Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TRL Helpdesk - car advice

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

As mentioned on the uninteresting facts thread I'm thinking of trading in the Porsche for a diesel estate. Budget will be around 6-7 grand. I was thinking of a mid 00's BMW 520d tourer or a Passat but open to suggestions. Any advice as what to look for would be welcome. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#2 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Volvo.

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,020 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

I was thinking of buying a BMW but I saw a bloke trying to manoeuvre one down a snowy side street once and it put me off for life. Don't know if they're all rear wheel drive but, if they are, it's summat to think about.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Rear wheel drive and snow do not mix well.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

What you wanting to use it for (other than the obvious driving about)?

As an aside, how have you found Boxster ownership? I keep thinking about one to replace the MX5 I've had for the last 12 years, though I'm probably about 18 months off getting one if I decide to finally move on.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#6 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,354 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

As mentioned on the uninteresting facts thread I'm thinking of trading in the Porsche for a diesel estate. Budget will be around 6-7 grand. I was thinking of a mid 00's BMW 520d tourer or a Passat but open to suggestions. Any advice as what to look for would be welcome. 

Skoda Octavia vRS estate. I've got the petrol version but go for the diesel version is you do lots and lots of miles.

Have a look at the Superb estate if you really need a massive car, but have a play in an Octavia vRS first.

28m391z.jpg

#7 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

As an aside, how have you found Boxster ownership? I keep thinking about one to replace the MX5 I've had for the last 12 years, though I'm probably about 18 months off getting one if I decide to finally move on.

I don't do a lot of miles (~5k per year) but would like to be able to pack the bikes and lots of camping gear for when we go away. Both of us have two seaters so camping tends to be essentials only. I have considered Skodas but was turned off them by a mate who had one as a company car and wasn't that impressed.

As for the boxster it is by far the best car I've ever driven. You'll find that they are surprisingly big especially compared to the MX5 with a bit more luggage space with the front boot. Mine is a 2001 2.7 litre 986 and given the choice again I would go for the s version (the reason i didn't was I thought the insurance would be too steep but it doesn't make any difference). The downsides are that servicing costs a fortune because the engine is hidden away under the folding roof and it can be quite uncomfortable on long journeys. Mileage is as expected, I can get 400 miles out of a tank with mainly motorway driving but ordinary mixed cycle driving averages between 250 - 300 miles.

Edited by Severus, 29 June 2013 - 07:41 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#8 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

I don't do a lot of miles (~5k per year) but would like to be able to pack the bikes and lots of camping gear for when we go away. Both of us have two seaters so camping tends to be essentials only. I have considered Skodas but was turned off them by a mate who had one as a company car and wasn't that impressed.

As for the boxster it is by far the best car I've ever driven. You'll find that they are surprisingly big especially compared to the MX5 with a bit more luggage space with the front boot. Mine is a 2001 2.7 litre 986 and given the choice again I would go for the s version (the reason i didn't was I thought the insurance would be too steep but it doesn't make any difference). The downsides are that servicing costs a fortune because the engine is hidden away under the folding roof and it can be quite uncomfortable on long journeys. Mileage is as expected, I can get 400 miles out of a tank with mainly motorway driving but ordinary mixed cycle driving averages between 250 - 300 miles.

I run a Nissan X Trail for that sort of stuff, plus given where I live and work, the 4 wheel drive and ground clearance come in handy. If you manage a Boxster all year round, I can't see rwd being an issue if you had a 5 series. I do understand though that the 2 litre BMW diesels are known for blowing turbos though, or at least some are. Might be worth a little checking into before you buy. Other than that, any decent sized estate should do the job, just set a budget then hunt on autotrader to see what takes your fancy.

The MX5 is smaller than people realise, especially width. I only do about 5k per year in it, so running costs within reason don't scare me too much for something different. I do however wonder whether I really want something that much more powerful though, when the MX5 still puts a smile on my face and handles so nicely. It's not worth much at 14 years old and doesn't cost much to run, so my attachment to it is why I still own it and run two cars as well as having a bike!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#9 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,081 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Can I have a grade two on the sides and back, grade four on top please.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#10 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

If you are doing 5/6 k a year I wouldn't get a diesel. You will never see the extra expense back and you can have swirl flap issues with BMW engines, some cars can have DPF and DMF problems. Have a look at a Mazda 6 estate make sure it is petrol though.or maybe an accord estate.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#11 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

Can I have a grade two on the sides and back, grade four on top please.

No. The only hair I cut is my own, blade all over. :P

Please view my photos.

#12 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

If you are doing 5/6 k a year I wouldn't get a diesel. You will never see the extra expense back and you can have swirl flap issues with BMW engines, some cars can have DPF and DMF problems. Have a look at a Mazda 6 estate make sure it is petrol though.or maybe an accord estate.

What do DPF and DMF mean? Think you are right about the deisel issue. I thought the age of the car I would be going for I would be better off with a deisel, perhaps not. The Mazda 6 has popped up on a few review summaries.
Fides invicta triumphat

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Your partner already has a car, you only do about 5000 miles a year and you want a car that you can put camping and pushbikes in.

I am seriously suggesting that you get a van. Once you have driven a van, many people far prefer them to normal vehicles. It's so much easier to drive when you are high up off the road and you never have to think about whether you can get anything in the back. Camping-wise, you could actually sleep in it overnight  during torrential rain etc.

Most van manufacturers have deluxe versions to cater for drivers who do plenty of motorway mileage. I drive a five-seater VW Transporter van that cost £24000 new and has a spec that  matches everything that, say, a high-spec Mondeo or Insignia would have. It also flies on the motorway. Unfortunately, it's garbage on mud ... but that wouldn't bother you.

I wouldn't recommend a specific model because, buying secondhand, each van must be judged on its individual state. You can go to a used van dealer and have a look and test drive for nothing, so why not give it a shot?

You can buy used pick-up trucks really cheap but the cargo bay in any boxed pick-up truck is surprisingly small for a vehicle of that size. I used to have a Navara pick-up truck that was a fantastic motor but  two bikes had to go in on their sides with one on top of the other, which is unsatisfactory.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#14 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

I do like the sound of a van and have driven a few transits and loved it (brings out the inner white can man in everyone). Might have a scoot around.
Fides invicta triumphat

#15 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I do like the sound of a van and have driven a few transits and loved it (brings out the inner white can man in everyone). Might have a scoot around.

Get a hard top Land Rover Defender 90, you get a lot more for your money than if you go for a County and it'd fit the camping bill perfectly!

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,400 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

307774557.jpg

Really, petrol for anything less than 10 -15k miles a year. You can do the maths, I reckon.

OR get a high mileage big engine diesel (3 litre)  ex company car : low cost, low stress, lots of extras but put some money aside for possible big bills.

or keep the Boxter and get one of these:

300px-SIIa_Lightweight_front.jpg

#17 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

DMF is dual mass flywheel can mean mega money to replace. DPF is diesel particular filter again a chunk of money to sort.
Have a look at fiat Qubo or Citroen Berlingo ideal for camping. For 6k you could one still in warranty.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Get a hard top Land Rover Defender 90, you get a lot more for your money than if you go for a County and it'd fit the camping bill perfectly!

Sev. How big are you? I can't drive a Defender Landrover without twisting my torso because the steering wheel rim is so close to the driver's door window. And I'm not that big a bloke. I get a really stiff back after driving one for a few hours.

Watch any farmer driving one in warm weather and he'll have the window open with his arm stuck out with his elbow resting on the windowsill.

Add to that agricultural seats, suspension and road noise plus a small cargo bay. You can see why Landrovers are an acquired taste. There again, they last for ever and hold their price.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, not really into Defenders. IMO you shouldn't drive one unless you do some serious off road work, the same can almost be said for any 4x4 but I like Discoveries :blush:

My initial thought about the deisel was that I'll be after a high spec older car with probably around 125k miles on the clock and I assume that deisels tend to be more robust that petrol engines (I may well be wrong though).
Fides invicta triumphat

#20 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

I wouldn't worry about buying a high mileage petrol there is generally less to go wrong. And cheaper not as much demand compared to diesel.

[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users