Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Our attacking play.....

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

I would have thought the "true essence" of sport would be entertainment and enjoyment. Nothing entertaining or enjoyable about our attacking play this season

I'd just like to see us try something different on attack, as all we seem capable of this season is one man rugby (and this has been evident from the very first game).

I could even cope with losing every week as long as the team threw the ball about, had some set moves and played some good rugby.

As it is, we are completely clueless on attack, slightly better than the teams below us, and not good enough on attack to beat the other 4 clubs around us at the top.

Edited by buford t justice, 01 July 2013 - 12:44 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#22 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

I think the frustration of a good number of speccies is summed up by the 'points for' column of the league table. Of the teams who occupy the top 5 places Batley have scored over 100 less points than the other 4 teams in the course of 17 games (nearly 200 in one case). This failure to be able to turn field position into points on the board is becoming a very frustrating issue. The majority of the team has been together for nearly 2 seasons now so should have gelled into knowing each others game, set game plans and set moves etc.
Those that have come in this season have been playing fairly regularly (the advantage of having a small squad) and the DR's have also played a few games, yet we get into the opposition 20 metre area and often look as if we are unsure what we are going to do, with the exception of the inside ball or the chip through, both of which the opposition are now well aware of and snuff them out.

This, coupled with an apparent fixation that the first 2 or 3 drives when we receive the ball have to be taken by our back 3 players, leads to unrest on the terraces. Using whichever permutation for the back 3 gives us possibly the fastest set in the competition yet seeing them used this way and dying with the ball when the forwards are stood looking on leads to much head scratching.

#23 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

The thing is though, winning is more important than anything else currently with the proposed shake-up. Our gates are poor and the best way of getting money in is through prize money. Open skilful rugby means you have to have the cash to buy the players capable of playing that type of rugby. We are struggling to hold the ball for a full set playing 1 out stuff, imagine how much more ball we would lose if we were throwing it about?

People are whining about the last 2 games, but how much rugby did Sheffield play? All they had was the kick and the barge over and a freak try from a ball steal. Hardly Nrl football is it. Leigh similarly. The conditions were dreadful on both nights.

Again with a couple of correct calls by the ref in both games probably would have seen a different result in both games. I'm not saying we are playing good football, but in the last 2 weeks we have had to play the conditions.

We have lost to 3 of the other teams around us and drawn one, but unlike all of them, we have put all of the teams below us to bed. Fev lost at York, Sheffield to Workington, Halifax to Dewsbury and Leigh got hammered against Halifax. Tbf nobody has looked like stuffing us, and if this is part of the longer term plan then so be it. It's alright saying I'd rather be entertained and lose every week, but long term can you see Rochdale and Oldham surviving? I can't. By doing what we are doing, we are better placed to be in sl2 if it comes off and the better funding it will bring. Therefore it has to be the right plan of action for the club, so come on, rather than moaning get behind the club. We are perpetual overachievers and better placed than every other club our size to progress in the future, yet some are still moaning.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 03 July 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

It was interesting listening to JK on Sky last Monday enthusiastically extolling the tactic of three drives in your own half from the wingers and full-back as a means of allowing the forwards a chance for recovery. Clearly this explains the dominance in your playing style in your own half.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

It was interesting listening to JK on Sky last Monday enthusiastically extolling the tactic of three drives in your own half from the wingers and full-back as a means of allowing the forwards a chance for recovery. Clearly this explains the dominance in your playing style in your own half.

The drives from wingers and full back is a good ploy to rest forwards, but we do it EVERY SET!

Our forwards are spelled too, so im a bit puzzled by his constant use of this tactic.

Edited by buford t justice, 06 July 2013 - 10:46 AM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#26 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

It seems to tire the lower teams OK but certainly is not as effective against the better teams as you would expect

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#27 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

The thing is though, winning is more important than anything else currently with the proposed shake-up. Our gates are poor and the best way of getting money in is through prize money. Open skilful rugby means you have to have the cash to buy the players capable of playing that type of rugby. We are struggling to hold the ball for a full set playing 1 out stuff, imagine how much more ball we would lose if we were throwing it about?

People are whining about the last 2 games, but how much rugby did Sheffield play? All they had was the kick and the barge over and a freak try from a ball steal. Hardly Nrl football is it. Leigh similarly. The conditions were dreadful on both nights.

Again with a couple of correct calls by the ref in both games probably would have seen a different result in both games. I'm not saying we are playing good football, but in the last 2 weeks we have had to play the conditions.

We have lost to 3 of the other teams around us and drawn one, but unlike all of them, we have put all of the teams below us to bed. Fev lost at York, Sheffield to Workington, Halifax to Dewsbury and Leigh got hammered against Halifax. Tbf nobody has looked like stuffing us, and if this is part of the longer term plan then so be it. It's alright saying I'd rather be entertained and lose every week, but long term can you see Rochdale and Oldham surviving? I can't. By doing what we are doing, we are better placed to be in sl2 if it comes off and the better funding it will bring. Therefore it has to be the right plan of action for the club, so come on, rather than moaning get behind the club. We are perpetual overachievers and better placed than every other club our size to progress in the future, yet some are still moaning.

A FINER POST I HAVE YET TO SEE.... TOO MANY WHINGERS ON HERE DOGFATHER! ... IF WE WIN TOMMORROW THEYLL ALL BE FULL OF PRAISE.... VERY FICKEL BEASTS MOST BATLEY FANS!

#28 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

And what's so wrong with that? It's what being a supporter is all about. It's a rollercoaster not a walk in the park.

#29 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

a "supporter" u said it yourself dd.
we should be very happy with where we are IMO

#30 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Henry, I'm very happy where we are at the moment. However, I'd be a lot happier if I thought we were using our hugely talented attacking players - such as Johnson, Campbell, Potts and Black, to the best of their abilities. We clearly haven't been doing that in recent weeks. Its really nothing to do with 'being happy' where we are in comparison to previous seasons of struggle.

Edited by TheTerminator, 06 July 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Posted Image

#31 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I used to think that but actually we should aim.high. You get what you wish for. If those of influence in our club thought that then perhaps we would be fighting for our lives at the bottom of this division rather than being where we are.

#32 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

agreed. however im just suprised at the current backlash.... with comments like "seasons over" etc... we have a fantastic team and as you say the people who influence the club have done fantastic ... so i think they deserve a bit more faith.... the tactics we employ have worked this year... im fed up of hearing all the wouldbe coaches on here. we should have beat fev and sheff at home Imo. would that have stopped the talk of using wingers more?!??!!!. .... we all leave the ground disappointed after a defeat... i think some of us go too faron here! :-)

#33 vile rodders

vile rodders
  • Coach
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

That's the problem Henry if you accept mediocrity that's what you get

The facts are we can't trouble any of the top 4 points scored 50 in six

games against them speaks volumes for me.

#34 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yes agree with Henry oulton,we have had a bit of a bad patch,which fev had earlier in season aswell so was that because their team is rubbish and there season was over,it's a marathon not a sprint,lets get behind the boys

#35 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Agreed were still 3rd and still not firing on all clynders yet when it clicks then lets c what happens . My self im fustrated that we have 3 of the quickest wingers that we have ever had but cant seem to get a center or hslf back to give them some proper service . When and if this happens we could win this league in my inho.

#36 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

That's the problem Henry if you accept mediocrity that's what you get

The facts are we can't trouble any of the top 4 points scored 50 in six

games against them speaks volumes for me.

Ha ha...............this Tattinger's rubbish, why can't we have Bollinger.

(Even though you were drinking Irn Brew not too long ago!)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#37 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

So, as Dewsbury are doing the same thing now does that not mean you should aspire to better things? I am not sure you would be happy if your thread regarding the future was essentially about maintaining the status quo.

#38 flyfisherman

flyfisherman
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Agreed were still 3rd and still not firing on all clynders yet when it clicks then lets c what happens . My self im fustrated that we have 3 of the quickest wingers that we have ever had but cant seem to get a center or hslf back to give them some proper service . When and if this happens we could win this league in my inho.

I agree. In addition the left side of our attack don't see enough ball. It is very predictable to keep attacking on our right hand side even when we are out numbered. Be nice to see the Dogs move the ball around and keep our opponents guessing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users