Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Full Back

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I've noticed recently that the type of player who is playing full back is quite different to what it used to be. Clubs now focus more so on the attacking side of the game and put great runners of the football in that position such as the likes of Tomkins, Hanbury, Lomax ect rather than putting in the person who is best defencively and best under the high ball.

What has brought upon this change, has the skill set required to wear the 1 jersey completely changed?

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think probably the first in SL was Harris in his first stint, but then it kind of went away.

Much like Langley was probably the first extra prop at 13 I wonder who brought back to the extra half at 1. (Immediately with my Bradford hat on I know Kearney was one of our first in 2010)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I would suggest that the modern fullback role, the large scores we now have with regularity and the seeming lack of attention to defence of all but the top sides are a natural evolution  of the 10 metre rule. I confess that i am not a fan of said rule and think it has spoiled the game somewhat, especially in this country but coaches can only do what is the best within the framework they have to work.

I do however , love to watch the modern day fullbacks and think they are one of the few good things to come out of this evolution. Most of them are pretty poor in defence it must be said and there are not many you would back to save the day in a one on one situation but the art of tackling and defence seems to have gone by the wayside in this country anyway.

I would imagine however, that somewhere down the line, the massive toll of injuries that each and every clubs now suffers, together with the actual financial cost of dealing with same and paying players who hardly play will see at least a debate on the 10m sometime in the near to mid future.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

The Aussies tried 8m, disappeared like a fart in a tornado.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

The Aussies went from 5 to 8 then 10 in the same season and we soon followed suit (to 10), but their competition has retained a big value on defensive capabilties and teams have a pride in restricting access to their line, something that does not seem to apply as much over here.

Everybody likes different things about the game  but the game should be much more about the skill of unlocking defences than it is in SL for me.  Some of the missed tackle counts nowadays are horrendous.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

The Aussies went from 5 to 8 then 10 in the same season and we soon followed suit (to 10), but their competition has retained a big value on defensive capabilties and teams have a pride in restricting access to their line, something that does not seem to apply as much over here.

Everybody likes different things about the game  but the game should be much more about the skill of unlocking defences than it is in SL for me.  Some of the missed tackle counts nowadays are horrendous.

Probably before my time. I meant they tried to back to 8m, probably a decade or so ago now.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

The Aussies went from 5 to 8 then 10 in the same season and we soon followed suit (to 10).

I thought the ten metre rule came from us first at the behest of Maurice Lyndsay?

rldfsignature.jpg

#8 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

I thought the ten metre rule came from us first at the behest of Maurice Lyndsay?

You might well be right dp, early 90s at any rate when the rule came in, we had 25-30 years prior at 5 yards, 3 yards prior to that and no yards at one time.

I am of the opinion, in any case, that a reduction would be of benefit in many ways, especially for England and the SL competition but obviously only if adopted globally or as "international" rules.

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

billy slater made teams realise that a full back wasn't just the last line of defence, tomkins, hanbury etc etc have been revelations in the position playing as virtually a deep lying half back.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#10 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

To me it's nice to have an attacking Full Back, but not as nice as having a solid one on one tackler who's good under the high ball.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users