TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Getting rid of the Super League brand

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#101 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

edit

Edited by AndyCapp, 02 July 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#102 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I saw that coming a mile off, it'll take more than name calling to wrench me away from this thread, the interesting topic is plane to see. The (alan) key thing is not to hammer one's point home but to keep things on a sensible (spirit) level.

Shame you don't have anything to add then.

#103 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Shame you don't have anything to add then.

See post #2 if you can climb down that far off your high horse.

Then go give someone else some 'ackro'.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#104 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

On the basis of 8 half-cut blokes at a dinner party, who clearly aren't all that interested of rugby of either code?

Gav, Super League is a generic name. I'm sure it was hoped that Super League would become synonymous with top flight RL but it hasn't. Now we have a situation where the brand has degenerated in the public consciousness and we have effectively lost the battle for what Super League stands for. It wasn't copywrited and the brand wasn't fit to apply to other high level RL competitions like the WCC or Challenge Cup. In fact SL is a stand alone competition because of politics, something that none of us would get 5 minutes to explain to the unitiated.

The only option if there is a desire to build a brand for RL, is to create or develop one that no other sport or competition can have and protect it. 

#105 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

In as far as the term is used by several sports, I think RL would come out top if you did a poll of random people.
Considering our low resources, I think Super League is synonymous with Rugby League.
This doesn't mean that everyone in the country would know or care but still. ...

#106 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

See post #2 if you can climb down that far off your high horse.

Then go give someone else some 'ackro'.

I've already had the benefit of your buddy's condescension which you think's fine. How ironic.

#107 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

In as far as the term is used by several sports, I think RL would come out top if you did a poll of random people.
Considering our low resources, I think Super League is synonymous with Rugby League.
This doesn't mean that everyone in the country would know or care but still. ...

It's purely hypothetical now but it would've been interesting to have done a poll back in early SL and then one again at present. As to whether the '95 re-brand struck a chord, even if it was a chord of awareness, compared to what it would do today. After all it is a similar theme to what we're talking about again now.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#108 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

I've already had the benefit of your buddy's condescension which you think's fine. How ironic.

(I dunno who that is, gingey? He's like that to every one and is a little too sarky at times, anyway kiss and a cuddle and let's crack on... I think we're on the same side here!)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#109 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

And we wonder why our game struggles when ideas like this crop up (along with the 8x8x8 system and
1000's others.) It is a recognised. In all seriousness do people think that when SL is mention that people think of Netball. It has 18 years recognition at full time professional level.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#110 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

And we wonder why our game struggles when ideas like this crop up (along with the 8x8x8 system and
1000's others.) It is a recognised. In all seriousness do people think that when SL is mention that people think of Netball. It has 18 years recognition at full time professional level.

Perhaps not right now. But who knows in the future, netball and women's football have every right to grow themselves, but not just in the UK terminology either, while it might be jumping the gun if we're looking abroad for sponsorship and there are other usages around the globe. I do think it could get diluted, and personally I'm not a fan of the title anyway, I don't actually think I use the term day-to-day when talking about specific rugby barring on this forum.

Still, netball and the WSL are getting some cracking references on this thread anyway!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#111 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Gav, Super League is a generic name. I'm sure it was hoped that Super League would become synonymous with top flight RL but it hasn't. Now we have a situation where the brand has degenerated in the public consciousness and we have effectively lost the battle for what Super League stands for. It wasn't copywrited and the brand wasn't fit to apply to other high level RL competitions like the WCC or Challenge Cup. In fact SL is a stand alone competition because of politics, something that none of us would get 5 minutes to explain to the unitiated.

The only option if there is a desire to build a brand for RL, is to create or develop one that no other sport or competition can have and protect it. 

Do you have a spare £500k for a full rebrand then?

SuperLeague is fine for the top level comp, the Championships is fine for the lower levels, and Rugby League of the Extraordinary is fine across the board.

Having another identity crisis and changing the branding yet again will achieve nothing more than further confusion to the uninitiated, in my humble opinion. Leave it as it is.

Posted Image

#112 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Why get rid of it.It would take another 18 years for the new brand to be recognised and then someone else would suggest "this isn't working,let's change it".

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#113 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Screen_Shot_2013_07_02_at_14_31_55.jpg

Not one mention of Netball or Woman's Football anywhere. Super League is Rugby League.

Posted Image

#114 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

I don't mean to be flippant, but I did the same thing on twitter, without signing in (whether or not that makes a difference I don't know) and 'Super League' came up with many other references from around the world.

edit: currently a lot of Malaysian Super League so perhaps poorly timed.

Edited by hindle xiii, 02 July 2013 - 01:44 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#115 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't mean to be flippant, but I did the same thing on twitter, without signing in (whether or not that makes a difference I don't know) and 'Super League' came up with many other references from around the world.

edit: currently a lot of Malaysian Super League so perhaps poorly timed.

A very quick test on a computer I've not used before using googles from around the world seemed to show that regardless of nationality (I tried a few different ones) you get the rugby version of Super League first and then the soccer leagues (Greece apparently) ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#116 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

A very quick test on a computer I've not used before using googles from around the world seemed to show that regardless of nationality (I tried a few different ones) you get the rugby version of Super League first and then the soccer leagues (Greece apparently) ...

I don't know if it matters but I will at least footnote that I think the netball and WSL could be out of season.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#117 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I don't know if it matters but I will at least footnote that I think the netball and WSL could be out of season.

Middle of the season for the WSL, plus a further announcement about next season's franchising was made yesterday, plus the women's Euro 2013 starts next week.

Correct about netball though, I believe.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#118 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

The WSL is 6 matches in to their season.

Posted Image

#119 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Middle of the season for the WSL, plus a further announcement about next season's franchising was made yesterday, plus the women's Euro 2013 starts next week.

Correct about netball though, I believe.

Oh right, BBC had "no fixtures found in the next 7 days" for Women's football inc. WSL.

Anyroad, I think we're getting into unnecessary nitty-gritty hair-splitting here.

Booooooooo, down with Super League!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#120 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Perhaps some kind of mid-season break for internationals?

Hmm, WSL could be leading the way! ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users