Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Sewell The man is a god

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

if for this alone

http://www.guardian....lt-brian-sewell

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Is he that dingbat with the really posh voice?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,060 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, the up-himself oxygen thief.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

no

although he does have really posh voice

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#5 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,849 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Sewell is talking rubbish yet again. Wonders of Solar System/Universe/Life was superb, as was Marcus Du Sautoy's The Beauty of Diagrams and Mary Beards programmes. None of these factual programmes dumb down the subject matter. Alright I agree that the respective presenters do a fair bit of travelling but it is all to enhance the programmes. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

no

although he does have really posh voice

So its not him?  :no2:

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

if for this alone
http://www.guardian....lt-brian-sewell

I don't always agree with him, but in this case, a lot of what he says about the presentation of the BBC's factual output is bang on. There's been a lot of programmes recently that had an interesting premise, but became, as he said, travelogues. As for presenters who make the programme (regardless of subject) all about themselves, I'm surprised he didn't mention the serial camera-hog Bettany Hughes.

Edited by Futtocks, 27 June 2013 - 12:56 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

He's a pseud who only has time for his own views.

He just likes to feel superior to everyone else.

What Michael Hogan should have asked him is

"You have made programmes previously:

- How many awards did they win?

- What were the viewing figures?

- You are an arts critic; what artistic achievements have you personally produced?"

"You criticise the BBC arts documentaries as being too lowbrow and pandering to the massses. At the same time, your own Wikipedia page includes the statement: ... 'when Sewell visited Salvador Dalí at his house in Cadaqués, Dalí convinced Sewell to strip and masturbate for him while he took (or pretended to take) photographs'.

Tell me Brian, do you think that should be the sort of more-highbrow approach that BBC arts documetaries should focus on?'

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

Seriously Ange the guy is a ###### of the highest order.

I've never come across anyone so openly contemptuous of the working classes.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Seriously Ange the guy is a ###### of the highest order.

I've never come across anyone so openly contemptuous of the working classes.

That's why l'ange feels empathy for him. :)

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

That's why l'ange feels empathy for him. :)

It certainly puzzles me. 

#12 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

So its not him?  :no2:

Yes it is him. The same man who said he would solve the North-South divide by sending a plague to the North to kill everyone off and that everything about the North is "just awful".

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,060 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I learnt everything I need to know about critics from Ratatouille.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yes it is him. The same man who said he would solve the North-South divide by sending a plague to the North to kill everyone off and that everything about the North is "just awful".

That certainly sounds like him. I remember him once saying that all progress came through the middle classes because working class people were quite happy to roll around in their own sewage.

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

It has however, the benefit of him not living here.

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,018 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

He says of Top Gear, "... I see it as three clowns enjoying themselves and nothing whatsoever to do with motor cars. They never talk about the aesthetic beauty of cars, their history or future. They're just overgrown schoolboys."   He's right in my view but then, Top Gear is fine for what it is.   

However, on the broader front, quite a few factual programmes seem to have been devised and directed by former schools TV broadcasters.  Brian Cox programmes, too , seem a bit trite and more of an excuse for trips to exotic places - though the maths behind the science of which he speaks would be challenging  ( unless you are like Sev of course).

Most of all, though, these dumbed down or simplified factual programmes serve, I think, as an inspiration to find out more and its not the BBCs role to educate us at all levels and to all levels. 

From here  - Sewell is also known for his disdain for Damien Hirst describing him as "###### dreadful" -  it is easy to agree with him. In fact, his Wkikpedia entry make good reading.

Edited by JohnM, 27 June 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Most of all, though, these dumbed down or simplified factual programmes serve, I think, as an inspiration to find out more and its not the BBCs role to educate us at all levels and to all levels. 

Quite. It is odd that a professional art critic would comment that he had learned nothing from watching a TV programme on art. Of course you didn't. You are a professional art critic, you are hardly the target audience.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

He says of Top Gear, "... I see it as three clowns enjoying themselves and nothing whatsoever to do with motor cars. They never talk about the aesthetic beauty of cars, their history or future. They're just overgrown schoolboys."   He's right in my view but then, Top Gear is fine for what it is.

'Top Gear' is gradually morphing into 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Next season, Richard Hammond bolts wheels onto an old bathtub and gets pushed off the side of a steep hill by the tall opinionated one and the vague fogyish one...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,060 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

'Top Gear' is gradually morphing into 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Next season, Richard Hammond bolts wheels onto an old bathtub and gets pushed off the side of a steep hill by the tall opinionated one and the vague fogyish one...

Nora Batty was played by Kathy Stig...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,018 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Disagree.

It has already morphed..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users