Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Sewell The man is a god

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,429 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

MH But the BBC remains a great source of pride to many of us. It's arguably the best broadcaster in the world.

BS Boll ocks.

Speaks his mind.

Edited by marklaspalmas, 27 June 2013 - 03:18 PM.

A Fev Blog

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

So its not him?  :no2:

no

the person, whoever  you are referring to, is a dingbat

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

He's a pseud who only has time for his own views.

He just likes to feel superior to everyone else.

What Michael Hogan should have asked him is

"You have made programmes previously:

- How many awards did they win?

- What were the viewing figures?

- You are an arts critic; what artistic achievements have you personally produced?"

"You criticise the BBC arts documentaries as being too lowbrow and pandering to the massses. At the same time, your own Wikipedia page includes the statement: ... 'when Sewell visited Salvador Dalí at his house in Cadaqués, Dalí convinced Sewell to strip and masturbate for him while he took (or pretended to take) photographs'.

Tell me Brian, do you think that should be the sort of more-highbrow approach that BBC arts documetaries should focus on?'

so the quality of a tv programme is related directly to its viewing figures?

only good programmes win awards and if a programme doesn't win an award it is no good? 

to have an educated  and valid opinion on something you have to have done it yourself to the highest level?

What Dali and Sewell did together is neither here nor there. I hope they enjoyed themselves

Keeping it local

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

no

the person, whoever you are referring to, is a dingbat

I was being polite. Otherwise I would have called him a pompous old windbag who talks sh/te.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Seriously Ange the guy is a ###### of the highest order.

I've never come across anyone so openly contemptuous of the working classes.

really? When was this?

Keeping it local

#26 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

1 so the quality of a tv programme is related directly to its viewing figures?

2 only good programmes win awards and if a programme doesn't win an award it is no good? 

3. to have an educated  and valid opinion on something you have to have done it yourself to the highest level?

What Dali and Sewell did together is neither here nor there. I hope they enjoyed themselves

1. The BBC has a duty to try and educate and explain in its factual programmes. It has to make its programmes accessible to the lay person. 

2. But if his programmes had been so much better than theose that he is criticising, he would have been at least nminated for an award within that arts/culture sector.

3. He has made documentaries; I would guess that, for the average lay viewer,  all they attracted was the remote control button

It appears to me that he's basically 'all mouth and no trousers'. Especially, reportedly, in his dealings with Salvador Dali.

Edited by Wolford6, 27 June 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#27 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

really? When was this?

See my post on the previous page.

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

See my post on the previous page.

well he's right about the middle classes being the catalyst for change sounds pretty Marxist to me.

as for the sewage I think he over states his case, but the working classes never brought about any social change.

Keeping it local

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

well he's right about the middle classes being the catalyst for change sounds pretty Marxist to me.

as for the sewage I think he over states his case, but the working classes never brought about any social change.

How the hell could they? They were too busy working all hours in order to eat.
You sound like Frank Marshall. ...'if the working classes can't afford to organise themselves into powerful political parties, then that's their fault'

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

1. The BBC has a duty to try and educate and explain in its factual programmes. It has to make its programmes accessible to the lay person. 

2. But if his programmes had been so much better than theose that he is criticising, he would have been at least nminated for an award within that arts/culture sector.

3. He has made documentaries; I would guess that, for the average lay viewer,  all they attracted was the remote control button

It appears to me that he's basically 'all mouth and no trousers'. Especially, reportedly, in his dealings with Salvador Dali.

but there has to be some actual substance to gain access to, otherwise the viewer is being patronised-which is Sewell's point

no he wouldn't

you can guess what you like it means nothing. Should all programmes be aimed at the average viewer? What on earth is the 'average viewer'? Is that a way of saying programmes should be dumbed down? 

Keeping it local

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

How the hell could they? They were too busy working all hours in order to eat.
You sound like Frank Marshall. ...'if the working classes can't afford to organise themselves into powerful political parties, then that's their fault'

middle class people work all hours as well

it wasn't Marshall who said that.

Lenin

Castro

Marx

Guevarra

Allende

even Pinochet

all middle class and many more besides

Keeping it local

#32 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

but there has to be some actual substance to gain access to, otherwise the viewer is being patronised-which is Sewell's point

no he wouldn't

you can guess what you like it means nothing. Should all programmes be aimed at the average viewer? What on earth is the 'average viewer'? Is that a way of saying programmes should be dumbed down?

IIRC the remit of the BBC is to inform, educate and entertain which would imply that factual programmes should be aimed at varied ages and learning. IMO Sewell is unfair to the BBC in his criticism. He has form with these types of comments and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Fides invicta triumphat

#33 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Speaks his mind.

And so eloquently.

If what he gets up to with Salvador Dali is "his own business", why publicise it on a wiki page?

The man makes a fair point about much of the BBC's output being formulaic, but he is dead wrong in absolute terms. Last night's Horizon on Black holes was both interesting and informative, without getting too involved with the extremely complex maths that underpins the theories. I enjoyed it immensely.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#34 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

IIRC the remit of the BBC is to inform, educate and entertain which would imply that factual programmes should be aimed at varied ages and learning. IMO Sewell is unfair to the BBC in his criticism. He has form with these types of comments and shouldn't be taken seriously.

and neither should threads declaiming that he is a god

but there is a kernel of truth in what he says

I'm quit fond of Sewell all the same

I wonder if he saw the documentary about Vivian Maier? qv

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 27 June 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Keeping it local

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

middle class people work all hours as well
it wasn't Marshall who said that.

Lenin
Castro
Marx
Guevarra
Allende
even Pinochet

all middle class and many more besides

How many middle class people worked in the mills or down the pit then? I make it about none.
I know he never said that, that's why I said 'like'

#36 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

The working classes voted in the 1948 Labour Government.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

The working classes voted in the 1948 Labour Government.

and?

they voted Thatcher in aswell

Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

How many middle class people worked in the mills or down the pit then? I make it about none.
I know he never said that, that's why I said 'like'

so what

working in a mill or down a pit doesn't make you a better person it doesn't make you a worse person either

same with middle class people

Keeping it local

#39 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

I think "the working classes are quite happy to roll about in sewage" is more than overstating the case. It's just offensive and not remotely true. The working classes pretty much had to accept their lot pre-WW2 because there was sod all that they could do about it. I don't think anyone enjoyed filth and squalor.

#40 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

and?

they voted Thatcher in aswell

Both had a significant effect on British society ... for me, one good and one bad.

Overall, the working class wouldn't have voted Thatcher in if Labour had been a credible alternative. Traditional working class areas remained Labour strongholds.

In my opinion: -

- It's having middle class Labour leaders like Foot (and I think Miliband) who can't marshall the working class vote that has resulted in the Tories have a clear run at elections. 

-  Kinnock was working class and cleaned up the party  but was not up to leading the country.

- Smith was middle class but was not up to leading the country or the party.

- Blair was middle class but could just as easily have been a Tory leader. Still, he got us in. Ego got the better of him. I voted for him the first time, not afterwards.

- Brown meant well but was not a good communicator with either the middle class or the working class. He commanded respect but not much loyalty. I hope he will come back a wiser man without the siege mentality and with a more inclusive style of leadership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users