Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull KR

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

http://www.hullkr.co...id-is-rejected?

It's all going on there, isnt it? I wonder if Dobson will go back home?

Posted Image

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

Last weekend, Rovers' chairman Neil Hudgell committed himself to at least another year at NCP, I wonder if that's just coincidence?

All the players must have been worried about his earlier comments suggesting this season might have been his last, without his money Hull KR may well have folded some time since. Perhaps Paterson and Dobson started looking elsewhere when he made the original comment and now he's trying to turn the clock back.

Could be too late to keep these two in East Hull though.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hull Kingston Rovers have confirmed that Cory Paterson has requested an early release from his contract, whilst Salford have had a big money offer for skipper Michael Dobson rejected by the Robins.
Paterson joined the club on a two-year deal last winter and has been one of the Robins’ stand-out players in 2013. However, he may now be heading back down under at the end of the current season as chairman Neil Hudgell explained.
“Cory has asked for a release on compassionate grounds,” he said. “He wants to go back to Australia to be with his family. He’s had a discussion with our CEO, Mike Smith, and is due to have a discussion with myself this week so we’re expecting to make an early decision on Cory’s situation.
“What will make it an easier decision to make is if we’ve found a recruit that we’re happy with and can come in and replace Cory. We’re very sympathetic towards his position but ultimately we have the club’s interests to look after and we’ll assess the situation on an ongoing basis.
“Family always has to come first and ultimately, whether it be for good reasons or bad reasons, if a players doesn’t want to be here, we’re not going to stand in their way.”
Meanwhile, Dobson’s future has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks with Salford in particular being strongly linked with the inspirational scrum-half. Hudgell revealed that the City Reds have already had a bid for Dobson turned down by the club and that the Australian has a release clause in his contract which would allow him to fulfil an ambition of returning to the NRL should the opportunity present itself.
“Michael is very intrinsic to what we’re trying to do going forward but the reality is that he has ambitions to play in the NRL again,” Hudgell continued. “He has a release clause in his contract which he would need to effect in the next week and I’ll be sitting down with him later this week. I’m also in regular contact with his agent and we should have an update on the situation fairly soon.

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#4 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Paterson's wife has not settled and has either gone home already or is heading home soon. Because of this he obviously wants to go with her. No problem with this, good luck to him and thank you for the service this year.

Dobson has always siad he wants to give the NRL another go, if he gets an offer then fair play thanks for the 5 years good luck to him. If Salford offer stupid money for him, then we would be daft not to take it. The only thing I would say is to make sure we get it all upfront so if the good Dr gets bored we don't end up being one of a long line of people owed money.

#5 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hearing Cox could be going to Saints as well.

#6 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Very sad news but hardly a surprise. The "wife hasn't settled" thing may or may not be true but the fact is that with the uncertainty around the club and already begun player drain there's no way Rovers were keeping a player of Paterson's calibre anyway. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him miraculously pull on a Salford jersey next season.

Dobson's continued future there has always been based on the club matching his ambition so he's really over-served his time if we're honest. With Eden only being a glorified loanee anyway (Hmm wonder if he'll head back to Hudds after next season now?) this leaves Rovers with only 1 calibre player in Welham (and maybe Josh Hodgson at a push) who will now almost certainly bail for the top 4 and only serves to reinforce the fact that we need 1 merged club to keep the best talent within our city borders. Would Dobson fancy playing at the KC for an inaugural merged side behind Gareth Ellis and some genuine financial clout? Somehow I think so.

Hudgell talks a good game about replacements but you can't keep chopping and changing and be competitive and the damage done to the club in players' eyes by failing to keep its top players is immeasurable.

Will the sport of rugby league in the UK ever wake up to its farcical structuring or will this be another idiotically naive "Gosh! Hull KR in trouble now - what a surprise" take on what is just the first of many. Hull KR, Widnes, Castleford, Huddersfield, even Warrington post-Moran - perennial "glass ceiling" disaster-waiting-to-happen clubs, particularly outside of a licensing climate.

#7 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Very sad news but hardly a surprise. The "wife hasn't settled" thing may or may not be true but the fact is that with the uncertainty around the club and already begun player drain there's no way Rovers were keeping a player of Paterson's calibre anyway. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him miraculously pull on a Salford jersey next season.

Dobson's continued future there has always been based on the club matching his ambition so he's really over-served his time if we're honest. With Eden only being a glorified loanee anyway (Hmm wonder if he'll head back to Hudds after next season now?) this leaves Rovers with only 1 calibre player in Welham (and maybe Josh Hodgson at a push) who will now almost certainly bail for the top 4 and only serves to reinforce the fact that we need 1 merged club to keep the best talent within our city borders. Would Dobson fancy playing at the KC for an inaugural merged side behind Gareth Ellis and some genuine financial clout? Somehow I think so.

Hudgell talks a good game about replacements but you can't keep chopping and changing and be competitive and the damage done to the club in players' eyes by failing to keep its top players is immeasurable.

Will the sport of rugby league in the UK ever wake up to its farcical structuring or will this be another idiotically naive "Gosh! Hull KR in trouble now - what a surprise" take on what is just the first of many. Hull KR, Widnes, Castleford, Huddersfield, even Warrington post-Moran - perennial "glass ceiling" disaster-waiting-to-happen clubs, particularly outside of a licensing climate.

The end of the world is nigh run for lives!!!!

#8 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

1. Hudgell talks a good game about replacements but you can't keep chopping and changing and be competitive and the damage done to the club in players' eyes by failing to keep its top players is immeasurable.

2. Will the sport of rugby league in the UK ever wake up to its farcical structuring or will this be another idiotically naive "Gosh! Hull KR in trouble now - what a surprise" take on what is just the first of many. Hull KR, Widnes, Castleford, Huddersfield, even Warrington post-Moran - perennial "glass ceiling" disaster-waiting-to-happen clubs, particularly outside of a licensing climate.

1. Be fair - after last years 10th. finish the club was raided for players. This year 7th. so far. Heck of an achievement.

2. Agree on the glass ceiling thing, shame they didn't restructure things properly (too radical for them) still the implementation of an official glass ceiling between SL clubs 8 and 9 at least gives the failures the chance to be the "best of the rest" and be re-promoted to SL every year.

Whilst Hudge may have walked out without change, will this change change his mind??

I suspect most of the middle tier 8 clubs won't have chairmen who will be putting anything much in. It could be a decent league for HKR and Hudge to operate in??

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

it will be sad to see a player of patersons talent leaving super league,
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Welham and Hodgson wouldn't get into a top four side other than as a backup.
Posted Image

#11 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

http://www.hullkr.co...id-is-rejected?

It's all going on there, isnt it? I wonder if Dobson will go back home?

Michael Dobson signed for Newcastle Knights!

Posted Image

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

yep just heard that on 2gb

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

http://m.newcastlekn...el-Dobson/78161

Not good for Rovers.

Edited by Old Frightful, 28 June 2013 - 05:57 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Uh-oh!...

Waiting for calls for a merged club by the usual suspects...
Posted Image

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Uh-oh!...

Waiting for calls for a merged club by the usual suspects...

Certainly seems that way if the posts on these threads are anything to go by. Talk about nosey neighbours! OF et al must be a secret red and white. ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

They should look to give someone like Ryan Brierley a chance to play halfback.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

They should look to give someone like Ryan Brierley a chance to play halfback.

Did anyone else read that as 'Ryan Bailey' first?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

Last weekend, Rovers' chairman Neil Hudgell committed himself to at least another year at NCP, I wonder if that's just coincidence?

All the players must have been worried about his earlier comments suggesting this season might have been his last, without his money Hull KR may well have folded some time since. Perhaps Paterson and Dobson started looking elsewhere when he made the original comment and now he's trying to turn the clock back.

Could be too late to keep these two in East Hull though.

He's said he's staying on as Chairman. I haven't seen it reported anywhere that he's going back on his decision to reduce his financial commitment to the club.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Did anyone else read that as 'Ryan Bailey' first?

Might have  :ph34r:

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

He's said he's staying on as Chairman. I haven't seen it reported anywhere that he's going back on his decision to reduce his financial commitment to the club.

Indeed, now he's stamped his feet he can look forward to a Superleague campaign each season followed by an eight club tournament and the possible "double" of a Superleague2 grand final win and re-promotion to Superleague every year.

Doubles all round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users