Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Getting rid of the Super League brand

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

If and when the top two divisions of Rugby League are reorganised and the revenue sharing of the TV money is changed do people think that getting rid of the Super League brand is a good idea? Make a fresh start of it and call it the RFL or Rugby League Premiership? 

If the TV money is no longer limited to the top 12 or 14 clubs then the whole concept of a "Super League" would be defunct anyway. What do people think. Is the Super League branding a dated gimmick with divisive connotations for those within the British game and in Australia or is it still popular? I have always felt the "Super League" brand was tainted by what went on in the 1990s with mergers and the split in the British and international game and makes the sport in the UK look solely like a creature of the Murdoch Empire. 

Personally I think it would be better to brand the top division as the "RFL Premiership" or the "Rugby League Premiership". Obviously with the space for sponsorship. (We live in hope!)

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yep, I agree and have been saying it for a few months now.

Throughout the world and UK there are other "Super League" brands occuring and I think this will begin to confuse matters.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Agreed I dislike the term 'Super League', as you say it's an awfully dated gimmick. Bring back the old premiership trophy whilst their at it as well!

#4 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

It would be nice to go back to being a bit more classy and it would be nice to refer to the game as rugby league

#5 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

From an Aussie, can't agree more.

#6 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

It would be nice to go back to being a bit more classy and it would be nice to refer to the game as rugby league

Agreed
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#7 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Well I think referring to Rugby League or the RFL in the title of the competition would be better for marketing purposes. Once the Super League's administration was merged back together with the RFL the Super League concept became a bit redundant anyway.  

Also just being called after the sponsor might be more attractive for the companies than a competition called Super League. The Stobart's Premiership, the Bet Fair Premiership etc. 

It works for the Aviva Premiership in Union. 

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Make a fresh start of it and call it the RFL or Rugby League Premiership?

Perhaps not Premiership though, what with the union having that sewn up.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I couldn't agree more, new name and new logo and hopefully new major sponsor......... how about the....

RUGBY PREMIER LEAGUE

#10 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

Rugby Premier League sounds great!

#11 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Throughout the world and UK there are other "Super League" brands occuring and I think this will begin to confuse matters.

Just to be clear, there are also Premierships, Premier Leagues, Championships, National Leagues, what name do you suggest that is not used by any other sport in the world? And if any other sport then uses than name will we have to change again?

The Super League name is recognised a well known and understood brand by the wider public, when some Premier League footballer tweets he is watching a great Super League match everyone knows what he means. No one thinks he is referring to netball, women's football, Greek football or ice hockey from the 1990s. When you put Super League in wikipedia it goes straight to our sport, not the disambiguation page. If you want any of those others you have to click through it.

There are other Premier Leagues but everyone knows you mean the English football one. There are other Super Leagues, but everyone knows when you mean the Anglo-French rugby league one.

The general public do not know and could not care less about divisive issues in the game or what happened in Australia. And any dedicated rugby league fan who refuses to watch the sport because of the name is the sort of person not worth chasing after as they will only find some other excuse to deride it. Having a strong recognisable brand is an asset, throwing that away to start over is only going to risk damaging the already limited exposure it has and for very little gain.

And it is difficult enough finding a sponsor is difficult now when we have an established name in the general consciousness. Why would any company want to attach itself to something that most people will have never heard of. We will know learn a new name quickly, the average Question of Sport viewer will not.

#12 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

The sooner the SL brand is got rid of the better

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Just to be clear, there are also Premierships, Premier Leagues, Championships, National Leagues, what name do you suggest that is not used by any other sport in the world? And if any other sport then uses than name will we have to change again?

The Rugby League of the Extraordinary.

The Rugby League of the Less Extraordinary.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Super League as a brand has little awareness IMO.
I hear more about Womens football as SL
As someone said Super League sounds dated. To me, its 10 years out of date.
We need a brand name that includes rugby, more than it includes League.

#15 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Rugby Premier League sounds good. The RPL. Or the Rugby League Premiership. The RLP. 

Both snappy three letter initialism. 

RFL Premiership would be my choice. Engage RFL Premiership, Bet Fair RFL Premiership etc. 

#16 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

I quite like Super League. Definitive and unambiguous in my opinion.

#17 emigrated roughyed

emigrated roughyed
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

We should call it NRL and have branding similar to the aussies, but red, white and blue colours (also remove the stars obviously). The leagues could be Nrl 1 & nrl 2

#18 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

If and when the top two divisions of Rugby League are reorganised and the revenue sharing of the TV money is changed do people think that getting rid of the Super League brand is a good idea? Make a fresh start of it and call it the RFL or Rugby League Premiership?

If the TV money is no longer limited to the top 12 or 14 clubs then the whole concept of a "Super League" would be defunct anyway. What do people think. Is the Super League branding a dated gimmick with divisive connotations for those within the British game and in Australia or is it still popular? I have always felt the "Super League" brand was tainted by what went on in the 1990s with mergers and the split in the British and international game and makes the sport in the UK look solely like a creature of the Murdoch Empire.

Personally I think it would be better to brand the top division as the "RFL Premiership" or the "Rugby League Premiership". Obviously with the space for sponsorship. (We live in hope!)

super league was started to revolutionise rugby league but it hasn't happened to what we expected I can remember cas being one of the main players with the match day experience same as Bradford, what's happened since has everybody stopped trying!!

#19 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

super league was started to revolutionise rugby league but it hasn't happened to what we expected I can remember cas being one of the main players with the match day experience same as Bradford, what's happened since has everybody stopped trying!!

#20 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

Leeds seem to be happy plodding along and they could be the biggest club ever to exist they have massive potential!!h