What's on TV and When? Origin 2 and Round 16 and Game Talk

NRL Coverage in the UK

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

The weekend sees us almost back up to a full complement  - seven rather than eight league games.

To start us off though is Wednesday's Origin 2 game in QLD where the home state needs to win to keep the series alive.

Senior Club Coaches will be keeping their fingers crossed that their Origin stars come through unscathed and are all available to play in R16, as will everyone running teams in Fantasy League and Super Coach competitions.

Here's the fare on offer then in the UK:

PSportsSoORound162013_zpsf6868112.jpg

So all bar one of the games is being shown live - just  Knights v Titans contest held back while the Warriors/Broncos game is shown.

Don't forget you can enter this weeks Origin tipping competition and for that matter our Round 16 Tipping Comp.

You'll be very welcome.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

I've watched all 3 games thus far. I'm just totally hooked on this NRL good stuff.

Rabbitohs are formidable. The sporting underdog lover in me wants to root against them as league leaders but I just can't. They must be the perfect team to support right now - every time they get 20 metres out from the opponent's line, you expect them to score. Every time they defend their own line, you expect them to repel anything that's thrown at them. Every time they're coming off their own line, you expect them to make 50+ metres via a line break and get on the front foot. They're just a joy to watch and John Sutton I think is the most intelligent rugby league player on the planet. And all this without Matt King - for me the best player in Super League in 2011. I think they're comfortable favourites to win the GF from here and frankly hope they do (although I love the Titans just now as well).

Tigers-Storm was brilliant. The 2 Tigers wingers are really exciting and I like Sironen (sp?) in the halves. Robbie Farah is a classic example of a hooker who always plays with his head up and is a joy to watch. Not feeling Aaron Woods as Origin quality though. Essentially brainless player, always danger of a cheap penalty in the tackle. Tigers thoroughly deserved their win though for controlling the footie better in tough conditions.

Just posted in the general thread that I think the Panthers are nuts letting Walsh and Masoe (sp?) leave for St Helens next year - they were the 2 best players on the park in the Panthers-Dragons game. It's a very rare case of genuine NRL pedigree players leaving for Super League though, at least, with much more (Briscoe, Casty, Hock, Dobson et al) moving the other way. Panthers are a good team to watch as they chuck it about really freely but I think they'll be on the verge of the 8 at best come the business end.

Bring on tomorrow's games! :)

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

John Sutton has improved so much in the last year.

When Souths retained Sutton and let Sandow go there were voices saying they'd made the wrong call.

Since then they've been proved right.

There again it does help him to play with a big set of mobile and dgenerally dominant forwards.

As for Panthers there's a view expressed in Oz and on this forum that Walsh isn't the complete player and has a lack of pace and that certain something.

I think though he's better than is generally thought. I've had him in my 2013 fantasy team for most of the season and he has scored heavily. Mindst you he gave a good score one week and was dropped to the feeder club the next.

I expect when you realise that your head coach doesn't really rate you you have to look elsewhere.

I believe he'll do really well in SL.

It was good to watch Cowboys v Sharks today without there being heavy rain. Thurston had a great game - it's good to see he's kicking again. He made a big difference in the two sides on show. Sharks were missing Gallen.

#4 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yeah Thurston was pretty majestic, never a wasted kick with him is there?

My first ever look at the Knights and Cowboys today and both scored comfortable wins (both against the grain of the league standings too, which shows just what a competitive league NRL is) - I'm clearly something of a lucky charm for them! On that basis, we should all back the Sea Eagles heavily tomorrow, although there is the caveat that I saw their 2011 Grand Final triumph. Still, looking forward to seeing them in regular league action for the first time at the Roosters tomorrow and it should be a belter.

Gutted about Jamal Idris' ankle break, as I mentioned on here recently I think he's possibly the world's best centre just now. Sounds like that's his season done and it's a terrible blow for that exciting Titans side and the league in general. Hope to see him back ASAP.

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

As a Storm fan i find it impossible to back Manly - just is.

I've tipped and will be going for Roosters at home.

The Knights v Titans game is the only game in the round so far I haven't had time to watch as I was working at Rovers yesterday for our home game .

(Couldn't see Barney anywhere!)

Sorry to hear Idris got this injury.

There's a spate of high profile players copping quite serious injuries at the moment.

The Roosters v Sea eagles game kicks off shortly.

Enjoy!

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Cowboy Ashton Sims faces three-week ban for kneeing, while Dragons risk losing Josh Dugan

Link to story

#7 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

Good game Roosters-Sea Eagles. Despite their possession, Sea Eagles looked a bit toothless all night and a shadow of their GF winning side of a couple of years ago. Not sure I saw 1 single offload in the tackle from them. Not to take too much away from the Roosters though, who looked impressive again.

Thought Brett Stewart looked very assured at FB for Sea Eagles, plays the game very effortlessly and always inspires confidence. If I was an NSW selector I'd solve the Blake Ferguson problem by shifting Jarryd Hayne to the wing and reinstating Stewart at FB. Josh Dugan started Origin 2 well enough but then bombed a few later on and looked shaky for me. I'm not convinced he'd go well in Game 3. Stewart is a much safer pair of hands and was excellent in last year's series. Moving Hayne to the wing would lose some of his attacking edge but I think after Game 2 NSW need to think security first in the backs (ie take out any obvious target) and hope they muscle up with their slightly better pack. This would mean they could ditch the unconvincing Nathan Merritt, who I'm sure QLD would target heavily again. Any legs in this train of thought do we think?

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 01 July 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Brett Stewart has been injured and out for a while. He's the sort of player that you fear in the opposition team. He's a natural talent and potent strike force.

If he's match fit and Origin fit then I'd have him before I'd pick Dugan or even Hayne.

His brother Glenn when he was similarly back in the Manly team after injury a few weeks ago ruled himself out of Origin saying he was fit for Manly but not origin at that point. So does Brett himself think he will be Origin fit?

Home advantage will be a big factor in Origin 3. Other than that Blues can make changes but IF QLD play to their full potential with composure then I reckon they'll win any way up.

There'll be fingers crossed that injured stars will be back and available to play for the decider.

#9 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

The way I see it is that QLD are much stronger in the backs (and especially halves) but if NSW at least remove any weak link/target there (ie Merritt and also Dugan IMHO) then they take the pressure off someone like Hayne, who will otherwise be expected to provide the same strike as Game 1 from FB. They know they'll get some good playmaking from Farah (and even Lewis, up to a point) and should win the forward battle. This then puts all of the pressure - rightly - on the 2 NSW halves to step up, but if they don't the game isn't totally lost. I think the home advantage can easily turn against them if there are any obvious deficiencies outside of the halves or sky-high expectations on other backs to redress that balance. Mine could be seen as a slightly cautious approach but I think after Game 2 there needs to be some recognition of steadying the ship from NSW. I think it will be a mistake to attempt to write that game off and keep to the same blueprint as Game 2.

But yes, whether Stewart is "Origin fit" might remain to be seen, but I'd be moving mountains to get him on board and something tells me he wouldn't shirk the invite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users