Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Sewell The man is a god

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Lowry was true middle class. He use to line his worn out shoes with The Manchester Guardian, whilst we had to make do with last week's Football Pink. 

#62 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

...and yet another thread degenerates into rehashing the minutiae of the class system.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#63 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

...and yet another thread degenerates into rehashing the minutiae of the class system.

It's nowt but snobbery, even from those who solidly call themselves working class.  "I'm .... class and that makes me better than you".

There was a programme on telly a few years ago with John Prescott going round talking to youths about stuff, including class.  He was talking to one quite rough young lady who said she was middle class, she couldn't be working class as she'd never worked in her life.  That just highlighted the absurdity of the whole thing, including many of those in the so-called "upper class" who have also never worked in their lives.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#64 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

There was a programme on telly a few years ago with John Prescott going round talking to youths about stuff, including class.  He was talking to one quite rough, young lady who said she was middle class, she couldn't be working class as she'd never worked in her life.

I remember that - the look on Prescott's face was priceless. :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#65 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

It wasn't that long ago that the working week was still 5 1/2 days a week. Would you want to spend that long on a loom or stood at a lathe or whatever and then go out and spend what little time you had left listening to some windbag prattling on about art or something or go for a few jars or to the football/RL? It wasn't just a case of clocking off, most of the jobs were physically exhausting and a lot of downtime was actually spent just trying to recover.

I love art and stuff, I am dead cultural. But if my only freetime was about 1 evening a week I would probably spend it getting r-soled on cheap gin or something.

The point is lots of working class people did cultural and other stuff. One of the motivations was, no doubt, to get away from the dreary world of  work; that's part of the appeal of cultural activities, as well as sport. Plenty of young men took part in sport despite doing physically taxing jobs also.

#66 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

all great works of art ought to be housed in London where the people will appreciate them (

I used to live near Dagenham in a housing estate called Beacontree. Down the Robin Hood on a Friday night the locals would discuss little else than fine wine, Proust and post impressionism

#67 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Brian Sewell visits Newcastle.

"Sewell thinks that the North East has had a raw deal on the arts front, with a lack of support from cultural organisations in the past.

Sewell claims that he's been misreported, and he's keen to set the record straight.

Although he admits that London has more sophisticated audiences, he is in favour of "moving things out of London".

He believes in spreading culture around the country, not concentrating it all in the South East

Perhaps he's just playing devil's advocate? Sewell admits that he enjoys a lively cultural sparring match because it's good to upset people if it makes them think."

The thing is that it just doesn't "make them think" if you insult them.

Sewell is obviously a very clever man with a lot of interesting things to say but he'd be much more effective if he didn't insult people. 

#68 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

The point is lots of working class people did cultural and other stuff. One of the motivations was, no doubt, to get away from the dreary world of  work; that's part of the appeal of cultural activities, as well as sport. Plenty of young men took part in sport despite doing physically taxing jobs also.

Indeed, and mine owners used to give their workers brass instruments. Now I've never tried to play a trumpet but I can imagine that it is not easy and takes a lot of persistence. 

#69 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

They largely  supplied cornets, the odd flugelhorn, tenor and baritone horns, euphoniums, trombones and E flat and double B flat basses. But trumpets? Nah. 

#70 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

I expect Sewell will be at Odsal on Sunday and in the Top House after the game so I will take it up with him then.
He often gets ejected for starting anti ref chants tho

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#71 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Sewell is obviously a very clever man with a lot of interesting things to say but he'd be much more effective if he didn't insult people. 

He enjoys winding people up. Always has done.

#72 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

They largely  supplied cornets, the odd flugelhorn, tenor and baritone horns, euphoniums, trombones and E flat and double B flat basses. But trumpets? Nah. 

Nevermind, I'm sure if you put it on your list for Santa, you might get a surprise on Christmas Day. 

#73 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Why, has Yvette Cooper finally  succumbed to my charms?

#74 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Why, has Yvette Cooper finally  succumbed to my charms?

Genuinely thought you meant Yvette Fielding at first.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#75 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Genuinely thought you meant Yvette Fielding at first.

nope. She lives too near my son..it would get around.  Although they are the same age( all three of them!), I suspect I could be of more use to Ms Cooper.

#76 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

I expect Sewell will be at Odsal on Sunday and in the Top House after the game so I will take it up with him then.
He often gets ejected for starting anti ref chants tho

He's just Gledhill without the glasses isn't he?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#77 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

He's just Gledhill without the glasses isn't he?

I've never seen them in the same room actually. This highbrow act soon disappears after a few pints you know.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users