Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dreadful yet again

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

We cant attack, we have no clue, week in week out the same dross, why on earth do we not have the intelligence to try something other than the 5 drives nonsense. Leigh played well but a more clued up side would have made much more of a game of it.

We have no leader on the field and lack direction.

The players didnt look interested, seems to me theres some disharmony in the squad.

Overall a dreadful display tonight and for me the season is as good as over as we are not good enough to beat the other 4 clubs in the top 5.

I dont mind losing if we show some go forward but this is becoming totally frustrating and something has to change.

This clearout of players cant come soon enough.

Edited by buford t justice, 27 June 2013 - 09:59 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 bulldogforlife

bulldogforlife
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Team spirit as gone for me! Since all the rumours just seems like they can't wait to get to there new clubs. Come on guys prove me wrong, go out and beat fev next week.

#3 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

These players who are rumoured to be leaving the club might be playing themselves out of moves elsewhere judging by recent performances.

#4 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Why Halifax want Mennell is beyond me.

The same can be said about Fev and Moore. And to a degree Hirst. Sometimes he's effective in terms of sucking defenders into the tackle, but others looks slow and clumsy.

#5 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Suddenly some of these alleged departures don't seem like such a bad idea. Fresh challenges all round.

I'd really like to see us patch things up with Hemingway, and get him back in the team. We play much better with him & Black at 6 & 7.

#6 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

We'll murder Featherstone next year if they take Moore, Hirst, Walmsley and Flanagan.

#7 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Suddenly some of these alleged departures don't seem like such a bad idea. Fresh challenges all round.

I'd really like to see us patch things up with Hemingway, and get him back in the team. We play much better with him & Black at 6 & 7.

He's gone. We've burnt our bridges there.

#8 Kiddzyy69

Kiddzyy69
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Gaz has spat his dummy out,just put on twitter "batley fans bagging all players"
Drop him he deserves it simple.

#9 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

I've just seen that too.

He's got a nerve. Fans pay their money and deserve to have their say. Especially when the performances are as insipid as that tonight.

If he doesn't improve tenfold he will get lots worse from the Fev fans next year. Even more so if he comes in as a replacement for a fans favourite in Andy Kain.

#10 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

crikey you weren't that bad...it was hardly a 'stroll' for us, just a lot of 1 man rugby...still 100% effort from Batley.

We were hardly 'awesome' with ball in hand, just took our chances.

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

It's not about effort. For me the effort was clearly there. But the players seemed to be getting frustrated with our style of play! Woods and Noble constantly referred to our lack of ideas and ability going forward. I am sure Moore's comments were out of frustration too. He worked as hard as anyone but we are just missing something.

#12 LuckyDog

LuckyDog
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

Effort is never an issue, and we can rarely accuse our team of a lack of it. However, did many of us really believe we could win last night?

Leigh looked to have a bigger, organised, experienced pack, who made less errors than us.

Their kicking game (as last week v Sheffield) was far, far superior to ours, our half backs just cant break the good sides down. Much as i like Black & moore, next season i believe we need to look elsewhere - and Hemmingway not the answer.

Does the rotation of Mennell and Flanagan mean JK is just compromising and doesnt know his best team? I feel sorry for both when they get replaced and trudge off having just got going.

Our centres and second row tackle their hearts out, but as an attacking force against good defence, just hit brick walls.

And if the vultures are circling around our squad, then for me the back 3 would be first pickings, their speed and efforts disguise our team shortcomings week after week.

We punch above our weight constantly, but the lack of belief against the "big four" is so obvious now both in the players, manager and the fans. Changes need to be made, and the alledged forced changes might not be too bad after all.

#13 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'd be gutted if we lose our back 4 (JC, Potts, Johnson, Greenwood). We'd do better if we got the ball to them more often.

We do have to trust that JK will keep the heart of our team and build on it.

We're missing Applegarth and Hemmingway IMO

#14 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

The performance in last night's game was not a surprise and I agree with previous posts in regards to the lack of ideas in attack and the lack of movement with the ball. Batley played the strongest available side against an injury hit Leigh side and where not good enough. Batley will probably play Leigh again in the first week of the play offs and have enough quality in the squad to do well in the playoffs by making simple changes

Starting with the Featherstone game.The first change I would make is drop Moore.The Black/Moore halfback partnership is not working and Black is the better player of the two. I would bring back Hemmingway. If Hemmingway is not available I would give a Huddersfield player a go or move Black to scrum half and give Greg Johnson a go at halfback. 

I would also tell the forwards to release the ball more in the tackle, the hookers to move the ball left and right and the team to move the ball away from the ruck area and use the pace in the backs.

Edited by bulldogtrev, 28 June 2013 - 08:58 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#15 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Effort is never an issue, and we can rarely accuse our team of a lack of it. However, did many of us really believe we could win last night?

Leigh looked to have a bigger, organised, experienced pack, who made less errors than us.

Their kicking game (as last week v Sheffield) was far, far superior to ours, our half backs just cant break the good sides down. Much as i like Black & moore, next season i believe we need to look elsewhere - and Hemmingway not the answer.

Does the rotation of Mennell and Flanagan mean JK is just compromising and doesnt know his best team? I feel sorry for both when they get replaced and trudge off having just got going.

Our centres and second row tackle their hearts out, but as an attacking force against good defence, just hit brick walls.

And if the vultures are circling around our squad, then for me the back 3 would be first pickings, their speed and efforts disguise our team shortcomings week after week.

We punch above our weight constantly, but the lack of belief against the "big four" is so obvious now both in the players, manager and the fans. Changes need to be made, and the alledged forced changes might not be too bad after all.

I've been critical of Flanagan in the past and still feel that he's a player who is a little overrated and one-dimensional. However, when he's on the field we do carry more attacking theat and he should be playing 80 minutes. 'Spelling' him with the ineffective Mennell is clearly not working for us.

Posted Image

#16 TVBOY

TVBOY
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think it will click for you lot soon. You were faster and more physicaly enthusiastic than us but you came up against the Leigh spirit that was at it's best. We don't really have any pace apart from Ryan Brierly but the way Paul Rowley had them drilled was a joy to watch. I'm not into bagging your own players by name. Refs are a different matter though. Chins up Bulldogs you contributed to a very good semi final and it was only the breakaway try that really seperated the teams. Bet you make the Grand Final.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users