Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

If you could ask Nigel Wood 1 question, what would it be?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Mine would be this, in response to his statement about the ongoing Super League talks yesterday:

"Given that licensing was born of the necessity to prevent the "boom and bust" of teams overspending to get to and compete in the top flight and also to prevent newly promoted sides from ritual humiliation when trying to quickly acclimatise to a new standard of competition, what has changed since licensing's advent to now enable us to confidently return to a promotion and relegation system without fear of the financial meltdown of a number of teams and/or the damage to the credibility of our elite competition that would be caused by a series of lopsided results?"

Just wondering if we're able to compile a good list, might someone with weight at Total RL be able to illicit some responses from Mr Wood? I know we all have our various frustrations with the sport at present and some kind of transparent communication I think would be most welcome.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 25 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#2 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

why are you pandering to small yorkshire clubs with archaic stadia?
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Are you tired of people continually moaning about the state of the game.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

You could have asked him properly just a few weeks ago.

Posted Image

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

Wtf were you thinking about when you gave Crusaders a licence?

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Who would win in a fight, a lion or a shark?

Edited by hindle xiii, 25 June 2013 - 03:41 PM.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

your place or mine?

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

You could have asked him properly just a few weeks ago.

Wood is the master of asinine responses. His recent foray onto twitter was lamentable.

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wood is the master of asinine responses. His recent foray onto twitter was lamentable.

Maybe he is RLMeltdown?

Posted Image

#10 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Sadly I could ask him a million and one questions and I'm not sure I would believe any reply he gave.

Therein lies one of his major problems for me.  Everything he says or the responses he gives to interviews sound like well rehearsed sound bites and worse still "management speak".  Whenever he is asked a question on TV that is not covered on his "script" he starts stammering, panicking and usually starts to repeat himself.  Maybe if he answered a question in a straightforward manner as if he was talking to a mate in the pub, the RL public would have more faith in him.

For all I know, he may be doing a better job than anybody else in the country could do.  However,he just gives the impression of somebody who is not in control of the direction the game should take and is being swept along with the tide.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Why do you think you are suitable to run the game considering your time at club level was not deemed a success? 

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#12 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Can you stop being head of the RFL?

#13 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Who ate all the pies

We seem to be using our players more in PR via community projects, could we build on that and use them in marketing our product eg in tv adverts with companies like Nando's,  Costa Coffee and Herbalife, who have had free advertising on the back of the players continually mentioning them on twitter etc

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#14 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Who would win in a fight, a lion or a shark?

:) :) :)
Now that would be a belter just to see the expression on his face.

Edited by Fax1978, 25 June 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#15 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Sadly I could ask him a million and one questions and I'm not sure I would believe any reply he gave.

Therein lies one of his major problems for me. Everything he says or the responses he gives to interviews sound like well rehearsed sound bites and worse still "management speak". Whenever he is asked a question on TV that is not covered on his "script" he starts stammering, panicking and usually starts to repeat himself. Maybe if he answered a question in a straightforward manner as if he was talking to a mate in the pub, the RL public would have more faith in him.

For all I know, he may be doing a better job than anybody else in the country could do. However,he just gives the impression of somebody who is not in control of the direction the game should take and is being swept along with the tide.

That's the best post I've ever read on here. Well said RE.

Our game needs someone heading it up who mirrors it's core values. Honest, direct, passionate, earthy, pragmatic and proud.

Mr Wood will move into politics next.....

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

:) :) :)
Now that would be a belter just to see the expression on his face.

As we seem to be in a week of nostalgia, it's a TRL classic.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

"Hello Nigel. Where do you see the game in five years time, ten years and twenty years, and what is your plan for getting there?"

To make it a bit more difficult, I'd like the answer to be devoid of anodyne phrases like "leverage", "facilitate", "maximise potential", "revenue streams" and all the other clart managers like to use to make it sound like they've got their own special scientific language.

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Or I'd ask, Do you think that Charles Darwin was right?

#19 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

How the **** are you still in this job!

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Should I be Bradford, should I be Leeds?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users