Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dobson agrees Newcastle switch

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hull Kingston Rovers have confirmed that Michael Dobson will leave MS3 Craven Park at the end of the current season to link up with the Newcastle Knights. The Robins’ skipper has signed a one-year deal with the NRL club.
Chairman Neil Hudgell is disappointed to see the 27-year-old go but says he will do so with the best wishes of everyone at Hull Kingston Rovers.
“Michael has always harboured an ambition to go back and play in the NRL again and he goes with our blessing and best wishes.
“He has been a terrific servant to Hull KR and is probably the stand-out player for this club during the Super League era. Michael has also been an inspirational skipper this year and possess a never-say-die attitude which has probably seen him play in some games when he could quite easily have sat it out.
“His move to Newcastle has only happened in the past 24 hours and we are disappointed that the Knights chose to announce the signing before we had officially agreed the release from his contract with ourselves. Michael told me himself last night that he would be leaving and I’m sure that he will continue to be the model professional during the remainder of the year and aim to end his time with Hull KR on a high.”

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Or click on the link on the "Hull KR" thread...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

For a moment then I was thinking of Falcons :O

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm a little confused by this. The knights' own press release acknowledges that Dobson is one of the top halves in Super League, yet he's only good enough to be a back-up player on a one-year contract.

Personally, I think Dobson is better than this and needs to be the fulcrum of whichever team and whichever competition he happens to be playing in.

Super League is bloated and flawed to a certain degree but Monday night proved that when the best play the best it's at least as entertaining as the NRL.

I feel a bit sad that someone of the calibre of Dobson is only regarded as a back-up player down under and this shows a level of antipathy from the Aussies to our comp.

#5 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Good luck to Dobbo back home, he has given us 5 years good service and has handled this the correct way with no agent muddying the waters with flannel in the papers. He told the club he would like to go back and give the NRL another crack and has found a team that wants to give him a go. He also gets the chance to play under Wayne Bennett, you can't blame him for going.

As a player he will be missed, but this should give the club the chance to give a young british half the chance to stake a claim for the 7 shirt at our club.

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Dobbo may be reserve grade but then Scott Moore is a first team player. Maybe his style better suits SL than the NRL.
From what I have seen Burns looks to be pretty much as good as Green, for whom they got a fee, so maybe HKR have another 7 already lined up? Sandercock must have decent connections there.

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Oh and given that it was mentioned on here as an example of SL at its best, on Monday Wigan had a huge number of young British players stepping up to the plate. From our perspective this year has shown that well coached British talent can go a long way given the chance. I hope that HKR go down that route and that the next Dobbo is a Brit.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

i keep banging this drum but i am certainly happy that my club is signing british players (ok we have a couple of antipodeans from last season) but since then we have only signed british players like brown, joseph, mellor. marsh, hock and tickle.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hock & Tickle sounds like a weird sexual practice! :fie:

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#10 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hock won't be at Widnes next year.
Where he will be isn't exactly known yet but he won't be at Widnes.

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,674 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hock & Tickle sounds like a weird sexual practice! :fie:

not as bad as Tickles nickname Tes

#12 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Absolute classic from Hudgell in today's HDM.

His move to Newcastle has only happened in the past 24 hours and we are disappointed that the Knights chose to announce the signing before we had officially agreed the release from his contract with ourselves.

Neil Hudgell hails 'terrific servant'

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#13 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Be good if he makes a go of it in the NRL and presumably he'll be one less player who might be on some sort of "off quota" list.

#14 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

hes been a good servant to sl -must have been early 20s when he came here-poor guy must be oldest looking young player ever, looked 56 when he 1st came on the scene, deserves some recognition for his talent, good luck in the nrl.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#15 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Absolute classic from Hudgell in today's HDM.

Perhaps Hudgell was hoping Micky Paea could make the announcement about Dobson leaving.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#16 boris74

boris74
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I can appreciates Dobson's desire to crack the NRL but I hope he doesnt have to settle for a backup role because that would be a real waste. Good luck to the kid he has been a real star for Rovers over the last 5 plus years.

Hudgell's comments never fail to amuse me and I am not sure if his 'for the fans' quotes are always well advised!

#17 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hudgell's comments never fail to amuse me and I am not sure if his 'for the fans' quotes are always well advised!

He's great entertainment isn't he?

I imagine him as an RLFans' poster that can't wait to troll on the Hull FC board as soon as Rovers win and Hull don't.

Perhaps he actually is.... :blink:  :huh:

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

I can appreciates Dobson's desire to crack the NRL but I hope he doesnt have to settle for a backup role because that would be a real waste. Good luck to the kid he has been a real star for Rovers over the last 5 plus years.

Hudge has been on top form recently. I can hardly keep track of whether the toys are in or out of the pram.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hudge has been on top form recently. I can hardly keep track of whether the toys are in or out of the pram.

Ha! :lol:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Cracking little player. He has been a joy to watch in SL over the years so wish him all the best in the NRL.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users