Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How the hell can we not find a sponsor for this great competition?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Seems an interesting idea. I wonder how the fans would react if the RFL accepted a deal where they received less money in return for promotion...

Well the key thing is how you exploit the promotional activity. Used correctly those promotional opportunities should generate much more money from other sources than the amount you forego initially. That's if you have a commercially astute organisation of course.

Take the RLWC as an example, I can see obvious and advantageous potential contra-deals that could be worth millions if we had the people in place to exploit them fully. But we don't so we won't.

Edited by Derwent, 25 June 2013 - 10:02 AM.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#22 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

I would give the rights to a decent media provider, you could pull in loads more than the 1m which was being batted about.
It's all about the exposure which you can generate, though I'm going in circles now. The bells, the bells haha

#23 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'm going to watch some NRL on my Sky+ to help me calm down.  State of Origin could be a let down after that  ;)

The problem is that all state of origin games are like that.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

The problem is that all state of origin games are like that.

I love Origin but actually thought last nights game was better.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

They are also amenable to contra-deals whereby they get less cash than the contract face value in return for primetime promotion of their events via TV trailers and prominence on websites, i.e. they sign a contract worth £100m but take £90m in cash and the rest in promotional airtime and their 'product' being pushed on other media platforms.

That's nothing. We got no cash and 100% promotional exposure from Stobarts, so there.!

#26 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I may sound biased but last nights game was head and shoulders above anything broadcast on TV this year so far and if big business deems it uncool or not worth getting involved with then frankly, they must be stupid.

No you are not biased you are totally correct. A sport now taking place on the other side of the world and receiving huge media interest is a mix of the Eaton Wall Game, wrestling and moles on  their knees digging holes. Life is strange.

#27 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

No you are not biased you are totally correct. A sport now taking place on the other side of the world and receiving huge media interest is a mix of the Eaton Wall Game, wrestling and moles on their knees digging holes. Life is strange.

millions love it.
We all like what we like. Im not anti-union. I played it for many years. I didn't see last nights game but I think
league is by far the better spectacle. Sadly so many many others don't share my view.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,141 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

If we can't sell stuff like tonights game then we might as well give up.

Sadly it doesn't work that way
That's why people bought agadoo
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#29 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

On the field product is brilliant - people I speak to agree but think our top competition is repetitive and boring. Other sports have new teams, new stories every year.....personally it frustrates the hell out of me!

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,141 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

What would be in it for the sponsors besides a good time at the rugby?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 June 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Keeping it local

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

What would be in it for the sponsors besides a good time at the rugby?

If it's prestige you want - well you can go to other sports, football, Rugby union, horse racing etc. 

If it's awareness you want to raise, well tbh whilst our viewing figures are decent, our sport is nowhere near mass market.

If it's a jolly, well tbh there are far more football and RU events in London, Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh and Glasgow - would a company based in London be able to give tickets away to its staff for Warrington v Wigan on a Monday night - I very much doubt it.

Edited by Dave T, 25 June 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Sadly it doesn't work that way
That's why people bought agadoo

People bought agadoo because they liked it.
But if they hadn't heard it, it would be unlikely.
Not sure why some people are playing it down, regional or not, last night was a brilliant sports event. The sort that any business should be proud to stand with and say 'look at this game, it stands for what we stand for. ..blah blah'

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#33 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Has anyone ever asked the would be sponsoring companies why they didn't want to dip their hand in their pockets? When your job hunting you should always ask for feedback from those places you were unsuccessful so you know what needs to be worked on next time round. I'd have thought the RFL would take the same approach. Wouldn't they? :unsure:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#34 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Rugby League is a national sport, but its seen as a northern sport, and would be sponsors like a sport thats seen as national. It will only getter harder for the clubs and the RFL to get decent sponsorship when a majority of fans get their way and the Broncos are cut from Super League, and the Sky money is reduced as there will be less viewers, If Rugby League continues down the road it is going now with less fans turning up at matches and less money through sponsorship the game will return to being part time.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Not sure why some people are playing it down, regional or not, last night was a brilliant sports event. The sort that any business should be proud to stand with and say 'look at this game, it stands for what we stand for. ..blah blah'

Nobody is playing last night down, the simple fact is though, that sponsors don't flock to the most entertaining sports, they flock to the sports that provide them with exposure, prestige and something that allows them to entertain clients.

Would Microsoft get anything at all from sponsoring the Super League? I doubt it.

Being a regional sport away from the capital cities is a major issue for us sponsorship wise (in my opinion).

The kind of partners we will get most from are the likes of engage, or other modest sized businesses who perhaps want to directly increase sales. I could absolutely see the company I work for getting benefits from sponsoring SL for I assume a relatively small amount. Rugby League's customers buy insurance, credit cards, take loans etc. we drink coffee, beer, eat out and so on.

Getting sponsors in on prestige and exposure is unlikely, but I do think we have a receptive market for companies to 'sell' to, and it is no coincidence that the sponsors we do have on board are the likes of Heinz, Irn Bru, Foxy, Brut etc.

#36 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

I actually think that the deal with Stobarts was on the right track it was just very badly managed and not the right choice of partner. If you can get the exposure and a higher profile then in the end the financial rewards will follow but it won't happen overnight. As a sport we simply aren't commercially astute enough to see the longer term bigger picture.

Take the RLWC as an example. We already have a relationship with Heinz so I'd try and exploit that to the maximum via a contra deal. I'd go and see them and say we would like you to be the headline sponsor for the competition but we don't want any money from you. Heinz have products that the vast majority of the households in the UK will buy sometime during the year whether its baked beans, tomato ketchup or whatever. So I'd say in return for being main sponsor we want you to put some marketing for the events on the labels of your products, maybe even a competition to win a VIP package which will enable data capturing of entrants details for further marketing.

You're not getting any money initially but your events are getting exposure in every supermarket, corner shop and eatery in the country. Your tournament is being marketed and seen by nearly every household in the country. That's priceless exposure that will attract other companies, which is where you start turning it into hard cash. You need to create a desire to be involved rather than the almost begging style we seem to adopt. As the old saying goes, success brings success.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,141 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

If it's prestige you want - well you can go to other sports, football, Rugby union, horse racing etc.

If it's awareness you want to raise, well tbh whilst our viewing figures are decent, our sport is nowhere near mass market.

If it's a jolly, well tbh there are far more football and RU events in London, Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh and Glasgow - would a company based in London be able to give tickets away to its staff for Warrington v Wigan on a Monday night - I very much doubt it.

It's prestige that sponsors want otherwise there's no point
Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,141 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

My point was that something doesn't have to be any good fit it to be desirable
People don't sponsor sports because the sport is any good but because it makes them look good to the people they want to impress
Keeping it local

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

I actually think that the deal with Stobarts was on the right track it was just very badly managed and not the right choice of partner. If you can get the exposure and a higher profile then in the end the financial rewards will follow but it won't happen overnight. As a sport we simply aren't commercially astute enough to see the longer term bigger picture.

Take the RLWC as an example. We already have a relationship with Heinz so I'd try and exploit that to the maximum via a contra deal. I'd go and see them and say we would like you to be the headline sponsor for the competition but we don't want any money from you. Heinz have products that the vast majority of the households in the UK will buy sometime during the year whether its baked beans, tomato ketchup or whatever. So I'd say in return for being main sponsor we want you to put some marketing for the events on the labels of your products, maybe even a competition to win a VIP package which will enable data capturing of entrants details for further marketing.

You're not getting any money initially but your events are getting exposure in every supermarket, corner shop and eatery in the country. Your tournament is being marketed and seen by nearly every household in the country. That's priceless exposure that will attract other companies, which is where you start turning it into hard cash. You need to create a desire to be involved rather than the almost begging style we seem to adopt. As the old saying goes, success brings success.

And can you imagine the uproar from fans and journos that our World Cup Title Rights have been sold for a log on a tin of beans?

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's prestige that sponsors want otherwise there's no point

I think there can be a few things, but with the large title sponsorships then yes I agree with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users