- - - - -

Spending review

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Ending progression pay in civil service will go down well....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Ah well.  I wonder how that'll go down with the unions.  I think there may be a few strikes to come!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ah well.  I wonder how that'll go down with the unions.  I think there may be a few strikes to come!

Oh just a few!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

I genuinely can't understand how councils will be able to operate with yet another 10% cut.  I've seen the deep and immensely painful cuts that councils have already had to make and most just cannot fund statutory services around social care never mind things that are marked as "nice to have" like libraries and parks.  Will the government commit to accept the blame when there are inevitable tragedies because social care has been cut?

HS2 still on the table despite it being clearly a "nice to have" right at the very wishful thinking end of "nice to have".

"Elite sport" to be protected from cuts but community sport budgets reduced by 5%.  Yep, they clearly think that "elite" sports people just come into being without having a community game as a grounding.

Argh.. can I listen to more of this?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's interesting watching the body language though.

Nick Clegg looks like he's about to cry, his body language is defensive and anxious.  You can almost read this thoughts "oh, f***, what have I done?"  It's almost a classic body language manual of high stress, the only thing he could do to make it more classic is if he were to curl up in a foetal position on the floor.

Cameron looks like a well drilled drone though, neutral body language, serious part-frown, ready to do business with nowt but empty thoughts going through his head.

I did notice Osborne doing very, very well in making it clear that the Lib Dems, Danny Alexander in particular, were very helpful in getting the cuts identified.  He's made it abundantly clear that this is a Coalition spending review, not a Tory one.

#6 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Pay frozen - goodbye to attending RL at CH or SL level . I barely live on £8 an hour. Sky, tv & broadband to go next 

I'm going to town now to get my £82 bus pass so I can return to work still unwell but scared to lose my job. I shall spend the £20 Next voucher my colleagues bought for me whilst I've been off on a pair of shoes for work. I am not looking for sympathy, just trying to stress how hard it really is down here.

I've argued long and hard for performance related pay and I know there are dead legs, and bad management, but for goodness sake...aim at the salaries above the average

*maybe I need to read it all first and see the details, but the headlines got me in rant mode

Edited by amh, 26 June 2013 - 12:19 PM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Labour's rebuttal is being spoiled for me by that distracting white spot on top of Miliband's head.

Pointless drivel so far by Balls.  Enough that if it were a rebuttal posted on here that we'd be looking at it sternly in moderating terms to see whether it's a serious rebuttal or just trolling.

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Mixed emotions on this.

1. Primarily, it is grossly unfair to cut services in deprived areas where those authority-run services are much more required than in affluent areas.

2. Bradford Council is so inept and opaquely-administered that it could do with a radical shake-up. Redundancy for two particular planning officers would cause no tears to be shed in this house.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ending progression pay in civil service will go down well....

Progression pay? That's where teachers and the like get a pay rise for sticking it out for a year is it not? is it based on their ability to do the job?

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Progression pay? That's where teachers and the like get a pay rise for sticking it out for a year is it not? is it based on their ability to do the job?

It's exactly the same setup as in many professional services companies in the UK but they don't get publicised.  For example, a lawyer joining a medium to large law firm today as a newly qualified lawyer will know exactly what their basic pay will be in 3 years time because it'll be mapped out for them.

The difference is that that lawyer will be getting 15-20% pay rises year on year.

It's easy to bag on the civil servants affected but realistically it's only those on the lowest bands that will be affected, not those marked as senior civil servants.

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Osborne bollocked by the speaker for not answering questions! :D

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

That will save even more on the salary bill. End to progression pay? so there hasn't been a pay freeze after all? 

On the local authority front, Cheshire East council has just given £400K to Macc Town FC and also wasted £800K  on the Lyme Green waste facility when it didn't have planing permission and did not go out to tender correctly  - and plus the costs of payoff to the senior staff responsible. One example of waste only, but if that were replicated....

Still, As Liam Byre said, " there's no money left, we've spent it all."

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

It's exactly the same setup as in many professional services companies in the UK but they don't get publicised.  For example, a lawyer joining a law firm today as a newly qualified lawyer will know exactly what their basic pay will be in 3 years time because it'll be mapped out for them.

The difference is that that lawyer will be getting 15-20% pay rises year on year.

It's easy to bag on the civil servants affected but realistically it's only those on the lowest bands that will be affected, not those marked as senior civil servants.

it's only those on the lowest bands that will be affected, not those marked as senior civil servants.

are you sure about that?

#14 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

When I was in the civil service, poor performance could result in staying at the pay band/point you was at.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

it's only those on the lowest bands that will be affected, not those marked as senior civil servants.

are you sure about that?

Not entirely... I remember a meeting I was in when the banding structure was explained to me and automatic progression only applies up to a set grade, after that pay rises are set by an external panel to all grades, usually slightly above inflation but not much.  I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected.

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

On this review discussion, I'm not best pleased that the entire shadow cabinet has walked off leaving a junior minister on benchwarming duties while the Chancellor is still talking and answering questions.  Come on Mr Balls, show a bit of respect to Parliament and stay to give the Labour MPs behind some support when they try to tie down the Chancellor.

#17 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

On this review discussion, I'm not best pleased that the entire shadow cabinet has walked off leaving a junior minister on benchwarming duties while the Chancellor is still talking and answering questions.  Come on Mr Balls, show a bit of respect to Parliament and stay to give the Labour MPs behind some support when they try to tie down the Chancellor.

The consequence of this is that Osborne is now able to repeatedly refer to the Shadow Chancellor and his incompetence without rebuttal.  It's almost non-stop now, Labour MP raises question, Osborne replies with "well it was worse under your government" or "your Shadow Chancellor says differently".  Either that or toadie Tory MP raises a question about how ###### Labour are or how ###### Balls is and Osborne gets a free hit at Labour.

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

On the BBC news bit just now, all of the capital investment that Osborne was so proud of announcing will come from PFI and other non-state funding.  Yay for all that extra long-term expensive debt!

#19 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

The consequence of this is that Osborne is now able to repeatedly refer to the Shadow Chancellor and his incompetence without rebuttal. 

To be honest, even if the chamber was full of Labour mp's I'm not convinced they'd be able to rebutt anything regards Balls and his incompetence.

#20 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

To be honest, even if the chamber was full of Labour mp's I'm not convinced they'd be able to rebutt anything regards Balls and his incompetence.

There is that :D

That said, it's a bit rich coming from Osborne, Balls is a financial genius in comparison to Osborne.  Osborne's plans are so full of inconsistencies and holes and he got away with it because Balls barely hung around to get his weak rebuttal in.  A slot on the BBC programme was obviously far more preferable than sitting in Parliament.  Only one gets recorded in Hansard though.

So... I've had a go at the three big parties on here... UKIP representative was just on the BBC review.  A nothing question thrown at him trying to get depth on something he said and you'd think he'd been accused of molesting sheep going by how flustered he got.  I applaud the UKIP speaking up on things that are not EU or immigrant related but, come on, I'd expect a school kid to have done better than the person they put forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users