are connected with the playing staff or coaching staff having a bit of a laugh.    No-one is seeking the perfect game as you suggest but over several games this year we have shown that we have no Plan B or C and that is down to BOTH the players and the coaches.    Ged Stokes used to get criticised for coming on the radio with the same excuses every week and it is something we are getting again.   We need to do something about it don't you think?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#187 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

34 0

#188 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

On radio think ive heard mossops n flyns name about 5 times just shows how much they get the ball mattys had a good game but you cant do much when your teams getten well beat

#189 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

I don't think we get excuses as such - I think the coaches are learning as are the players in this league - if I'm not wrong the main of this Fev side has been together for the past few seasons at least and have been successful at that - I don't think they use duel reg - they train together and play together regular which where you have good players such as Finn - Kain Ellis and Kaye your gonna create opportunities - you have to ask what we want as supporters from our side yes everyone wants to win every game But its impossible - had a few decisions gone our way we could have ended up with a couple more wins but that's rugby league - I think we've done ok this season and many are expecting too much. Survival is the key and if we win our next 2 home games we will stay up comfortably so in my opinion will be our target for the season achieved . I don't think there's any need to questions coaching etc . I just want a settled side for a month 6 weeks especially in the halves - then we can see whether these halfbacks are good enough or not - coz at the moment switching and changing every week isn't doing any good at all ... Especially as now we seem to switch centres every game too ... But the centres are another story .

#190 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Win every game ... No , be competitive in most games ... Yes , why not ? But the frustration is not in losing , it's in our deficiencies which continue to plague us and make games harder than they are already .

#191 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

the coaches are learning in this league???? if there not familiar now, theyll never be. we havent improved since the 1st few weeks, leigh was a one off but in my honest opinion were going backwards. todays result shouldnt influence anyones opinion, but over the season were not progressing as a side, and im sorry the blame stops at the coaches. people can say they can only tell the players what to do, you cant make them do it. but thats bull, its the coaches job to get the best out of each individual and again im sorry, but no real town fan can say were getting the best out of that side week in week out. the longer this goes on the closer well get to that bottom 2. also townfan10 you ask for a settled side, whos job is it too pick that settled side? if they dont know the best 2 half backs at the club then were in big trouble.

Edited by wonky, 30 June 2013 - 03:30 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#192 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

The last Fev try sums up what we have said we don't see from Town.   Quick passing and good support play.    Earlier Flynn made a break and the only support came from the other winger Hulme.   Now we have said this sort of thing many times but still it goes on match after match.   Do these players train together?

#193 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Much better second half. Didnt expect anything today just glad its out of the way now. We can take heart from the 2nd half and look forward to next sunday.

#194 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Do these players train together?

Some do but others just turn up when they feel like it so I am told.....

My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#195 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Only thing you can say about today is pure shi te

#196 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Not much consolation but at least they stuck at it, next week is a must win game for us.......again !! Let's get our best team on the field and sort out the halfback situation. 

#197 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Difficult to play a settled half back pairing when Callum is sitting on the bench and is holding his shoulder after 5 mins on the pitch . He must be struggling as when they put him on he was defending on the wing - right it off and move on

#198 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

That's the point Keith . We may not be the best but you can train to do good , slick basics and make yourself consistently competitive and a tidy side . Our basic skills often let us down badly , from ball retention and passing in offense to coordination and organisation in defence . Moves , passing , support , speed of play etc etc always look like we're not working on them . Getting through six tackles and putting a good kick in goes a long way in this league but even that is tough far to often . How often do teams beat us doing nothing special but good basics and looking well coached and drilled ????

Edited by DavidM, 30 June 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#199 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

The last Fev try sums up what we have said we don't see from Town. Quick passing and good support play. Earlier Flynn made a break and the only support came from the other winger Hulme. Now we have said this sort of thing many times but still it goes on match after match. Do these players train together?

not very often keith. we would struggle to make a 7s side out of training.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#200 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

And looking ahead ... It's easy to say we must beat Dews and Swinton , but will we turn the tap on the other way and deliver . And what do you think those two teams will be saying coming up here ... 'Bring it on we can win there ' I would think . Teams are targeting us to ! Huge games in the survival scrap . It is right that survival is the aim , and it could be in these two games . Either way we've a fair bit of work to do yet .

Edited by DavidM, 30 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.