Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where to visit: LA, NY, DC

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 frombanginfront

frombanginfront
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Clearly I'm unable to book flights to anywhere that can't be shortened to two letters. I'm headed to New York, Los Angeles and Washington D.C in October, and I'm looking for advice on things to do and places to visit, maybe even within an hour or two of the cities mentioned. I'm going for work, but will have a lot of free time in each location. Any suggestions from people who have been? What did you enjoy most?

#2 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,894 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

LA Greyhound bus station and its surrounds at 3am is a very interesting place, I can highly recommend it.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Santa Monica and Las Vegas are both worth going to.

#4 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Free ferry from Battery to Staten Island and back , see Statue of Liberty for free and get all your skyline photos

Get a subway pass and get all over really easily, but also walk as much as you can - off Broadway, Soho, even the ABC's. It's nice and some real NY eateries & bars around 13th & Houston (pronounced Howston). Get a credit card size foldaway map, and get it out when you're inside somewhere to check where you're heading. Don't be caught making it obvious you're tourist in the street doing it - plus you miss everything doing it and looking up all the time. Look down & around too. Your neck won't hurt so much and you'll see things you would have missed otherwise.

If you're JFK the subway from the airport at  Rockaway is real easy - we got a cab into and the subway back on our 3 day pass

Edited by amh, 25 June 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,894 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

If you have a car then take a drive out of LA up the Pacific Coast Highway through Santa Monica & Malibu, passing through Oxnard and Ventura before joining the 101 and driving up along the coast to the beautiful town of Santa Barbara which is well worth a visit.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 frombanginfront

frombanginfront
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

No car for the trip, although I did reconsider for a moment when it came to California and maybe a quick run south of the border. Too much mucking anout though.

The subway suggestion from Rockaway in NY sounds good.

I've decided to only spend a couple of days in L.A. I'm finding a long list of things I'd like to do in NY and DC, but LA doesn't seem to grab me as much, maybe because it has a lot in common with Aus as far as lifestyle goes.

My schedule that I booked has me arrive for 2 nights in NY for work, 5 in Washington for work, then 6 back in NY or thereabouts and then finally a couple of days in LA.

As a quick escape from NY, do I run up the steps Rocky style in Philadelphia, explore Boston, or consider somewhere else in a similar radius?

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

Went to NYC Nd Washington in January
Travelled by train between the two cities
Still haven't got over it

It's hard to recommend what to see and do
I had my own ideas of what I wanted to experience I fulfilled them and more besides
Going again to NYC later this year but going to Boston again by rail instead of Washington
What stood out for me was the people I. Half expected them to be a bit brusque but just the opposite was the truth still keep in touch with the barkeep in a tavern near ground zero who is in a blues band

You absolutely must take a camera with lots and lots if memory cards

Highlights for me:
Walking the streets and observing the people

The food from hotdog stand to diner to high end restaurant

The beer never set eyes on Budweiser or any of the other fizzy water
The buildings some Art Deco classics such as the Rockefeller centre the way the Lincoln and Washington memorial relate to each other and much much more
The light especially in the early morning and evening
The music : I got to see one of my all time favourite guitarists at bb kings lounge whilst gulping wine down

I wouldn't say go to this place go to that place get over there and let the place get hold of you you are bound to wind up somewhere evocative and interesting

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 26 June 2013 - 09:31 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#8 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

LA - Hollywood (just to say you been there, as Its a bit tacky).  Venice beach, Santa monica. 

NY - Empire state, staten Is ferry,

People (especially out of the cities) are generally very friendly.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#9 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

New York - Views of the City go to top of the Roack at Rockefeller Centre, clearer views than Empire State Building. You don't mind the wait, either as the history of the building lines the walls.

#10 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

I love NY there's loads of things to see and do.

I was in LA for 3 months and while I grew to like it, Im not sure how much there is to see and do. Maybe a trip to Venice beach or to Paramount studios. It's impossible to get round LA without a car.

Never been to DC but wouldn't mind seeing the white house, capitol hill, etc.

A Fev Blog

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

New York - Views of the City go to top of the Roack at Rockefeller Centre, clearer views than Empire State Building. You don't mind the wait, either as the history of the building lines the walls.

Seconded
The interior of the ground floor is magnificent
Same with the empire state
Keeping it local

#12 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

New York is a pretty underwhelming place IMO.  Comes with a huge reputation, feels like a slightly taller version of London.

Get out and go to Boston - that's a great city.

That's me.  I'm done.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

New York is a pretty underwhelming place IMO.  Comes with a huge reputation, feels like a slightly taller version of London.

Get out and go to Boston - that's a great city.

London is great as well but in a different way

go ere every year on the train always upgrade to first class for that Yorkshire Airways experience.

Paris by Eurostar is also a repeat fixture

Keeping it local

#14 frombanginfront

frombanginfront
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

Tacky is OK, just not in spades. This is the main reason my stay in LA is brief. Venice sounds like a good idea.

I'm taking a Canon 5D II with plenty of memory, so I'll be shooting right through the trip. One spot I'm keen on for photography is a ship graveyard in NY, and I've booked a train between DC and NY. Apparently as part of my work I'll also be part of a tour in Baltimore, so that should be interesting too.

The advice for visiting Boston is growing on me.

BB King's lounge also sounds pretty great.

#15 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Apparently as part of my work I'll also be part of a tour in Baltimore, so that should be interesting too.

https://www.youtube....h?v=FjjWJEeVpBw

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Tacky is OK, just not in spades. This is the main reason my stay in LA is brief. Venice sounds like a good idea.

I'm taking a Canon 5D II with plenty of memory, so I'll be shooting right through the trip. One spot I'm keen on for photography is a ship graveyard in NY, and I've booked a train between DC and NY. Apparently as part of my work I'll also be part of a tour in Baltimore, so that should be interesting too.

The advice for visiting Boston is growing on me.

BB King's lounge also sounds pretty great.

the trip by rail between NYC and Washington is fascinating. It's like being in your own personal Bruce Springsteen video: lots of post industrial dereliction particularly around Baltimore and Philly lots of small Hicksville towns. The train itself is fast and comfortable pretty much like the French TGV the train staff friendly. Union station Washington is  brilliant destination great atmosphere, superb architecture smack in front of capitol hill-with some good eating outlets. Penn Station in NYC at the other end of the trip is a dingy rabbit warren underneath Madison Square Garden, the magnificent original having been demolished. Grand Central on the other hand is genuinely iconic you can spend ages there looking round.

Keeping it local

#17 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Grand Central on the other hand is genuinely iconic you can spend ages there looking round.

Yup it's a pretty cool (and free) place to look around.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#18 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Yup it's a pretty cool (and free) place to look around.

The Oyster Bar is pretty good there, too.

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

The Oyster Bar is pretty good there, too.

sure is

Keeping it local

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

If you have a car then take a drive out of LA up the Pacific Coast Highway through Santa Monica & Malibu, passing through Oxnard and Ventura before joining the 101 and driving up along the coast to the beautiful town of Santa Barbara which is well worth a visit.

Apropos of not much, there have been some awesome bands from Oxnard. Dr Know, ILL Repute. ..great hardcore scene there.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users