Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Time to Go.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 domo

domo
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

This is the first time i have contributed to the forum and is through pure frustration that i feel compelled to offer my opinion. The display last weekend was as bad as anything i have seen since the end of the Peter Roe era. Rock bottom and the team looking hapless, total apathy in the town and indeed on this website. I have always had reservations about Darren Holt as coach but last week confirmed it.

Has anybody clinically analysed how Darren actually got the job as coach? A good/average 1st/2nd division player, coach for a season at a local RU club, a lot of self confidence, a large portion of self entitlement and i presume he had his coaching badges. It seemed to me at the time that his support was built on a vindictive internet attack on the previous Chairman whilst proclaiming to have all the answers but who along with others had hidden agenda`s. I am no apologist for Des but the hints on the forum at the time of other investors waiting to step in have have not materialised. If the job was chosen on playing achievements then surely Gary Broadbent would have been a better bet, instead Gary is learning the coaching 

trade the correct way, with the amateurs, as do most good coaches.

As for the playing staff this year, i know we are financially burdened but the lack of cutting edge in the centres has been a priority from the start but has never been addressed. One of the best forward performances at CP this year was by a local amateur, Nicholson from Dalton. He supposedly has a bad boy reputation but that is for the coach to sort out, Cresta seems to get the best out of him, for whatever reason we never saw him again. What we need in times of crisis is experience and a cool head.I don`t know you personally Darren and you may be a very nice bloke but it really is time to step aside and let us hope that Cresta will take up the reins again, if only till the end of the season.

#2 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Interesting points domo. . But I think cresta is going with the amateurs to Australia till September ? So he's not gonna be available

#3 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

When Darren stood up to be counted who else put themselves forward?
It was clearly stated that whoever took the job would have to build a squad with no money being made available.
The general consensus was that here was a guy with good knowledge of the local players and who himself cared for Barrow and clearly was not there to rip the club off. The coaching team of Phil Atkinson and Dean Marwood also know the local RL scene and they have brought in some of the best local players. It has to be remembered that not every good amateur wants to play at Pro level.
In addition they brought in Kurt Haggerty and Matthew Haggarty ( who improves with every game).
I know times are tough and these are not the best of days to support the Raiders. the club is trying to cut its cloth to suit its purse.
But I would call on everyone to hang on in, support our club the good times will return.

Edited by bearman, 27 June 2013 - 06:42 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Well said bearman .. It breaks my heart to see the team , coaching staff and the BOD being ripped apart on a daily basis ! My head is down so god knows how they must feel ! I will support the raiders through good and bad and I know we will get through this . Just hang in there

#5 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Well said bearman .. It breaks my heart to see the team , coaching staff and the BOD being ripped apart on a daily basis ! My head is down so god knows how they must feel ! I will support the raiders through good and bad and I know we will get through this . Just hang in there

Very nicely put mate and us stalwarts echo the sentiment....unfortunately not all punters will see it like this and will vote with their feet... which when it comes down to it will hurt the finances even more . Without bums on seats its a slippery slope :(

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#6 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Good posts on this stream. At last a sensible stream. I will support through thick and thin but I agree with you Lee.

Posted Image

#7 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Matthew Haggarty ( who improves with every game).

Really?  no better than any locals wont be here next year ;) i believe/heard/rumour he is sorted elsewhere.

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#8 Deep

Deep
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

If D Holt had any respect for Barrow Rugby Club, the fans and debenture holders he would walk away now.

Last season we were promoted but failed to finish top that would have given the club £50k, his reward was to be given a two year contract (as I understand by a director which is no longer on the board).

No one but no one should be given a two year contract until they have proven themselves over a number of years, and, if so, it should only be on the proviso that the club avoided relegation in the first year of that contract.

It appears the only people that don't realise that we are going to be relegated is the coaching staff, I read D Holts comments in the Evening Mail and every time he fails to convince or inspire me, if I find it hard how can he inspire/motivate the players, these player are being chopped and changed every week, they don' know if they are playing fullback, scrumhalf, wing, centre or in the pack.

D Holt stated this week he does not think he has lost the dressing room, it's not what I've heard, Mr Holt should remember this is a small town and word gets around, the players are not going to say it to his face if they want to picked for the next game.

He has lost the support of the majority of the fans, yes one or two will back him but not many.

Gates are dropping, even season ticket holders no longer go, people are walking out halve way through the game, away support has dropped, people paying at the gate have said they won't come back until things change, can we honestly financially survive in a lower division with trips to London, Hemel Hempstead, South Wales, Gloucester, Oxford, which I presume would all involve the cost of an overnight stay in a hotel of some kind.

As Donno said it's time to go Mr Holt before it is to late and you are remembered not as a record points scorer for the club but the coach that took us down to G** knows where.

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

How is the drop in away support Darren Holts fault?

#10 Deep

Deep
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

By away support I mean Barrow fans travelling to away games.

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Oh thought you meant the away support which attends Craven park.

#12 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I would consider that doing so well last season was not a failure. Look at some of these other clubs who did not finish as well as Raiders and have continued to chug along on limited resources....are their fans demanding the coach goes?

I hope you have read Acky's piece in the EMail which suggests that the players have put their hands up and admitted that THEY are at fault.

Deep, you are a follower of Raiders, not a supporter, with those comments. Like too many moaners on this forum. 

From being deep in the mire, getting to a final and coming second in the league was a heck of an achievement with the limited resources available. So the league positiion is not pretty, but look at the failings of some of the others.

They rely on dual-reg and don't win, they have a policy of "spend what you don't have and someone will dig them out of the pit they get in" Some clubs will not"buy" success, they work with CONTINUITY from directors down to coach, players etc. Amateur players, as has been said , may be good, but don't have the ability to commit to semi-pro conditions, and may not want to either. Perhaps they play for the fun/enjoyment of the game. You don't want, and can't afford journeymen.

I get fed up of reading the constant whinging and negativity postings of a small minority.

Have you considered that the club is working on a tight budget and the fans/supporters may well also be in the same situation where money is tight and cannot afford the extra expense of travelling to away games. I know quite a few who have said to me that rugby is their passion but family life is the priority. It is not just an extra £15 bus ride on top of the entry fee to a game (£10-£15), but the food etc as well. One person spending , possibly £50 of a household budget, in tough times does not go down to well.[Even more if a family is involved].

Leave Holty alone, or support the guy for doing his best and have a go at the players who are not giving 100%

Edited for Corrections of poor spelling!!

Edited by Eagleraider, 01 July 2013 - 06:59 PM.

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#13 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

I totally agree..Holty stood up to the plate and, in my opinion had a great 2012 season. look at where we were at the start of the year and where we ended up that wasn't by accident.

This season was always going to be tough and survival with the squad was our goal. The club needs stability and support these go hand in hand with results and unfortunately we have had very little of any.

Its like the fire triangle, you need all three elements before you get the results required. 

We have the stability in Holty with a two year contract, the support is falling away which means the results will be hard to find. We need to get behind the team, Holty and the club both physically and vocally at each game.

Sorry for waffling on but too many people are walking away from the club. 

Edited by soss, 01 July 2013 - 05:10 PM.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#14 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Well said Eagleraider and Soss.
I read the articles in today's EM on line and it seems that a positive message is coming out of Craven Park.
A couple of good results and all will be forgiven.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#15 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Cresta had some interesting words to say about Cumbrian RL and Raiders in particular on RC. He does not believe Raiders will go down but it will be a dog fight until the end of the season. I hope he's right.

I agree with above 3 posts keep supporting Raiders and talk positively.

Posted Image

#16 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

The club has been hamstrung by DJ and is financially troubled by having to pay him back, meaning were relying on a lot of local amateur players stepping up and playing semi pro for the 1st or 2nd season, its a steep learning curve.

Now is the right time for siege mentality, them against us, all rally round ,the fans, die hards, casual supporters, directors and most important of all the players, go out and beat York RL, Regain some confidence and bring home the 3 points, use the Fev defeat as our lowest ebb of the season but also a springboard to our recovery.

If the club really challenge from York onwards then the support will have something to cheer you on with.

COME ON BARROW RL.  

Edited by mick wilson, 02 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#17 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

The club has been hamstrung by DJ and is financially troubled by having to pay him back, meaning were relying on a lot of local amateur players stepping up and playing semi pro for the 1st or 2nd season, its a steep learning curve.

Now is the right time for siege mentality, them against us, all rally round ,the fans, die hards, casual supporters, directors and most important of all the players, go out and beat York RL, Regain some confidence and bring home the 3 points, use the Fev defeat as our lowest ebb of the season but also a springboard to our recovery.

If the club really challenge from York onwards then the support will have something to cheer you on with.

COME ON BARROW RL.

great post mick.

#18 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

The club has been hamstrung by DJ and is financially troubled by having to pay him back, meaning were relying on a lot of local amateur players stepping up and playing semi pro for the 1st or 2nd season, its a steep learning curve.

COME ON BARROW RL.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users