• 787 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

According to Love Rugby, Ryan Shaw has gone on a months loan to London Broncos

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

If we stay up we should make an attempt to sign him. If we stay up Swinton will likely go down, which means Warrington won't have anywhere to store their players and we may have half a chance of getting him permanently.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

And once again they want everyone to believe that the six players that "signed" for Swinton from Warrington, including Ryan Shaw, are under the control of Swinton and their coach.     Here we have a club fighting to stay in the Championship and one of their top young players, Like Mendieka and Glen Riley before have been loaned out by Swinton.    When will Tony Smith come out and take the weight of Swinton by saying that he has worked the system to assist his Warrington club players to gain game time?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Warrington didn't want the system changing. I think they're abusing it intentionally to see the flaws in this one. It's a shame that a side which has challenge cups to it's name is just now a dumping ground for a SL clubs spare players though.

#5 Thirty Three

Thirty Three
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

Warrington didn't want the system changing. I think they're abusing it intentionally to see the flaws in this one. It's a shame that a side which has challenge cups to it's name is just now a dumping ground for a SL clubs spare players though.

Good Luck to Ryan. Hope it goes well for him there and he is getting some game time in Super League.

"All things must pass....."

#6 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

yeah good luck Ryan

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#7 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hope it works out for ryan as he gave his all at barrow and wish we still had him ! good luck ryan

#8 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hope it works out for ryan as he gave his all at barrow and wish we still had him ! good luck ryan

Hear Hear.

#9 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

According to todays Rugby Leaguer Ryan is one of a host of Warrington players that signed permanently for Swinton at the beginning of the season. If this was so I hardly think he would go on loan to Broncos.

Posted Image

#10 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well he has gone on loan.

Several wolves players signed for swinton so they can have more on DR from Warrington, another flaw in DR system.

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#11 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Who is paying his wages then. Warrington or Swinton.

Posted Image

#12 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

It'll be Warrington I'd imagine.

#13 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

As a follower of Swinton for many years up until this season I have kept a keen eye on any information that has come into the public domain on this issue.  The vested interests are such that there might be another angle.

The material that Ralph Rimmer produced in response to challenges from various fans made interesting reading.

i.e. So I put to you the question of "What if.....???"...

What if the RFL was complicit in "advising" Warrington and Swinton on opportunistic ways of working the system to get around the problem of the Wolves having a swathe of young players that they didn't wish to release but were left with no academy side to play for, due to other SL clubs voting to pull the plug?

Just perhaps the RFL colluded with the Wolves to the effect that, provided Swinton Lions was prepared to be swamped by players that in truth belonged to another club, the RFL would play ball by allowing a number of them to be registered on 12 month deals with Swinton and thereby circumvent the 5 player limit?  Perhaps the RFL saw that as the easiest way to pour cold water on any possible dissent from the Wolves about the academy cuts.  Therein the RFL may have provided advice, to the effect that, "provided these players are given a choice....blah blah.... you could do the following.....".

At the same time, the management of Swinton Lions had seen its first team squad thrashed by the Wolves 112-0 in the Challenge Cup and then comprehensively beaten by the Wolves youngsters in a pre-season friendly.  Plus a number of its squad had already left for better offers from elsewhere. So they jumped at the chance of having a host of young players, effectively subsidised by the Wolves to train full-time, in its side. Sadly, rather than protecting the integrity of Swinton Lions as a standalone entity, the club's owners were only interested in how they could exploit what they saw as a gift-wrapped opportunity to the greatest extent possible.

So just possibly there are 3 parties to this arrangement who are  "all in it together".

It will be interesting to see what happens for 2014.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#14 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

As a follower of Swinton for many years up until this season I have kept a keen eye on any information that has come into the public domain on this issue.  The vested interests are such that there might be another angle.

The material that Ralph Rimmer produced in response to challenges from various fans made interesting reading.

i.e. So I put to you the question of "What if.....???"...

What if the RFL was complicit in "advising" Warrington and Swinton on opportunistic ways of working the system to get around the problem of the Wolves having a swathe of young players that they didn't wish to release but were left with no academy side to play for, due to other SL clubs voting to pull the plug?

Just perhaps the RFL colluded with the Wolves to the effect that, provided Swinton Lions was prepared to be swamped by players that in truth belonged to another club, the RFL would play ball by allowing a number of them to be registered on 12 month deals with Swinton and thereby circumvent the 5 player limit?  Perhaps the RFL saw that as the easiest way to pour cold water on any possible dissent from the Wolves about the academy cuts.  Therein the RFL may have provided advice, to the effect that, "provided these players are given a choice....blah blah.... you could do the following.....".

At the same time, the management of Swinton Lions had seen its first team squad thrashed by the Wolves 112-0 in the Challenge Cup and then comprehensively beaten by the Wolves youngsters in a pre-season friendly.  Plus a number of its squad had already left for better offers from elsewhere. So they jumped at the chance of having a host of young players, effectively subsidised by the Wolves to train full-time, in its side. Sadly, rather than protecting the integrity of Swinton Lions as a standalone entity, the club's owners were only interested in how they could exploit what they saw as a gift-wrapped opportunity to the greatest extent possible.

So just possibly there are 3 parties to this arrangement who are  "all in it together".

It will be interesting to see what happens for 2014.

Phil I hope nobody from the Swinton forum come on here and read this line of thought... you are already in the badbooks over there for daring to speak some sense to the Swinton Wolves converts ;)

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#15 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

How sad for the sports integrity/image.

#16 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

There's a lot of "ifs" and "buts" there PhilH and who is to say you may not be correct!! There certainly has not been any satisfactory explanations from the RFL about this matter and the fact that SL clubs are now using partnered Championship clubs to give game time to older, more experienced players returning from injury, flies directly against the purpose of the DR system as stated in the RFL's own Operational Rules. That purpose was to help to develop YOUNG players to reach SL standards not what we have been seeing. So, whilst your supposition may be far off it is still a possibility that the RFL have been aware for some time that Tony Smith at Warrington is merely having a laugh at the system and the RFL.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#17 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

like I said in previous posts. barrow raiders got hammered 2 seasons ago and got hung out to dry because of what des done to the club but what has gone on this season in my opinion is scandalous. this duel reg ,season loan, or what ever they want to invent for the next strange exchange of a players input to another team is just what we got our ar*es kicked for.

the rfl should have came out earlier with a set page of rules and let all clubs and supporters see what exactly was going to happen or made all clubs sign up to a pool of players which would have been made available and give this game a level playing field.

im sure all this palava doesn't go on in rugby union and I bet none of their fans would put up with this soap opera.

#18 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

There's a lot of "ifs" and "buts" there PhilH and who is to say you may not be correct!! There certainly has not been any satisfactory explanations from the RFL about this matter and the fact that SL clubs are now using partnered Championship clubs to give game time to older, more experienced players returning from injury, flies directly against the purpose of the DR system as stated in the RFL's own Operational Rules. That purpose was to help to develop YOUNG players to reach SL standards not what we have been seeing. So, whilst your supposition may be far off it is still a possibility that the RFL have been aware for some time that Tony Smith at Warrington is merely having a laugh at the system and the RFL.

Clearly I cannot bear witness to the nature of the negotiations that took place, so it is purely a supposition on my part based on the intelligence that has emerged from Warrington, Swinton and the RFL.

So perhaps what's gone on is not really a case of "Tony Smith laughing at the system and RFL", rather the RFL being sensitive to Warrington's situation and helping Tony Smith to find a way around it. The knock on effect being Swinton Lions fielding a majority of players who in truth belong to Warrington but done under a false pretense in order to get past the limit of 5 per team.

Even today I read Adrian Morley, stating that Glenn Riley is in line to take over from him and Gareth Carvell at the Wolves next season, when supposedly Riley is Swinton's player. Everyone can see its a total sham, yet what had the RFL said or done about it? Diddly squat - which makes me suspect they have been complicit in the whole thing.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users