Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The demise in fortunes of Bradford Bulls reflect that of the Super League concept

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

I think the OP had a point. Putting aside all the financial and political manoeuvering, the peak of interest and confidence in SL was when Bradford were at the top.

Since then although crowds have grown, the same interests, confidence and enthusiasm has gone the same direction as the Bulls. Backwards.

Do you regard this as cause or effect?

Shaking the trees doesn't make the wind stronger.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Do you regard this as cause or effect?

Shaking the trees doesn't make the wind stronger.

I made my case with a later post. In a nutshell I believe clubs got over confident and behaved in an arrogant fashion making too many assumptions about future success coupled with an expectation customers don't go away when you've got them. This leads to the comment by Jonoco regarding supporters and fans at Bradford, I deleted the very same comment before I posted. I also believe the Bulls have improved the supporter base. However the work should have been started when the club was successful and not as a reaction to failure.

I would like to point out that I don't want to get caught up in how many fans Bradford have/had as this thread. The context in which I find a parallel is based on commercial and corporate interest in SL and the lack of development of key relationships.

#23 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

I made my case with a later post. In a nutshell I believe clubs got over confident and behaved in an arrogant fashion making too many assumptions about future success coupled with an expectation customers don't go away when you've got them. This leads to the comment by Jonoco regarding supporters and fans at Bradford, I deleted the very same comment before I posted. I also believe the Bulls have improved the supporter base. However the work should have been started when the club was successful and not as a reaction to failure

This is a pretty decent point to be fair and it boils down to a lack of foresight. This is a problem that has plagued the whole of the sport at one time or another - maybe now more than ever.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#24 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

Embracing it as you call it sent them into administration

Having 194 staff on the payroll was what tipped the boat.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I made my case with a later post. In a nutshell I believe clubs got over confident and behaved in an arrogant fashion making too many assumptions about future success coupled with an expectation customers don't go away when you've got them. This leads to the comment by Jonoco regarding supporters and fans at Bradford, I deleted the very same comment before I posted. I also believe the Bulls have improved the supporter base. However the work should have been started when the club was successful and not as a reaction to failure.

They were growing the fan base when they were successful, it's just that some of them were only interested temporarily. The core base of fairly dedicated fans has grown by quite a few thousand since pre SL. A lot of those sponge finger wavers that are decried by people like Lobbygobbler have actually turned out to be pretty dedicated supporters and are still here supporting the club. And it will get worse before it gets better IMO.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Having 194 staff on the payroll was what tipped the boat.

Is there any (rough will do) breakdown of those figures into coaches, players, marketing, groundsmen, commercial, admin etc?

Is there a total wage bill??

Too often when dreaming of Superleague we assume a club only needs £1.65M a year to pay the wages.

#27 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Is there any (rough will do) breakdown of those figures into coaches, players, marketing, groundsmen, commercial, admin etc?

Is there a total wage bill??

Too often when dreaming of Superleague we assume a club only needs £1.65M a year to pay the wages.

It was announced via the media at the time as the number on payroll. I've heard rumours of what the lottery staff were on at the time and it's no wonder it wnet pop.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#28 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Getting dragged to court by another team in your league won't have helped. Hetherington should have been banned from the game for life.

The usual anti Leeds rhetoric,try establishing the facts before you post baseless nonsense.As PMJ has stated it's been done to death.That is all.

Whilst I certainly was not a fan of what Hetherington did (irrespective of my Bradford leanings) and would rather Leeds dealt with it through the RFL than the courts, let's not forget that it wouldn't have been needed if Bradford had respected the contract of Harris (or, perhaps and more to the point, got better legal advice).

More pertinently, signing Harris on the wage that we did directly cost us probably the best player in Super League history in Jamie Peacock and that had a far bigger effect on the long term fortunes of the Bulls than the few quid we ended up having to pay Leeds.

Edited by MrPosh, 28 June 2013 - 10:17 AM.

People called Romans they go the house

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

We were spending money we probably didn't have to try and keep up with the success of previous years and we paid the price for it. And then when all the dust settles, we agree a record sponsorship deal with Provident Personal Credit.

Funny how things works out.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

They were growing the fan base when they were successful, it's just that some of them were only interested temporarily. The core base of fairly dedicated fans has grown by quite a few thousand since pre SL. A lot of those sponge finger wavers that are decried by people like Lobbygobbler have actually turned out to be pretty dedicated supporters and are still here supporting the club. And it will get worse before it gets better IMO.

As much as Bradford aren't setting things on fire at the moment, I think they have a fantastic opportunity to continue to build loyalty and grow the club. 

The floating fans following Bradford 6-7 years ago just showed what could be achieved. Now is the time to create a package of attractions to build supporters from this pool. I don't know what that is but most successful businesses build relationships with their customers beyond simply offering a product and expecting them to buy it. Tesco's have club cards etc. And although the Bulls may have ###### off sponsors locally in the last 2 years, these are the people to build bridges with.

I'm sure that through these efforts  the overall attraction of SL by corporates and sponsors will be better  but it requires other clubs to focus on it's tangible resources to balance input from benefactors. Sadly it seems some clubs have benefactors and not a lot else, which if I was a potential investor in RL would put me off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users