Photo
- - - - -

30/06/13 - Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game will produce the closest result? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will produce the closest result?

1. North Wales Crusaders v Rochdale Hornets (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. South Wales Scorpions v Hemel Stags (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Gateshead Thunder v Oldham (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Oxford v Gloucestershire All Golds (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Discuss this week's games in the Kingstone Press Championship 1 here.

SUNDAY 30 JUNE

North Wales Crusaders v Rochdale Hornets    14:30
South Wales Scorpions v Hemel Stags    15:00
Gateshead Thunder v Oldham    15:00
Oxford v Gloucestershire All Golds    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Never thought I'd be routing for the hornets but need them to beat crusaders so that we, Oldham, can go on and win every game and win the division by one point. Would be nice for hornets to deprive them of a bonus point as well.

#3 crulass

crulass
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Cant see Hornets beating the NWC but can see them getting a bonus point, think that its going to be a very close match. Oldham already seem to be resigned to finishing second in the league by reading some of the comments on here.

NWC owe the Hornet a bit of a thrashing after their Bravery V Budget comment

#4 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think a bonus point is the best Hornets can hope for but I can't see Gateshead and Gloucester getting much this weekend. Hope I am wrong in both cases. Scorpions .v. Hemel is tough to call and I have friends in both camps. Have to make a decision so, I hope Hemel win the game, but whoever loses will get a bonus point. Putting my feelings to one side and just using my head I think home advantage will make the difference for Scorpions this week.

#5 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

I reckon it'll be a win for the Crusaders with Rochdale getting the bonus point. With Oldham almost certain (nothing's definite in sport, after all) to beat Gateshead, this is very much a must win game for both sides.

#6 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

PREVIEWS

North Wales Crusaders v Rochdale Hornets (2.30pm)

Rochdale Hornets coach Ian Talbot will call on the club’s dual registration link with St Helens for the crucial trip to North Wales Crusaders, after a host of injuries.
Scrum-half Steve Roper could be out for the rest of the season with knee ligament damage, while in-form prop Warren Thompson has a leg complaint that will keep him out “for quite some time”.
Talbot also says that six or seven other players will be assessed just before the game, and with St Helens’ other partner club Whitehaven not having a game this weekend, the likes of Adam Swift, Gary Wheeler, Paul Clough and Anthony Walker could come into the reckoning.
Talbot said: “I’m going to have to use the dual registration system a little bit more than we have been doing and I’m sure that will attract criticism from some quarters.
“But it’s there to be used and our squad is like a casualty ward at the moment.
“Crusaders have been the benchmark this season so far but we’ve got to go there confident.”
North Wales coach Clive Griffiths was pleased with the improvement his side showed in winning at Gloucestershire All Golds a week after their first defeat of the season at Hemel.
“You can’t take your eye off the ball in this league and that was a vast improvement,” he said.
“We don’t know who we will be facing this weekend, but you can look at that in two ways – and it will be a good challenge for our boys.
“There is a bit of daylight between the teams and if we win that will put huge pressure on Rochdale – if we don’t win we will still be at the top with it in our hands.”
Crusaders are without Owain Griffiths, who has linked up with Wales Students ahead of their World Cup.

Gateshead Thunder v Oldham (3.00pm)

Gateshead Thunder have made three additions to their squad ahead of the visit of Oldham on Sunday.
Former York City Knights and Hull KR full-back James Haynes has joined the club, along with Myton duo Brad Krebs and Ricky Hough.
Heading in the opposite direction is Curtis Pullen, who has been allowed to leave due to a lack of first team rugby.
“It’s been a busy, busy week, and we’re very happy to have all three on board,” said Thunder coach Kevin Neighbour, who confirmed that the trio are all in contention to face the Roughyeds.
“We haven’t been able to offer Curtis the regular rugby he wants and needs in order to develop, but we wish him well.”
Oldham have lost Salford City Reds back row Jordan Walne, who played in last week’s win over Hemel Stags but has now returned on loan to Championship side Workington.
But they have moved quickly to replace him by signing Huddersfield Giants youngster Nathan Mason on a month’s loan, and he comes straight into contention.
Prop Jason Boults is also out for at least a month with a broken finger, and Anthony Bowman has hurt his shoulder – both in training.
In addition, Liam Thompson has sustained a gash that has required stitches, though better news surrounds winger Mo Agoro, who could return from an ankle injury.

Oxford v Gloucestershire All Golds (3.00pm)

Oxford coach Tony Benson insists his side cannot afford to take Gloucestershire All Golds lightly.
Benson’s side impressed in beating South Wales last weekend and he is keen to see a similar display against the side currently bottom of Kingstone Press Championship One.
He said: “We played well last week – we were pretty dominant in attach and defence.
“Things have started to come together now, and if we can improve on a couple of key areas we’ll be a good chance this week.
“Gloucestershire have improved a long, and have been there or thereabouts for long periods of games each week. It won’t be easy.”
Benson will give late fitness tests to Alex Thompson (ankle), Lucas Onyango (knee) and Chris Clarke (ankle).
Brad Hepi’s All Golds are still seeking their first Kingstone Press Championship One win, and their first victory since beating Skirlaugh in the Challenge Cup on April 7.
Since then they have lost nine straight matches, but have competed for much of those games.

South Wales Scorpions v Hemel Stags (3.00pm)

Hemel Stags have brought in Jy-Mel Coleman to play alongside brother Jermaine for Sunday’s trip to South Wales Scorpions.
Jy-Mel – the younger of the two – is expected to go straight into the Stags side after joining on a month’s loan from Dewsbury Rams.
Hemel coach Troy Perkins said: “Jy-Mel will add a bit of depth in the halves, and has been playing Championship rugby so will add something to us.
“South Wales are coming off a couple of defeats so will be looking to get their season back on track.
“There could be a bit of a gap between them and the top six if they lose on Sunday, so I’m sure their coach will be stressing how important a game it is for them.”
Perkins will make a late check on Chad Sharp, who has an outside chance of playing.
Scorpions coach Dave Clark has urged his side to improve and ensure they don’t finish the season empty handed.
“I spoke to side about responsibilities when we were in training on Tuesday,” he said. “Last week’s performance (against Oxford) was not acceptable and we spoke about responsibilities to the club and most important the fans who pay their hard earned money to watch us every week.
 “I’m looking for a reaction from the players as they know what’s at stake here.”
Courtney Davies is set to return this week but Dalton Grant is still absent, and the Scorpions’ student internationals are now unavailable for the next three weeks.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#7 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

Wins for Souths, Cru, Oxford and Oldham

Off to my first Cru game on Sunday. As i am volunteering for the RLWC i want to visit the stadiums that i am available to help at and i havent been already, so i know a bit more about it before the RLWC starts.

Already been the Spotland and Leigh Sports Village this year, and plan to visit the Shay in a few weeks

#8 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Cru will probably have the closest match.  Looking forward to seeing Oxford again after 3 weeks off (couldn't get to SW last week) - hopefully they'll be confident after last Saturday, although obviously not too confident.

It's good this league thing isn't it? Speaking as a Union fan..... I've been to every Oxford home game so far and am really watching RL properly for the first time.  Not going to stop me renewing my LWRFC season ticket mind, but I have added  an Oxford RL membership to it!

#9 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Jymel to make he's debut on sunday.

http://www.hemelstag...coleman-on-loan

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

#10 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

How many ex-Skolars have Stags got in their squad now ? Must be at least 6 now.

Should be win for Stags with South Wales missing their student internationals, though Hemel will be missing Aaron Small for similar reasons.

#11 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Jymel to make he's debut on sunday.

http://www.hemelstag...coleman-on-loan

That lad has a real appetite, always shows his hunger. Big signing.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#12 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Cant see Hornets beating the NWC but can see them getting a bonus point, think that its going to be a very close match. Oldham already seem to be resigned to finishing second in the league by reading some of the comments on here.

NWC owe the Hornet a bit of a thrashing after their Bravery V Budget comment

PREVIEWS

North Wales Crusaders v Rochdale Hornets (2.30pm)

Rochdale Hornets coach Ian Talbot will call on the club’s dual registration link with St Helens for the crucial trip to North Wales Crusaders, 

Now who's budget over bravery? Looks more like 'running scared' over 'the bravery to turn down dual reg' this season!!

We are Cru not someone else's run about club.

The hornets players must be gutted to work hard, train hard and still not get a chance when injuries make an opening for them.

#13 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Gutted to hear Hemel came so agonisingly close to getting a draw today. Bah! But..........CONGRATULATIONS to the All Golds!

#14 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Nine try romp for the Crusaders - Rochdale had no answer to what has to be the biggest side in the division by some way. Gate was 1086, with quite a good turn out by Rochdale, particularly considering their gates.

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

Cru will probably have the closest match.  Looking forward to seeing Oxford again after 3 weeks off (couldn't get to SW last week) - hopefully they'll be confident after last Saturday, although obviously not too confident.

It's good this league thing isn't it? Speaking as a Union fan..... I've been to every Oxford home game so far and am really watching RL properly for the first time.  Not going to stop me renewing my LWRFC season ticket mind, but I have added  an Oxford RL membership to it!

Glad to read of a rugby fan who can enjoy both codes!  They're very different.

Oxford came close but were just pipped by the All Golds who secured their first league win.  Good on them!  A competitive league is a good league IMO.

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

Nine try romp for the Crusaders - Rochdale had no answer to what has to be the biggest side in the division by some way. Gate was 1086, with quite a good turn out by Rochdale, particularly considering their gates.

Did Rochdale actually turn up?  They were absolutely hammered!  I didn't expect that.  The league has been pretty competitive so far but that final score is a serious drubbing.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

Well done to the Scorps on getting a win, especially at home. 

Poor old Gateshead were beaten again I see.  I do hope they manage to secure another couple of wins before season end.

#18 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Gutted to hear Hemel came so agonisingly close to getting a draw today. Bah! But..........CONGRATULATIONS to the All Golds!

Did Brad Hepi play?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#19 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Did Brad Hepi play?

Brad's not played since the first few games of the season. His son has been an ever-present though.

Terrific to see the All Golds win at last - hopefully they can kick on in the latter stages of the season and finish with a flourish.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#20 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Good news for the All Golds well played and points are the reward for your hard work, we could see the potential last week even though we beat you guys.

Best wishes for the rest of the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users