Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A.o.A.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Just read the proposed Articals of Association for the up and coming EGM
A couple of things jump out at a glance, these are

1). The omitted Season Ticket Holders representatives from the B.o.D?
Dose this men the three reps presently on the board are putting themselves up for re-election?
Why no STH reps on the board?

2) no maximum number for Directors, but state a quorum of 5 must be in attendance to hold a meeting?
Dose this mean Barrow RL could have say 15-20 directors but a meeting with only 5 in attendance could vote things through?

3) voting power for debenture holders is severely diminished, especially if the sale of Craven Park was to be discussed. Debenture holders don't have a vote as I read it?
If this is so could the board of directors of the day sell Craven Park without consulting debenture holders?

4) do minutes of board meetings no longer have to be recorded?

These are just a few things I have picked up by glancing through the original Articles and the proposed Articles. The proposed Articles look like a bog standard set of Articles taken off a web site, whereas the originals are tailor made for protecting Barrow RL to a certain extent.
Agreed they need bringing into the 21st century, to do this only requires the originals to be tweaked up not butchered. Is there a reason for this?
Please correct me if I have read it wrong.
Again I urge ALL debenture holders to look at the proposed Articles as I fear they may not be fit for purpose, I could be wrong!

#2 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Where did you get the copies from?

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#3 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

They are available from the rugby shop

#4 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

If I'm right Keith Nutter can't make the meeting through work commitments. I might be wrong though. If Keith is reading maybe he can confirm.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#5 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

And the sale of the ground is a no go. I don't think its actually worth that much. If we were to sell it, we would have to stump up for new land and a whole new ground.

#6 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Gaz, the land is in prime retail area, I'm sure it's worth a lot more than you think! I think they are proposing that STH do not get to vote on 3 members of the BoD. I'm worried about the total control thing without debentures being notified and ask Bod members about this on Sunday and was told there is a clause in there that can stop any such action, ie sale of the ground, but only if debentures know about it can it be stopped.

#7 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Why remove steps that could help stop individuals looking at Craven Park as an opportunity rather than a sports ground in the future,that may not have playing RL in Barrow high on there agenda? The Articles were drawn up by a group of people who obviously thought long and hard on the wording. Craven Park belongs to the Barrow public ( debenture holders) and Directors are put in place as caretakers of the club for the duration of there directorship answerable to the debenture holders. I would like to keep it that way. Have I missed it in the proposed Articles do the board of the day have to go to debenture holders for a ballet vote if they were wanting to sell Craven Park as in the present Articles? Or is it as I see it ( could be wrong) a board meeting of 5 directors vote 3-2 to sell Craven Park, they can go forward and sell without a debenture holders meeting, or as proposed again, if they do the debenture holders can NOT reverse any decisions made previous to the meeting by the board of directors? Once it's gone, it's gone, why take the risk?

#8 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 868 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

Gaz, the land is in prime retail area, I'm sure it's worth a lot more than you think! I think they are proposing that STH do not get to vote on 3 members of the BoD. I'm worried about the total control thing without debentures being notified and ask Bod members about this on Sunday and was told there is a clause in there that can stop any such action, ie sale of the ground, but only if debentures know about it can it be stopped.

My question is Paul, why would the board want to propose for total control? Is it the whole BoD's or a couple of them.

#9 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

If its true that the EGM scheduled for 12th July has been postponed, it's another embaresment for the B.o.D after the wast of time meeting over a supposedly cash flow problems last month. Monty Pythons comes into mind?

#10 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

The EGM scheduled for Friday 12th July 2013 has been suspended in "" ORDER TO ALLOW THOSE CONCERNS FROM MEMBERS TO BE ADDRESSED PROPERLY by the Board of Directors. ""

Edited by Alias, 03 July 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#11 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Interesting point about tweaking the Articles rather than butchering them. As has been said the company was formed in 1930 and the Mem & Art written then. It's been agreed that they are out of date and need updating. A regular attempt has been done since 1930 to make amendments to a variety of the Articles. Everytime an Article is amended the new Article should be filed with the Registrar of Companies. Unfortunately this has not been done in every case and it has been impossible to reprint a reliable set of Articles.

About 10 years ago Jonathan Livesey took on the task of searching for any amendments and attempted to recreate accurate and up to date Articles. This proved an almost impossible task but headway was made. Before the task could be finalised the regime changed and I imagine it did not progress any further. I think there is a copy of the Articles available which is reasonable and up to 1976.

These are purely my own ideas but I think a bit of background may be helpful. I'm sure there are people about with a far greater knowledge of years gone by than I have.

Posted Image

#12 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Protect our ground at all costs & keep any final decision up to the debenture holders, as Bod's come and go and can always be manipulated as recent history at both BRLFC & BAFC show.

• atp likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users