Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

fev away. team and predictions

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#201 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

I don't think we get excuses as such - I think the coaches are learning as are the players in this league - if I'm not wrong the main of this Fev side has been together for the past few seasons at least and have been successful at that - I don't think they use duel reg - they train together and play together regular which where you have good players such as Finn - Kain Ellis and Kaye your gonna create opportunities - you have to ask what we want as supporters from our side yes everyone wants to win every game But its impossible - had a few decisions gone our way we could have ended up with a couple more wins but that's rugby league - I think we've done ok this season and many are expecting too much. Survival is the key and if we win our next 2 home games we will stay up comfortably so in my opinion will be our target for the season achieved . I don't think there's any need to questions coaching etc . I just want a settled side for a month 6 weeks especially in the halves - then we can see whether these halfbacks are good enough or not - coz at the moment switching and changing every week isn't doing any good at all ... Especially as now we seem to switch centres every game too ... But the centres are another story .

Have to agree. How can you work on moves and plays when you haven't a clue which DR players are coming in or what your halfback combination is ? If we beat Dewsbury, York and Keighley at home we will be okay, I think most of us would have taken that at the start of the season. I get the impression you aren't happy with our centres TF10, well your not the only one, I think it's one of the reasons we fail to finish moves off and leak points. What would we give for a Kenny Kerr, Ian Wright combo right now.

#202 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Have to agree. How can you work on moves and plays when you haven't a clue which DR players are coming in or what your halfback combination is ? If we beat Dewsbury, York and Keighley at home we will be okay, I think most of us would have taken that at the start of the season. I get the impression you aren't happy with our centres TF10, well your not the only one, I think it's one of the reasons we fail to finish moves off and leak points. What would we give for a Kenny Kerr, Ian Wright combo right now.

the problem is with our centres are there sound defensively but as you say they struggle to finish off moves and create very little for the guys outside them. maybe when rooney returns we might just have a good attacking threat out there.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#203 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

A big 6 points up for grabs in the next two games at DP. rams will be the toughest test but if we play to our abilities we can take the 3 points.

#204 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think if you look at some other teams I stress SOME ie Sheffield - Fev - possibly even Whitehaven you have try scoring centres - we don't have that at Town- I think I read the big guy at Sheffield has over 20 tries this season - JJP at haven 16 ish? Mellars over 10 - you put that into the town side and it gives a different perspective - Elliot miller is desperate for someone inside him to create some space but we don't have that - ade gardener is an example of that when Lyon played at saints... Yes in a very good team but he showed how important it is for a winger to have a good centre - Calvert when seeds was inside him another example. Defensively are we sound? I know mossop is .. But the big guys lacks in that department for me - luckily for him calders gets the brunt of the blame on that side.. But often he can do little with what's inside him and he's last man with 3 against him. They need to decide what they are doing with Connor... 4 - 6 and now 7 ... He's a full back for me but we will never know what he is until he gets a run of games in one bloody position.

#205 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

He's never played full back so what makes you say that ? In all honesty I don't think they really know what to do with him , and he hasn't been what they hoped or thought he was going to be .

#206 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 816 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

I think we all keep saying if we play to our abilities we will be ok but i am afraid that is just not happening,I have been on now for a long time about our lack of pace and size in the centre,we keep saying they are good at defence, but at this time we need at least one that can break the line now and then and get us a few try,s.I cant remember when one of our centre,s scored a try or even made a break.I would still like to see miller given a go at centre at least we would have a bit of pace there.Now i have got that of my chest what do you all think.

#207 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Miller is an out and out winger - not a centre or a full back - get him the ball in space and he will score tries .

#208 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

I can't remember either . Mixture of their attacking deficiency and the quality of the pill they get . Outside backs need halves with a sharp passing game , we never see the ball spun crisply and flat . Our backs sit deep and get slow loopy ball with 3 guys in their face - good luck .Miller could give extra if you want to try him there short term just to get him involved ,but either way we need to recruit a strike centre . It's ages since we did . I say again , someone like the Carcassone bloke who ripped up the line more than any of our guys do... But he was working off Aiken , so there's a clue . A half and a centre look as good as each other .

Edited by DavidM, 30 June 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#209 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yeah but slow ball comes from what ? Slow halves? Not winning the ground in collision in the first place? Slow PTB? Slow acting half passing? All contributes- also the ball to the right rarely gets past stack... Not blaming him but he is a buffer in the line... Maybe they should play out the back of stack a bit more - all this standing deep etc etc all comes with training and playing together as a partnership... All stems back to the same arguement mate

#210 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

A 40 point loss at Featherstone is neither a disaster nor is it good.

I'd have preferred that if it was a 40 point defeat that it was 52-12 or something like that, so that it proved we could score away at one of the top sides. To only score 4 points in 2 games at Batley and Fev is giving worrying signs about the attacking play.

IMO no settled halves must be a contributing reason, in addition to the DR's only being in for 1 session at a time.

I think its too late now to change strategy, but we have Lupton, Connor, Phillips, Connor, Forber who can play 6 and 7. So there are enough players to choose from, I wouldn't bring a DR in for 6 and 7 unless we are struggling with injuries. Either we are sticking with those 5 and finding the best combination or we'll continue to look disorganised and blunt in attack.

#211 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 816 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Townfan10 just have a look and see where miller played as an amsteur?

#212 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

They're all general points on a slow game , but lets not over complicate . Lets just try to quicken our passing from one man to the next for starters , it's painful at times . Then we can add the extra dimension of a dummy runner and a flatter attack so the opposition doesn't have such an easy time defending us . I'm just talking of things you should be able to work on . Either way we've done it to death and is out of our hands . It's up to the guys down there .

Edited by DavidM, 30 June 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#213 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Anybody else getting PM's off the jampot fan "back to one" talking tripe about our loss today.

#214 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Anybody else getting PM's off the jampot fan "back to one" talking tripe about our loss today.

he just talks tripe full stop. hess a ######, simple as
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#215 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 816 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

sorry townfan10 it should have said amateur silly me,

#216 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

It's probably one thing you can't really work on mate is speed of passing your either quick or your not- I'm sure every town player playing today can take and give a ball - but then the halves get criticised for not playing at the line ....

#217 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

He's never played full back so what makes you say that ? In all honesty I don't think they really know what to do with him , and he hasn't been what they hoped or thought he was going to be .

Well what can you expect from a Don Gailer recommendation, it was him who got Kayle over here.

HW

#218 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

I often think we are too stereotyped and opposition coaches can work us out quite easily from DVD's of our matches.    The only break we get from 5 drives and a kick is if Matty spots a chance to have a dart, failing that we know that the ball isn't going along the line until maybe the 4th tackle, 3rd if we are feeling ambitious.    The likes of Brough at the Giants can stand well away from the ruck area as he knows he can get a fast long pass from Lunt but we always look bunched up and slow passes allow the opposition to get up in our faces before it gets to the centre and winger.

We have probably missed out this season not having Dan Rooney fit as I'm sure he would probably have been our best attacking centre.    We keep saying that our centres are okay defensively but how many times have we commented about weak defence down one side or the other out wide.   A lot of things can be improved with training and coaching but it is difficult if we don't get a full complement of players at training sessions.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#219 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

Just put him on "ignore" on your profile page and you wont receive any from him.   He'll grow up one day, maybe!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#220 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

End of the day we've gone to Fev today and struggled - without - calderwood thackaray olstrom carter briscoe .. Decent players among that lot .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users