fev away. team and predictions

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#241 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Dewsbury is a strange one . I seen them beat Fax and they had SL players from about three different clubs ! Depends on how they get beefed up this weekend . Very tricky game .

Who are dews DR'd with???

Edited by town4me, 30 June 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#242 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Bradford

#243 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Bradford but there were Wakefield players as well and others who's name I knew from SL

#244 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Was expecting worse tbh. But something has to be done same stuff week in week out we can't go through the pack all the time cause other teams have bigger ones miller has to play full back every week for me until briscoe back he's defence is awesome stopped a couple more tries.

#245 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:32 AM

What was up with carter?

Perhaps I'm wrong, and its in no way a criticism of his play this season, but he doesnt seem as happy at town as he used to.

#246 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

He was ill!!

#247 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

What was up with carter?

Perhaps I'm wrong, and its in no way a criticism of his play this season, but he doesnt seem as happy at town as he used to.

i know what you mean, nothing to do with his performances but he dosent seem to have that spark or buzz as he has in the past. and hes been in and out the team for one reason or another which wont help him.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#248 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Bradford but there were Wakefield players as well and others who's name I knew from SL

We have a couple of players on loan from Wakey. As for Bradford generally it's 1 or 2 or none DRs. Adam o Brian is a player we have had most use out of DR played in about half of the games.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#249 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Gonna be a big match this coming weekend, dewsbury are going to be looking for revenge from last time out! Up the town

#250 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Interesting to see the deluded ones having a dig at Town cos Fev put 40 on Town... funny, I seem to remember Fev putting 45 past that World Class Haven team down at the Rec. As always they suffer from selective amnesia.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#251 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

We can say all we like about mistakes, penalties and defence but the reason we're not better than we are is because we don't score enough tries, and we don't score enough tries because we have one game plan so there's no variation. The defence knows what we are going to do and soaks it up, and if they're under no pressure at their end they can play as they like in attack.

We've done well in our first season but it could be better still.

Edited by homeandawayer, 01 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#252 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

We can say all we like about mistakes, penalties and defence but the reason we're not better than we are is because we don't score enough tries, and we don't score enough tries because we have one game plan so there's no variation. The defence knows what we are going to do and soaks it up, and if they're under no pressure at their end they can play as they like in attack.
We've done well in our first season but it could be better still.

if we are going to continue to try to out muscle teams down the middle of the park through the forwards then the PTB has to be alot faster to keep momentum going sucking in the defence then some slick passing out wide is needed where the gaps should be.

Edited by town4me, 01 July 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#253 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

if we are going to continue to try to out muscle teams down the middle of the park through the forwards then the PTB has to be alot faster to keep momentum going sucking in the defence then some slick passing out wide is needed where the gaps should be.

There's nothing wrong with taking teams on down the middle IF you have follow up from support players and some offloads. In our case we know that the first 3 or 4 times in any set of six it will be one man on his own trying to make yards. Heaven forbid that he actually breaks a tackle or could give out a pass because 9 times out of 10 there's no-one there to take it.

Compared to other teams our passing along the line is pedestrian at times and struggles to get to the outside backs. When I watch other games on Premier Sports, etc, I see far more support play and quicker passing along the line than we get from our team. Why is that? Do we train for this sort of thing?

Edited by Keith T, 02 July 2013 - 02:47 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#254 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

keith i think thats our biggest problem and it has been since scotty kaighan left. even callum for all his attributes rarely backs up play, we see lupton use his step and make a break but hes not the quickest and he never has anyone alongside him to offload.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#255 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

That's the frustration isn't it guys that us fans see time and time again . You may not be the most talented , but you can nail the basics, and you can improve things like passing , support play and attacking options with training and coaching . But we rarely see improvements , we see the same deficiencies like Groundhog Day . Good patches , numb patches , same deficiencies repeated , same performances repeated , same interviews repeated . If you're improving consistently through learning and working you take it , but we see the same game over n over again . No one will be surprised if we beat Dews ... And not one of us will be surprised if we lose to Dews .Teams beat us just doing those basics , they take you a long way when you're well drilled as well , but with us theres no consistent baseline of performance , you just turn up not knowing what you're gonna get . We have the individual players to produce the goods when it clicks , but we also have the team to bomb out when the errors and brain explosions return . I agree we've done ok , but I'm in the camp that thinks it could have been better in results and far better in performance . We see glimpses which tease us then its gone again ... And I look down the names on the sheet and try to work out why ?

Edited by DavidM, 02 July 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#256 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Apparently we look like world beaters in training , but passing it along the line will look good . It's transferring that to a game situation and being able to adapt and vary your attack that gets results.

#257 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Apparently we look like world beaters in training , but passing it along the line will look good . It's transferring that to a game situation and being able to adapt and vary your attack that gets results.

Careful... BKM will report back that we are claiming to be "world class"

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#258 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

The one thing that sticks in my mind after watching 9 of your games this season is the lack of communication on the field. I cannot recall Connor opening his mouth on Sunday and tbf its not just him. Direction on the park needs addressing and its probably due to the number of changes in the halves. Whatever the pairing they should be getting equal time in training sessions and nothing stops them opening there mouths and guiding the team around.  Wonky hit the nail on the head when he spoke about training and who does / doesn't turn up . That cannot continue if your are going to be successfull in this league. 

How many of the lads actaully get up on a Thursday & if I was Charlo and using DR I would insist on them making it up as well ( unless the cost of expenses is prohibiting) 

#259 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

You just can't back off big forwards such as Bostock like they did here:

#260 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for that mate , pretty poor if that's a reflection of things . Dunno what Acton was doing there , and we're doing our best backing Paddy but he didn't help himself there . Two guys you'd expect more from so obviously a poor day and poor attitude all round in that first half

Edited by DavidM, 03 July 2013 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users