• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,782 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Very funny article and comments.

I want to try the Hull Pattie experience. Forty years in Yorkshire and I never knew it existed.

:yes:

http://sabotagetimes...e-to-yorkshire/

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

It does tend to get the Ridings mixed up with the modern counties e.g. Harrogate is down as one of those "ace" places in the North Riding but it was never part of the North Riding. It might be in North Yorkshire but it was West Riding.

It also underplayed West Yorkshire. It's not all urban areas but any stretch of the imagination and although the Dales and North York Moors are better known, there are some equally attractive places in West Yorkshire.

Edited by Northern Sol, 27 June 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,616 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Very funny article and comments.

I want to try the Hull Pattie experience. Forty years in Yorkshire and I never knew it existed.

:yes:

http://sabotagetimes...e-to-yorkshire/

pattie=fish cake

they call them that in Keighley as well

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,782 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

pattie=fish cake

they call them that in Keighley as well

Not according to some of the comments; it is potato and sage in batter.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

Patties aren't unique to Hull, just about every chip shop in the North East and Cumbria sells them.

There are generally 4 varieties :-

Pattie - potato, sage & onion

Meat Pattie - potato, onion & either corned beef or mince

Cheese Pattie - potato, cheese & onion

Fish Pattie - potato & cod

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

I worked in Scarborough for several years and was ridiculed for ordering a 'cake' from the chippy. What I call a cake is what Derwent describes as a Pattie.
There's also the issue of what you call scraps, with some weirder parts calling them 'bits'. Not to mention 'do you want them open?' Which in proper English means 'to eat now'

And what about Lankies with the frankly mental 'pudding and chips' :D

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Oh ######. Not one of these threads again! :rolleyes:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Not according to some of the comments; it is potato and sage in batter.

It is indeed and if you get a good one they're bloomin' gorgeous.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

It does tend to get the Ridings mixed up with the modern counties e.g. Harrogate is down as one of those "ace" places in the North Riding but it was never part of the North Riding. It might be in North Yorkshire but it was West Riding.

It also underplayed West Yorkshire. It's not all urban areas but any stretch of the imagination and although the Dales and North York Moors are better known, there are some equally attractive places in West Yorkshire.

Doncaster was in the West Riding but in South Yorkshire.

BARLA seems to have built it's infrastructure on Yorkshire .

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Patties aren't unique to Hull, just about every chip shop in the North East and Cumbria sells them.

There are generally 4 varieties :-

Pattie - potato, sage & onion

Meat Pattie - potato, onion & either corned beef or mince

Cheese Pattie - potato, cheese & onion

Fish Pattie - potato & cod

They don't count if they haven't been lovingly hand crafted by a time served Hessle Road Pattie Slapper.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Don't get me started on this. It really niggles me that some of the most beautiful parts of the East Riding, such as Thixendale, are now in the North Yorkshire administrative area.

If it's in the area bounded by the Derwent it's in the East Riding, simple.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Don't get me started on this. It really niggles me that some of the most beautiful parts of the East Riding, such as Thixendale, are now in the North Yorkshire administrative area.

Thixendale is in the Wolds, not the Moors, and the two areas have a definitely distinct 'feel' to them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thixendale is in the Wolds, not the Moors, and the two areas have a definitely distinct 'feel' to them.

Spot on.

Do you know it? I love the place (apart from cycling up the long 1 in 6 hills to get home again).

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Do you know it? I love the place (apart from cycling up the long 1 in 6 hills to get home again).

Only been there a couple of times, years ago, when we put on a concert in the village. It feels strangely cut off from the outside world.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

There are some areas there where I wish the government would get a move on in copying Scotland's wild camping laws.  A weekend away in a tent somewhere there or a week or two with just a backpack wandering the area would be a very welcome break from civilisation.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#16 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Only been there a couple of times, years ago, when we put on a concert in the village. It feels strangely cut off from the outside world.

They didn't have terrestrial TV until the 1990s because of the way the village lies so deep in the dale.

#17 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

They don't count if they haven't been lovingly hand crafted by a time served Hessle Road Pattie Slapper.

The word pattie seems somewhat redundant in that sentence.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

The word pattie seems somewhat redundant in that sentence.

The words of a brave man.

Or one at a safe distance  ;)

#19 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

I have to say that it is news to me that North Yorkshire contains any of the old East Riding. I thought the East Riding in its entirety went over the old Humberside county.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I worked in Scarborough for several years and was ridiculed for ordering a 'cake' from the chippy. What I call a cake is what Derwent describes as a Pattie.
There's also the issue of what you call scraps, with some weirder parts calling them 'bits'. Not to mention 'do you want them open?' Which in proper English means 'to eat now'

And what about Lankies with the frankly mental 'pudding and chips' :D

Open or wrapped? It's simple.

Bits and scraps seemed to be interchangeable in Harrogate in the 80s. Nobody would pick you up for using the "wrong word".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users