Sports Betting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Wondering if anyone on here can answer a question for me about bookmakers and the sports they cover. As I understand it bookies in this country pay something like 10% of their gross profits into the Horse Racing Levy which is, in turn, used for a variety of things but mostly prize money for horse races. So far so fair.

But do bookies pay other sports for their products?

Taking RL, for example, every week there are 7 SL and a dozen semi-pro matches staged around the country. And the bookies all offer various ways to bet on these events. Are they taking someone else's product and using it to make money without paying for that product?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#2 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Simple answer is no. It would be unfair to say that horse racing would die without betting, but it does, for the most part, exist because of betting. This is even more so with greyhound racing.

The same doesn't really apply to other sports, yet as the number of bets placed on non-racing events grows ever greater, you can see the authorities from other sports sniffing around for some of the action.

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Simple answer is no. It would be unfair to say that horse racing would die without betting, but it does, for the most part, exist because of betting. This is even more so with greyhound racing.

The same doesn't really apply to other sports, yet as the number of bets placed on non-racing events grows ever greater, you can see the authorities from other sports sniffing around for some of the action.

It's interesting though. When a sport puts on an event it is selling a product to fans, to sponsors, and to broadcasters. It's only right that bookies should pay for that same product too.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

It's interesting though. When a sport puts on an event it is selling a product to fans, to sponsors, and to broadcasters. It's only right that bookies should pay for that same product too.

I'm sure there will be some sort of test case sooner rather than later. Certainly, it's something that sports authorities in Spain have been investigating - Real Madrid tried to argue that my company ought to pay a fee for pricing up their games as we were using their name and the name of their players. Didn't go anywhere, but it won't be the last of it I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users