Photo
- - - - -

30/06/13 - Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game will produce the closest result? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will produce the closest result?

1. North Wales Crusaders v Rochdale Hornets (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. South Wales Scorpions v Hemel Stags (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Gateshead Thunder v Oldham (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Oxford v Gloucestershire All Golds (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Off to my first Cru game on Sunday.

and plan to visit the Shay in a few weeks

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the Racecouse ground today to watch an awesome performance by the NWC.

Come to the Shay in 3 weeks and watch us again (Bowl final).

Regards 7

#22 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Cru will probably have the closest match.  

48 - 0 Woops!  :rolleyes:

#23 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

1.086 attendance at Wrexham today. Great effort from the fans as well.

#24 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

48 - 0 Woops!  :rolleyes:

Fair one, but I got our result wrong too! On paper I still think my predictions were fair enough. Oxford were bleddy (and unexpectedly) abject today - without taking anything away from the All Golds who of course can only play the team in front of them. I have to say though that i'm a bit startled - when we played rugby we totally outclassed them - i suspect they just didn't take them seriously enough and deserved to suffer as a a consequence. What happened to Rochdale??

#25 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thank god for that, after all the recent turmoil in the club in recent weeks, the agony of losing in the last minute to Oldham and the awful performance against Oxford, to get that important winning result and keep the season alive. WELL IN THE SCORPS!  The All Golds game will take on even greater significance next week with their win as well, Championship 1 is proving the competitive division in RL. The Crusaders are running away with it.

Edited by sgorpioncaerdyddrob, 30 June 2013 - 07:12 PM.

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

#26 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

How many ex-Skolars have Stags got in their squad now ? Must be at least 6 now.

Should be win for Stags with South Wales missing their student internationals, though Hemel will be missing Aaron Small for similar reasons.

interesting question that. its over 8 for sure. i think the hemel mgt said they didnt want to 'poach' at the start of the season but that didnt last long. 

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#27 determination is the key

determination is the key
  • Coach
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

IM2 for your information we have 4 ex Skolars players at the club at present and those players all joined Hemel Stags due to limited playing opportunity at Skolars. Prime example is Aaron Small who was selected once last season for Skolars and that was in a Northern Rail Cup game against Toulouse. This season Aaron has thrived in the enviroment as Hemel and has played every game including Northern Rail Cup, Challenge Cup and Championship One. His performances have also been recognised by being selected in the England Students Squad. My guess is if Hemel didn't give him an opportunity he would be still playing in your second team.Other players that were not wanted by Skolars were Jermaine Coleman etc who has been a great addition to the first team through his coaching and playing ability. We also have Austin Aggrey and now Jymel Coleman on loan.

Is it sour grapes that we have already defeated you in the league and at the half way mark of the competition the Stags were higher up the table than Skolars. Instead of moaning about so called "poaching" why not be happy for your former players that weren't wanted by your club and have done pretty well for Hemel and have contributed to there pretty good start to the season. There is still along way to go and who knows where Hemel will finish but the club and players should be commended with what they have achieved so far with a very limited players budget ( probably half of Skolars" and a squad in which the majority of the players were playing amateur last season.

I follow the club closely and am a season ticket holder and I am pretty sure most of the information above is correct. So saying we have over eight players from Skolars is untrue and the poaching comment is way off the mark. Players can sign with whatever club they want its a free market just like if most of Oldham's squad last season has signed with oxford this season, I commend them for trying to develop another team outside the heartlands and if they want to get on a coach from Wigan to oxford for training and home games, good luck to them

#28 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

interesting question that. its over 8 for sure. i think the hemel mgt said they didnt want to 'poach' at the start of the season but that didnt last long. 

Did they poach or did the players approach them?

They could hardly be blamed for signing experienced players that wanted to play for Hemel.

#29 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

IM2 for your information we have 4 ex Skolars players at the club at present and those players all joined Hemel Stags due to limited playing opportunity at Skolars. Prime example is Aaron Small who was selected once last season for Skolars and that was in a Northern Rail Cup game against Toulouse. This season Aaron has thrived in the enviroment as Hemel and has played every game including Northern Rail Cup, Challenge Cup and Championship One. His performances have also been recognised by being selected in the England Students Squad. My guess is if Hemel didn't give him an opportunity he would be still playing in your second team.Other players that were not wanted by Skolars were Jermaine Coleman etc who has been a great addition to the first team through his coaching and playing ability. We also have Austin Aggrey and now Jymel Coleman on loan.

Is it sour grapes that we have already defeated you in the league and at the half way mark of the competition the Stags were higher up the table than Skolars. Instead of moaning about so called "poaching" why not be happy for your former players that weren't wanted by your club and have done pretty well for Hemel and have contributed to there pretty good start to the season. There is still along way to go and who knows where Hemel will finish but the club and players should be commended with what they have achieved so far with a very limited players budget ( probably half of Skolars" and a squad in which the majority of the players were playing amateur last season.

I follow the club closely and am a season ticket holder and I am pretty sure most of the information above is correct. So saying we have over eight players from Skolars is untrue and the poaching comment is way off the mark. Players can sign with whatever club they want its a free market just like if most of Oldham's squad last season has signed with oxford this season, I commend them for trying to develop another team outside the heartlands and if they want to get on a coach from Wigan to oxford for training and home games, good luck to them

Jermaine Coleman, Jy-Mel Coleman, Gareth Honor, Austen Aggrey, Eddie M'Baraga (a Skolars junior), Guy Aldam, Aaron Small.

That 6 and 1 loan player.

Maybe IM2 can list the others.

Given Hemel are above Skolars in the league, maybe Skolars should have held onto some of these players.

#30 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

Cant say Jy-Mel Coleman has been poached, he's a Dewsbury player isnt he? Gareth Honor, obviously not in the squad any more due to injury,.... I might be wrong but am I right in thinking he'd already left the Skolars when he went to Hemel? Aggrey - he was shown the door by the Skolars. Aldam - think Skolars let him go 2 years ago & he played amateur for Stags last season.M'Baraga - an even longer term Hemel amateur

Another one not mentioned is Aiden Pritchard

I'm liking the rising needle between the clubs though - full on rivalry here we come ;-)

#31 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Rugby League is 17 men versus 17 men. If players don't get in one team they tend to move to another. What is the problem? Unless of course they are owned by a Super Greed club, in which case they can play more or less where ever they are told to!

#32 determination is the key

determination is the key
  • Coach
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

The other players at Hemel that have links to Skolars are Guy Aldam ( played one season at Skolars after leaving Broncos and during that time played 2 first team games and was told that he was no longer wanted at Skolars so he went to play amateur at Hemel three seasons ago. Eddie Mbaraga is a Skolars junior but hasn't played for the club for about nine seasons and has played at Hemel for the past seven seasons as an amateur up until this season. The point is that players can go where they want and up until this season and player that come out of the Broncos system or wanted to play a good level of rugby league in London went to Skolars as there was no other option. Now Hemel are a semi pro club it actually gives players a choice and Skolars dont have a hold over all players, I think this is the thing that Skolars are finding hard to deal with and it doesnt matter how much money they may throw at players if they are not happy they wont stay and this is the case with the players that have moved from Skolars to Hemel. We should all be pushing rugby league in the same direction not people like IM2 getting on forums and complaining about minor things, I think its more sour grapes and just proves that Skolars cannot buy a competition which they thought they could this season.

#33 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

aidan pritchard was a contracted player fro 2012. interestingly both he and coleman played for hemel whilst contracted to the skolars in 2012 without being released or permission being granted. as to sour grapes maybe. however as in all situations there are 2 sides to a story. 

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#34 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

sorry should have said. long term i do think its great that players at this level have way more chances to prove themselves and get game time. its also great to have local rivalry and a bit of banter is bound to arise. Smalley is a great example and good luck to him. He has shown what hes made off and in a way i think the skolars set up are proud of him. i am pretty sure the return game between the clubs will be well worth seeing. hemel did a job on us before and well done to them it was well deserved.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#35 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Proper rl fans and proper rl clubs down south with petty squabbles about who developed which player, well done lads - you understand the mind set now
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#36 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Well my RL experience this week was a strange one.... sitting in Glastonbury Festival...listening to Kenny Rogers..... whooping away as each Crusaders score came through by text!!

My chanting in the Stone Circle obviously did the trick!

#37 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

In addition to that, you could label All Golds as South Wales old boys - James Gahan, Yannick Parker, Curtis Cunningham, Chris Vitalini, Lewis Reece and our top try scorer Steve Parry all played for the club either last  season, or as little as a month ago for the club.

If there wasn't a need to rebuild the squad each year, it might be a really good side competing at the top of the league.

Edited by sgorpioncaerdyddrob, 02 July 2013 - 08:59 AM.

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

#38 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

You won't have a settled team of your own Rob while Wigan are telling your coach which Wigan players they wants accommodating in your team each week!

#39 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

The Dual Reg situation in Rochdale, with St Helens 'recommending' their coach too,  is the hot topic on their forum boards.  Thankfully North Wales Crusaders stayed well clear of that situation - and are the better for it too,.

#40 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think you will find that you didn't want Hemel to talk or take any of your players and you would let players who wern't featuring in your squad to come to play for the Stags, ;) Hemel thought it would be better to let the players choose who they wanted to play for. :tongue:

Edited by Stag Fan, 02 July 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users