TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Serbia Army RL Head To UK

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

The significance of their involvement in the Armed Forces World Cup should not be underestimated. Sign off for their involvement rested with the Deputy Prime Minister and organisers have had to work hard to secure their involvement through the corridors of power at Whitehall, the MOD and the Embassy in Belgrade.

They are however heading to the UK and here is some footage from their departure in Belgrade. Not all of it is in English, but there's bits:

http://www.sportnetwork.rs/play/56841/ragbisti-putuju-na-svetsko-prvenstvo

http://www.sportnetwork.rs/play/56847/harison:-timskim-duhom-do-pobede

http://www.sportnetwork.rs/play/56842/vujosevic:hvala-svima-koji-su-pomogli-srpski-ragbi

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Good to see one of the teams actually making their way here!  I'm sure there were lots of negotiations to enable this to happen but they're a sports team, not a political movement. 

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Looking forward to seeing them at the weekend. I'll be wearing my new Red Star Belgrade RLK shirt!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Looking forward to seeing them at the weekend. I'll be wearing my new Red Star Belgrade RLK shirt!

Damn...I thought I was one of the few in the UK with one of those ;)

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Just got given one on Saturday by our club physio (he already has one, you see!)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Does anyone know why PNG hasn't entered a team?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#7 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

They will be helping to kick off the festival of World Cups, first matches are this Sunday afternoon

Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup Schedule

Sunday 30th June
2.30pm Great Britain v New Zealand
5.30pm Australia v Serbia

The public are welcome to attend all matches. Fixtures on 30 June, 3 July and 10 July will take place on pitches at the Budd VC Gymnasium on Berechurch Road, Colchester with matches on 6 July and 13 July played at the Garrison B Ground on Circular Road North, Colchester

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

I got the shirt and the hoodie, but the shirts abit of a "snug" fit so not been worn out in public yet though..................!!!

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

They will be helping to kick off the festival of World Cups, first matches are this Sunday afternoon

Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup Schedule

Sunday 30th June
2.30pm Great Britain v New Zealand
5.30pm Australia v Serbia

The public are welcome to attend all matches. Fixtures on 30 June, 3 July and 10 July will take place on pitches at the Budd VC Gymnasium on Berechurch Road, Colchester with matches on 6 July and 13 July played at the Garrison B Ground on Circular Road North, Colchester

Thanks for the info, I hadn't actually checked where the matches were to be held!

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Does anyone know why PNG hasn't entered a team?

Cost?

But surely there's no excuse for France not being there.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Cost?

But surely there's no excuse for France not being there.

The PNG Defence Force definitely plays RL, no idea about the French.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#12 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Definitely a concept that could be expanded upon. If you look at some of the larger nations that play international RL such as USA and Canada, it would be great if small sectors of their forces were introduced to the game and could participate in future years.

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

The PNG Defence Force definitely plays RL, no idea about the French.

I'm almost sure that the French used to play many years ago...

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

Definitely a concept that could be expanded upon. If you look at some of the larger nations that play international RL such as USA and Canada, it would be great if small sectors of their forces were introduced to the game and could participate in future years.

I think there are a couple of other nations that could have competed. I know Jamaica have Armed Forces involvement, and France and PNG as mentioned could also have entered, and potentially some of the other Pacific nations too.

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

I think there are a couple of other nations that could have competed. I know Jamaica have Armed Forces involvement, and France and PNG as mentioned could also have entered, and potentially some of the other Pacific nations too.

Fiji? I'd pay good money to watch the armed forces of the US v Russia on the rugby league field.

#16 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

The Serbs will be a big bunch!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#17 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

There just wArming up for the 1730 ko as I type
GB 32 NZ 8 was the earlier result.

#18 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

54-0 at HT
Serbia lack any weight

#19 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

112-0

#20 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Unfortunately Serbia were all very skinny as such in comparison to there Australian counterparts who had the

size and weight for their respective positions.

The Serbs did according to the touch judges convert a penalty in the first half but it was overrulled by the ref

who wasnt quite so eagle eyed at times in the first half with the Aussie offsides.

That said I couldnt say if it went between the posts as the stand canopy obstructed my view.

Cant personally see the Aussies failing to win outright but it will hopefully be a close affair against GB,

Just a shame I cannot make any more of the rounds.

The earlier game was enjoyable and despite going in behind narrowly at half time I thought the Kiwis

were probably just about had the better of it. The second half of course was a different story with the 

visitiors being worn down by the Brits,

Great day out though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users