Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The demise in fortunes of Bradford Bulls reflect that of the Super League concept

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Was just thinking how important a strong Bradford Bulls club is to the health of Super League. When Bullmania was at it's peak and you had characters like Vaikona, Vainakola, Lowes, & the Paul brothers the Super League concept was at it's pinnacle in regards to sponsorship, crowds and feel good factor. Leeds V Bradford crowds were up to 25,000. 

No surprises that since the bubble burst on bullmania, there are calls for change of format, sponsorship issues or lack of etc. I'm not saying its the only reason but we underestimate the impact of Bradford during this time, they embraced summer rugby and its just a shame a lot of that has been lost. i hope they can recover and get back to where they were. 

We need a strong Bradford as much as a London, Catalan, Salford.

#2 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

Embracing it as you call it sent them into administration
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

Getting dragged to court by another team in your league won't have helped. Hetherington should have been banned from the game for life.

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Getting dragged to court by another team in your league won't have helped. Hetherington should have been banned from the game for life.

Utter tosh.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

Yay! Let's pick over this old scab.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Utter tosh.

Why is it? He took a team to court over a player that was neither needed nor wanted at the time. He nearly destroyed an RL club in the process along with the local derby. His short term greed outshine any long term gain, I bet he would love a full house at Headingley once a season but he killed any chance of that happening.

http://en.m.wikipedi...d_gratification

#7 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

If only they embraced paying their taxes.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

If only they embraced paying their taxes.

They are far from the only ones here, even now, believe me.
Personally I don't enjoy seeing Bradford slide down but it's only temporary and part of a cycle, not necessarily an indication that SL is going down the pan.

#9 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

The OP is utter tosh so the rest of the thread might as well be

Super league crowds have risen steadily - apart from this season

We've been in the longest & deepest recession in history for the last 5 years

The Aus$ is stronger that its ever been against Sterling making it more expensive to tempt players from Aus at the highest level

The HMRC have closed those tax loopholes that helped bring big names Kiwis over

The Kiwi test team has stopped selecting uk based players

Yeah, clearly the Superleague concept has waned, and its probably the RFLs fault. Don't they also run RBS? Same first letter, it must be their fault too.

Edited by Ant, 28 June 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

...not necessarily an indication that SL is going down the pan.

Now that certainly is Leeds' fault...

;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

I think the OP had a point. Putting aside all the financial and political manoeuvering, the peak of interest and confidence in SL was when Bradford were at the top.

Since then although crowds have grown, the same interests, confidence and enthusiasm has gone the same direction as the Bulls. Backwards.

#12 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

I think the OP had a point. Putting aside all the financial and political manoeuvering, the peak of interest and confidence in SL was when Bradford were at the top.

Since then although crowds have grown, the same interests, confidence and enthusiasm has gone the same direction as the Bulls. Backwards.

I think it's an interesting mirror, but I don't think the two are particularly linked as the Bulls' spiral into misfortune has a different set of circumstances to that of the "struggling" Super League (which I don't fully buy into). I think the OP is massively overstating the case, and if the Bulls were still at the top of their game and getting to finals etc, I don't particularly think Super League would be in any better position for it.

As Hindle says, this one is better left alone - what more can really be said?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#13 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

I think it's an interesting mirror, but I don't think the two are particularly linked as the Bulls' spiral into misfortune has a different set of circumstances to that of the "struggling" Super League (which I don't fully buy into). I think the OP is massively overstating the case, and if the Bulls were still at the top of their game and getting to finals etc, I don't particularly think Super League would be in any better position for it.

As Hindle says, this one is better left alone - what more can really be said?

I agree it's a parallel rather than evidence. But did interest wane in SL to create the problems we have, or did the clubs/ SL's decision making create the problems?

It's easy to say it's outside influence such as the recession but RL has historically done well in bad times.

I believe it is reasonable to suggest the decisions made at clubs like Bradford caused a broader lack of confidence in the SL product. A string of arrogant decisions, such as the Harris one, causes sponsors etc to stay clear. Is that how we attract investment when 2 clubs doing rather well out of the system can't get round a table?

Only last week at a rather small club, a fan openly criticised a sponsors man of the match decision, to wit the sponsor decides he's not in it for that level of criticism. These investors are precious commodities.

And with reference to fans, Bradford built a supporter base that wanted to watch a winning side rather than support the club. The job was far from done but the club acted like it had made it.

So IMO the demise of SL and Bradford, although possibly only being a parallel, actually do go hand in hand, but I believe it was the club and the SL way of doing things that caused the rot.

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

What is the "Super League" way of doing things, out of interest? At a guess, can it really be anything that different than any other professional sport has done over the past 10/15 years?

Edited by Amber Avenger, 28 June 2013 - 08:14 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Bradford may have lost a few fans since those days but they have actually gained several thousand actual supporters.

#16 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Why is it? He took a team to court over a player that was neither needed nor wanted at the time. He nearly destroyed an RL club in the process along with the local derby. His short term greed outshine any long term gain, I bet he would love a full house at Headingley once a season but he killed any chance of that happening.

http://en.m.wikipedi...d_gratification

This has been discussed to death, Hetherington warned Bradford at the time. So why has Hetherington killed the game...... He's been the driving force of the most successful club in Super League history.

No further comment from me.

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Whatever your views of the rights and wrongs of the Harris saga, in terms of the financial impact on the Bulls, it was revealed last year it was the tip of the iceberg so any arguments about that alone destroying the club is a bit much.

SQL Honours

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

The usual anti Leeds rhetoric,try establishing the facts before you post baseless nonsense.As PMJ has stated it's been done to death.That is all.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,323 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think the OP had a point. Putting aside all the financial and political manoeuvering, the peak of interest and confidence in SL was when Bradford were at the top. Since then although crowds have grown, the same interests, confidence and enthusiasm has gone the same direction as the Bulls. Backwards.

2003 Bradford were double winners on 15,000 crowds with Superleague averaging 8,200. Last year Superleague had two more clubs and yet averages 9400. Yes I agree crowds have grown.

I don't understand your point on "Interests" "confidence" and "enthusiasm" though.

Since Bradford were at the top we have seen Warrington, Hull Catalans and Huddersfield rise to join the likes of Leeds, Wigan and Saints as big clubs. So more fans more big clubs and Bradfords fall is another clubs rise. Despite Bradford's weaknesses being exposed in recent years (no investment, poor ground) that hasn't dragged Superleague down.

The op doesn't IMHO have a point as regards Bradford and singling them out only causes posts attacking Bradford all over again.

However where you Mr. Daddy state "We need a strong Bradford as much as a London, Catalan, Salford" you have probably rescued your point with a valid statement. To have the Superleague that was planned for 17 years ago all clubs should be striving to take their businesses forward under the guidance and security of the licensing process.

!7 long and maybe wasted years piddling about with no effective policies, inadequate SKY money and relying on random rich investors to take the game forward has seen Superleage hit a barrier of sorts. IMHO the barrier is a collective giving up of half the Chairmen in Superleague in terms of investment including Richardson, Wilkinson, Fulton, Hudgell, Hood, Hughes next and possibly O'Connor.

Out of the replacements so far two have stated they are not there to invest into the club, but have taken over the running in the absence of any investor. Only Dr. Koukash bucks the trend of an extensive abandonment of ambition that leaves a 14 club Superleague and it's associated licensing system in tatters.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,323 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

I think it's an interesting mirror, but I don't think the two are particularly linked as the Bulls' spiral into misfortune has a different set of circumstances to that of the "struggling" Super League (which I don't fully buy into).

I agree there's no link.

Do you buy into the stated intention of half a dozen club chairmen not to invest in their clubs and the resultant picking off of their best players by the top Superleague clubs as factors that will destroy the Superleague concept?

If we see Superleague as the Old First Division with TV money then it's a success?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users