TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Saints Situation....

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

:P We've been in what you could call transition for a few years already.  It's not unthinkable that it could be many years before we win anything else, there are plenty of things which we need to work on but none of them will guarantee success.

Of course I hope that's not the case and we're back up there in the near future but time will tell.

Just now I don't care about winning anything other than a match!  In fact, scrap that.  I'd just like to see us play with commitment.

#82 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just now I don't care about winning anything other than a match! In fact, scrap that. I'd just like to see us play with commitment.

I've just realised that it would have been wiser to have kept my big mouth shut & started this thread in a few days after Sunday's game..... I can sense a backlash coming from the Saints boys.....

#83 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

I've just realised that it would have been wiser to have kept my big mouth shut & started this thread in a few days after Sunday's game..... I can sense a backlash coming from the Saints boys.....

We're not capable of a backlash.  We can drop the ball, miss tackles (especially on our line), kick out on the full, slip a lot, give away penalties and not make touch when awarded a penalty, but we can't do backlash.

#84 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

We're not capable of a backlash. We can drop the ball, miss tackles (especially on our line), kick out on the full, slip a lot, give away penalties and not make touch when awarded a penalty, but we can't do backlash.

Let's see what there is to be said round about tea time ish on Sunday

#85 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Why Saints arnt starting Gaskell is a mystery, their loss I guess.

Gaskell can't tackle a hot dinner and panics every time he's put under pressure.

There's also string rumour that he has a serious attitude problem and cant keep out of trouble off the field which is why Rush, Cunningham & Brown all ditched him from the 1st team.

#86 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

If Leeds build a team around Sutcliffe and Gaskell in the halves, Ward at 13 and the backline they have they are going to be one hell of a force. Why Saints arnt starting Gaskell is a mystery, their loss I guess.

igather you haven't watched the rhinos much this season. robbie burrow has een outstanding in his natural position. and he is only 30, add to that the brilliant youngsters waiting in the wings and i fail to see why leeds would want to build a team around lee gaskell......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#87 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Interesting statement from the club today as well (link below). I don't think I have ever seen a press release like this before. Things are not very rosy...

http://www.saintsrlf.../news/page/3143

eamon has always been a master of double speak. even when he was a teenager when we were boozing partners.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#88 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Gaskell can't tackle a hot dinner and panics every time he's put under pressure.

There's also string rumour that he has a serious attitude problem and cant keep out of trouble off the field which is why Rush, Cunningham & Brown all ditched him from the 1st team.

I don't know where you get the idea from that he can't tackle.  I've watched him countless times during his period at Saints and he is no better or worse than most of our players.

Rumours are just that: rumours.  They should be ignored.  Maybe if some fans engaged their brains for a moment or two they may ask why such problems didn't occur during his first season when Simmons was coach but then did occur when Rush/Brown took over (or Rush/Rush, depending on your particular conspiracy theory).  Players aren't always the problem, you know.  Sometimes faces don't fit, for no logical reason; sometimes a change in coach brings a change in emphasis or direction that leaves a particular player or players out on a limb (look at Hohaia for an example of that - he is only ever played off the bench now and that is not always the case even so).

#89 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

eamon has always been a master of double speak. even when he was a teenager when we were boozing partners.

Eammon has staked his reputation on Brown, being that he didn't interview anyone else and signed him up for 3 years, so there is no way he is going to point the finger at Brown for our abysmal showings, especially at home.

However, pointing the finger at the fans, which he does in his statement, is a sure fire way to encourage more fans to stay away/leave early/boo the next abysmal showing at home.  He should show more respect for the people who pay their hard earned cash to watch that utter drivvel.

#90 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

igather you haven't watched the rhinos much this season. robbie burrow has een outstanding in his natural position. and he is only 30, add to that the brilliant youngsters waiting in the wings and i fail to see why leeds would want to build a team around lee gaskell......

What on earth?

I'm not sure what your opinion is. If it's Hooker he hasn't been outstanding, he's been pretty average. If you mean scrum half, he's played 3 games their. So how can you make a point about me not watching Leeds this season when you've formed an opinion after 3 games.

I didn't say build it round Gaskell, I said Sutcliffe Ward and Gaskell. Leeds with that 6 7 13 would be incredibly balanced and with the backs they have they'd be a threat to any one. If Leeds could pick Gaskell up on the cheap it would be a coup if I'm honest, 2 seasons ago I expected him to be in WC contention but now he's just in no man's land.

Do we have a problem developing out and out half backs to the highest level?

#91 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

burrows natural position is 7 and he has been in brilliant form in that position this season. robbie has played far more than 3 games as a scrum half when mcshane has been on the pitch burrow goes to 7 simples.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users