Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How the hell can we not find a sponsor for this great competition?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

If we can't sell stuff like tonights game then we might as well give up.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

I want a list of the businesses who have rejected it so I can ring their MD and call them a bunch of knobheads. :D

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Absolutely beyond me, most entertaining sporting the world. Imagine what could be!

#4 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

I'm going to watch some NRL on my Sky+ to help me calm down.  State of Origin could be a let down after that  ;)

• amh likes this

#5 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

What a game, I was out of breath just watching. All the players are a credit to our wonderful game. Just keep on doing the right things and not under selling our game, oh and WE RL fans must challenge every bit of of negativity...

#6 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

I want a list of the businesses who have rejected it so I can ring their MD and call them a bunch of knobheads. :D

don't you mean you want a list of the sponsors that the rfl have rejected, then you can ring them and call them knobheads?

or are you being sarcastic? cant tell. 

that is the thing when some one types something, you cant tell the tone of voice. 

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

don't you mean you want a list of the sponsors that the rfl have rejected, then you can ring them and call them knobheads?

that is the thing when some one types something, you cant tell the tone of voice. 

You genuinely think the RFL have rejected decent offers?

#8 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

Christ, we all know its the best on field product going. We can get sponsors because we are seen as a northern game with no geographical spread and therefore no real value to multinationals. It really irks me how bad the game is at selling the actual tv exposure, it's a seperate thing. That's all the Nrl do, it's what most American sports do, the Nrl use Telstra to promote their product to the masses alongside tv, that's why Holden, Harvey Norman etc invest, they have big advertising budgets for tv and can get great exposure using the Nrl platform. Beyond the demographic of the average viewer ( in league the earnings are similar to union, though usually a but younger) the involvement of these companies has very little to do with investing in league and a hell of a lot to do with selling those products. Nrl has the added angle of using community ties to paint sponsors in a good light In The wider community. It really is that simple.
Superleague is a great on field product, the rest simply isn't there. There are no real events which capture the wider public interest, they don't work smart clauses into tv deals as union do with the bbc. The superleague administrators simply don't bring value from this aspect.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now

#9 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

I feel the need to mention my hatred for autocorrect ;)

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

Becoming a regular topic this.... No sponsors...... I said this at the beginning of the season........ I still think someone will come in and sponsor the game after round 27 and make the game all about playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong, very wrong, as it will give out the wrong message

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

No. I mean the businesses and the mentality that they possess that means they can think 'we don't want to be associated with this game'. Or if they did offer to, it would be peanuts.

I may sound biased but last nights game was head and shoulders above anything broadcast on TV this year so far and if big business deems it uncool or not worth getting involved with then frankly, they must be stupid.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

they don't work smart clauses into tv deals as union do with the bbc

Just to be clear, what are these smart clauses?

#13 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Just to be clear, what are these smart clauses?

Union has clauses about promotion of games across media platforms with the bbc and itv. On a bigger scale, this wa also written into te World Cup contracts, so that events could not be used as fillers. Tied in with this, they also own and direct the production.
The nrl has influence in te production of games, meaning the cameras and match set up show both the game and give sponsors exposure. Pitch advertising is one element, but if you watch the game shots if the nrl to superleague, the main camera does not show higher than the first few rows of the opposing stand, the pans got which is the most common shot used with superleague is used in te nrl as a segment.
Te union boys also have agreements in replay timings and frequencies, as well as build up and tv time slots. There are other parts which I'm not all that clued up about too, like the in game adverts.
Just as another example of the nrl angles thing, notice the camera I placed behind the kicker, it gives a better view, but also points at the nrl fixed perimeter advertising along with the club allowed ad space, driving tv time, and price up.

#14 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

And again, damn you autocorrect!

#15 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

i've said many times with our product and unions administrators we would have the greatest sport on the planet...............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#16 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Union has clauses about promotion of games across media platforms with the bbc and itv. On a bigger scale, this wa also written into te World Cup contracts, so that events could not be used as fillers.

They are also amenable to contra-deals whereby they get less cash than the contract face value in return for primetime promotion of their events via TV trailers and prominence on websites, i.e. they sign a contract worth £100m but take £90m in cash and the rest in promotional airtime and their 'product' being pushed on other media platforms.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

They are also amenable to contra-deals whereby they get less cash than the contract face value in return for primetime promotion of their events via TV trailers and prominence on websites, i.e. they sign a contract worth £100m but take £90m in cash and the rest in promotional airtime and their 'product' being pushed on other media platforms.

Seems an interesting idea. I wonder how the fans would react if the RFL accepted a deal where they received less money in return for promotion...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

sad fact is that the rfl accepted a deal where they got zero money in return for promotion.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

sad fact is that the rfl accepted a deal where they got zero money in return for promotion.

Ultimately though, zero money wasn't a lot less than Betfair were offering

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

someone at the start of the season came up with the fantastic idea of giving a charity the naming rights after failing to find a paying sponsor...ie.."the help for heroes super league"..

obviously its way to late to do that now...but it's not to late to associate the play offs with a charity..

something like this

hfhsuperleague_zps7b9a1d0f.jpg

Edited by roughyedspud, 25 June 2013 - 09:59 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users