Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Saints Situation....

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Looks like pretty tough going at Saints right now.... What's the view on Nathan Brown & the prospects for the rest of the season?

#2 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Looks like pretty tough going at Saints right now.... What's the view on Nathan Brown & the prospects for the rest of the season?

He shouldn't of even got the job, and there prospects look pritty poor :P

#3 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

He shouldn't of even got the job, and there prospects look pritty poor :P

Not much more needs to be said really does it :laugh:

Edited by MrFussy, 29 June 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Its how faithful the faithul are, when Wigan slumped it didn't affect attendance, will Saints support do the same, Bradford supporters walked, I think Western fans are more resilient to poor performance on field..

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

All I can say is

I told you so...

#6 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Its how faithful the faithul are, when Wigan slumped it didn't affect attendance, will Saints support do the same, Bradford supporters walked, I think Western fans are more resilient to poor performance on field..

Some of us have to be. :sleep:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Some of us have to be. :sleep:

Sideline, off thread.

Just got back from Crete, you'll probably hate me for mentioning this.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Is there a 'Saints situation'? They're not as good as they used to be; they might just have to get used to it. As far as I know, they're relatively financially secure. In fact, the future looked very bright with a few excellent young players coming through until very recently - I think they started to panic and 1/2 have drifted away now.

As for the fans, this place used to teem with gloating Saints fans and most of them have cleared off now.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Bradford supporters walked, I think Western fans are more resilient to poor performance on field..

Oh no....

Exiles.v.England

calls for Yorkshire.v.Lancashire to return

Now that will trigger Easts.v.Wests (state of compass match)

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Is there a 'Saints situation'? They're not as good as they used to be; they might just have to get used to it. .

If you total all silverware then Saints are still the most successful team in the superleague era, we are also the second most successful team in the history of the sport (second only to Wigan).  We haven't been out of the top five for yonks (ie even before superleague!).  So yes, there is a Saints situation.  When a club that is consistently competing at the top end of the table (even before superleague!) suddenly, in a single season, looks like it may not even be in the top HALF of the table, then there is a situation.  It's not a crisis that is imminent demotion (which is impossible from superleague just now) or imminent administration (so far as I'm aware!) but it is still a situation.

#11 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Sideline, off thread.

Just got back from Crete, you'll probably hate me for mentioning this.

Tried to PM this as it is off topic, but I think your inbox is full, so here is my reply.

Hope you had a good time. I don't hate you for mentioning it, I'm off there in just over three weeks and I'm staying for five weeks. You'll probably hate me for mentioning that. ;)

We must catch up some time. GF perhaps?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#12 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

the only situation at saints is that some players need to be cleared out, and a new coach installed, how on earth can brown justify playing a second row and an ageing full back in the halves against some teams this season. perry, puletua, meli, wellens, wilkin, hohaia, need to be shown the way to salford before they sink any lower, i have never seen such a poor saints team as this one, even with injuries in the past they have performed. but this season it just isn't there. i live in the town and get the impression that the fans are getting sick and tired of being served up with the poor standards this season but like all good fans they will stand by the team.....................but for how long

try being a widnes fan in the late 90's now that was a dire team, but i have had my season ticket, membership for 30 years and attend almost every game every season, and i have many friends who are saints fans and they have the same attitude as me..............stick with the team through good and bad and from brilliance to abyssmal.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 29 June 2013 - 08:46 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#13 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

If you total all silverware then Saints are still the most successful team in the superleague era, we are also the second most successful team in the history of the sport (second only to Wigan). We haven't been out of the top five for yonks (ie even before superleague!). So yes, there is a Saints situation. When a club that is consistently competing at the top end of the table (even before superleague!) suddenly, in a single season, looks like it may not even be in the top HALF of the table, then there is a situation. It's not a crisis that is imminent demotion (which is impossible from superleague just now) or imminent administration (so far as I'm aware!) but it is still a situation.

My post wasn't a dig. It's just so strange to see a Saints side so flat & not as intimidating as in previous years.

They've inflicted years of beatings against my boys home & away..... Next week looks interesting

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Tried to PM this as it is off topic, but I think your inbox is full, so here is my reply.

Hope you had a good time. I don't hate you for mentioning it, I'm off there in just over three weeks and I'm staying for five weeks. You'll probably hate me for mentioning that. ;)

We must catch up some time. GF perhaps?

Just off to clear my inbox.

yes you have just done me, with that one. [sulkmode]rsten frassen rick rastedly[/sulkmode]

Enjoy, I know you will.

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

My post wasn't a dig. It's just so strange to see a Saints side so flat & not as intimidating as in previous years.

They've inflicted years of beatings against my boys home & away..... Next week looks interesting

Oh, you'll win.  Of that I am certain.

#16 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Oh, you'll win. Of that I am certain.

I love it when you talk like that.....!!

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Is saints wage bill based on prize money as opposed to gate money, if it assumed that you can keep on pulling in prize money than if they go nowhere than they could have a financial gap.

I suspect, hope, that is not the case with Mcmanus in charge.

Edited by Padge, 29 June 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#18 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

They've had a few injuries though haven't they?

From only a few weeks of (admittedly heavy!) exposure to NRL, I can advise that they've made 2 excellent signings for next year anyway in Walsh and Masoe (sp?) from Penrith. Probably the 2 best players on the pitch in tonight's Panthers-Dragons game. Walsh always wants his hands on the ball and has a good kicking game (great goal kicking stats too) and Masoe is a barnstorming runner. Not really sure how the Panthers have let those 2 slip, tbh. Bit depressing for the rest of Super League that they're bolstering an already big side and I think both will be surprised at the low standing of the game over here. But fair play to Saints for nabbing them and slightly bucking the trend of the SL player drain to NRL.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 29 June 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#19 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

They've had a few injuries though haven't they?

From only a few weeks of (admittedly heavy!) exposure to NRL, I can advise that they've made 2 excellent signings for next year anyway in Walsh and Masoe (sp?) from Penrith. Probably the 2 best players on the pitch in tonight's Panthers-Dragons game. Walsh always wants his hands on the ball and has a good kicking game (great goal kicking stats too) and Masoe is a barnstorming runner. Not really sure how the Panthers have let those 2 slip, tbh. Bit depressing for the rest of Super League that they're bolstering an already big side and I think both will be surprised at the low standing of the game over here. But fair play to Saints for nabbing them and slightly bucking the trend of the SL player drain to NRL.

Both Walsh and Masoe were released by Penrith as they were no longer wanted at the Club.

#20 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

Both Walsh and Masoe were released by Penrith as they were no longer wanted at the Club.

Yes I know. That was my point.