Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A Yorkshireman's Guide to Yorkshire

Sabotage Times Article

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Patties aren't unique to Hull, just about every chip shop in the North East and Cumbria sells them.

There are generally 4 varieties :-

Pattie - potato, sage & onion

Meat Pattie - potato, onion & either corned beef or mince

Cheese Pattie - potato, cheese & onion

Fish Pattie - potato & cod

In Lancashire, they had "scallops" which seemed quite similar, a sort of pattie / cake type thing with potato inside.

#22 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have to say that it is news to me that North Yorkshire contains any of the old East Riding. I thought the East Riding in its entirety went over the old Humberside county.

North Yorkshire contains a large area of the northern end of the East Riding south of the Derwent (that's all of the cardinal compass points covered). The current East Riding of Yorkshire council area is based on what was 'North Humberside'. It includes Goole for example, which was in the West Riding.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#23 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

In Lancashire, they had "scallops" which seemed quite similar, a sort of pattie / cake type thing with potato inside.

In Rochdale, a fritter/scallop was a thick slice of potato (not mash) covered in batter and fried.

Very good they were too.  Can't remember the last time I saw one on a price list though.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#24 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Scallop - collop in Leeds and surrounding area.  Isn't a pattie fish and mash mixed and fried in batter?  And isn't what we in the West Riding call a fishcake (fish between two slices of potato and fried in batter) called a fish sandwich in Hull? As for scraps - they're certainly scraps in Leeds, bits in the Huddersfield area (there's even a chippy at Mirfield called "Wi' Bits" ) and thanks to my days as a plastic Wiganer - scratchings in Wigan.

As for the Ridings, the term West Riding which when I was a kid was ubiquitous has almost disappeared except for signs around Clitheroe and Saddleworth saying "Historic West Riding of Yorkshire."   The one place the ridings haven't disappeared from is Brid - you see East Riding Council everywhere - good for them.

If you went to Scarborough from Leeds before 1974, you travelled to York through the West Riding, then through York which wasn't in any riding, then you entered the North Riding until you got to Malton and crossed the Derwent and entered Norton and the East Riding, you crossed again into the North Riding before getting to Scarborough, but I'm not sure just where - somewhere around Seamer?  Scarborough now includes Whitby which was in the North Riding and Filey which was in the East Riding.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users