Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hawk Yates joins Rhinos

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Leeds Rhinos have announced the signing of impressive 23-year-old prop Andy Yates from Hunslet Hawks on a two year contract from December 2013.
The prop has made 20 appearances for the Hawks so far this season, his third at South Leeds Stadium since signing for them from St Helens. He will train full time with the Rhinos during pre-season and will be awarded a squad number in the top 25 players for the 2014 season. As with the likes of Brad Singleton, Jimmy Keinhorst and Liam Hood this season, he will be dual registered with the Hawks for next season when he will be available to Barry Eaton if not required for the Rhinos in Super League.
Commenting on signing for the Rhinos, Yates said, “It is a massive opportunity for me, I have been at Saints before and it is great to have another opportunity to play in Super League. I want to go there and prove myself and hopefully get into the first team. It is another level of training at Super League and I know it is going to be tough in pre-season but I can only benefit from that. That will stand me in good stead for the new season and hopefully I can kick on from there.
“I had opportunities to go to other clubs at the start of this season but I was excited about the relationship between Hunslet and the Rhinos and that persuaded me to stay."

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Seen him play a few times this season and he has been very good.

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

That's a let down. I though Hawk Yates was a brilliant name.
People called Romans they go the house

#4 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thoughts were exactly the same here!
Posted Image

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Good to see Leeds giving their reserve team players a shot at SL, hope he goes well.

#6 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

from know on he shall be known as hawk yates in the rl world

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

To me, this is dual reg working the way it should do. A partnership. Rhinos get more interested in Hunslet, and one of their players gets a crack at the big time. Good to see SL clubs looking to the championship for new players, rather than simply the NRL.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Good to see Leeds giving their reserve team players a shot at SL, hope he goes well.

great to see any championship player getting a shot as SL, the fascination with over the hill antipodeans looks to be a thing of the past thanks to licensing as these lads would never have got a chance under the old system.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

great to see any championship player getting a shot as SL, the fascination with over the hill antipodeans looks to be a thing of the past thanks to licensing as these lads would never have got a chance under the old system.

You are absolutely spot on.

Regards,

Danny Brough, Peter Fox, Matt Blaymire and Jon Wilkin.

;)

Posted Image

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

You are absolutely spot on.

Regards,

Danny Brough, Peter Fox, Matt Blaymire and Jon Wilkin.

;)

they were the exception rather than the rule though weren't they gav, now every club from super league is looking at the domestic competition more than ever to find the stars of tomorrow, i well remember broughy playing for york at the time widnes were searching for a scrum half and were trawling the australian game,and danny was plying his trade in the lower leagues over here.......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

they were the exception rather than the rule though weren't they gav, now every club from super league is looking at the domestic competition more than ever to find the stars of tomorrow, i well remember broughy playing for york at the time widnes were searching for a scrum half and were trawling the australian game,and danny was plying his trade in the lower leagues over here.......

Indeed. I wouldn't say these Championship kids are being looked at just because of the licensing system though, there will be plenty of factors in every move.

Posted Image

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Indeed. I wouldn't say these Championship kids are being looked at just because of the licensing system though, there will be plenty of factors in every move.

Your bog standard Aussie wanting a bit more money than they used to ask for, could be a factor :tongue:

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hull promoted more youngsters in each one year during P&R than they did the first 3 years of licensing combined.
Posted Image

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Do you think Leeds may have already eyed him up at Saints, and had an influence in him signing for Hunslet in the first place?

If so, its an interesting use of the partnership. Could have upsides and downsides I suppose.

Either way, I hope the lad does well.

Posted Image

#15 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,179 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Is Yates a championship player??

More like a St.Helens Superleague player who went to Leeds "A" team.

The fascination with over the hill antipodeans remains, it's just that the clubs can't afford them and they ain't available.

Now the fascination is with academy players who could not make it at St.Helens.

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,179 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

every club from super league is looking at the domestic competition more than ever to find the stars of tomorrow,

If the antipodeans have gone home, and the Aussies have started to take our best young players, then Superleague clubs will scratch about for whoever they can find.

Why are you interpreting the reality of the player drain, which causes players who would not have made it a few years ago to be in demand as some sort of idea the Championship is producing superstars??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users