League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about new RFL statement: New Operational Rules after the inquest into the tragic death of Christopher James Brown.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm a little confused by the RFL's recent Press Release about the changes to the Operational Rules.

http://www.therfl.co...7/rfl-statement

I know the statement says he died in May 2010 but is the statement referring to Chris Brown from Silsden who tragically died after suffering a brain hemorrhage when his head hit the ground in a tackle playing for Silsden Park Rangers in September 2009?

http://www.thetelegr..._tragic_player/

http://www.cravenher...er_head_injury/

Does it mean that there was not a qualified physio present at the game and do the new rules mean all Community teams require to have a qualified physio with them on game day or will it go further, such as St John's Ambulances at games?

Edited by HappyDave, 27 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

The new rules haven't been set yet, they are under consultation. I think the crux of the statement is that RFL and BARLA competitions will have the same operational rules

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

The new rules haven't been set yet, they are under consultation. I think the crux of the statement is that RFL and BARLA competitions will have the same operational rules

What sort of differences do they have at present in the case of player safety on game day?

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

What sort of differences do they have at present in the case of player safety on game day?

Not got a clue, have never looked at the BARLA rules. All I know with regards to this is that at St Albans (RFL competition) we always have a physio at every game.

No idea if that's a league rule or just a club thing though. I assumed the former

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#5 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

by physio, do you mean a hpc registered professional? I think this would be unworkable as a minimum standard. I think that an appointed first aider should be the minimum

Edited by ehbandit, 27 June 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

by physio, do you mean a hpc registered professional? I think this would be unworkable as a minimum standard. I think that an appointed first aider should be the minimum

The guy we use also works with England Lionhearts and GB Community Lions. I believe he's also working with the Serbian Army RL team in the next couple of weeks

#7 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

The guy we use also works with England Lionhearts and GB Community Lions. I believe he's also working with the Serbian Army RL team in the next couple of weeks

i know some teams have hpc registered physics and this is great, however, it would be very hard for all clubs to be able to recruit a physio. it would cost a lot of money, which not all clubs can afford.

#8 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've taken a few head clashes during games and training playing Rugby League and I know sadly players will just get up and play on or won't take the time they need to recover from a nasty head clash. I've also played in games of both codes of Rugby were unfortunately neither team have been able to get a physio or due to legalities the physio's insurance would not cover them to assist the other teams players in case they got sued.

I definitely think a trained first aider should be mandatory.

Edited by HappyDave, 27 June 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Having spoken to our physio last night, it is an RFL rule that all matches are to have a physio present (doesn't have to be HPC, first aider may be acceptable, I can't remember). Not currently a requirement for BARLA

Edited by brooza, 28 June 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#10 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

if this rule says "physio" then they must be hpc registered because it is a protected title.

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm not sure it says anything yet until the consultation period is over.

We had qualified physios for a season or 2 for juniors - we were lucky to get them at £50 for the Sunday morning as a kind of promotional deal. Cost could be a factor depending on what is classed as an adequate level of support.

Even if a trained First Aider is needed, what happens if that person doesn't show up? No game?

Can a player involved in the game count or not? I guess not, in case he is knocked out.

Trained First Aiders are not by any stretch of the imagination medically trained professionals. Neither are physios when it comes to head injuries. Common sense must kick in - I've had to physically drag players off the pitch who have been concussed but insist they are OK. Coaches and players get very involved in the game and want to win - someone has to be on hand who can insist on common sense safety and duty of care. This doesn't mean making a medical decision, but it does mean identifying when professional help is needed and calling on it. It's not easy telling an adult what they can and can't do but we're going to have to learn to do it, for their sake, for the protection of the club, its officials and the game as a whole.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#12 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Do not know about Barla but in the Pennine league the physio or first-aider has to be named on the team sheet.

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users