• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Turned over

Never heard of them. Are they any good? ;)
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Never heard of them. Are they any good? ;)

they record on the apple label

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

When was the last time they issued a decent album?

The Stones have become their own Tribute Band, which is not to say that they aren't a brilliant live act.

I saw them at Roundhay years ago and, having seen them once, have had no great urge to go and see them again.

Mick Jagger is 70 this month.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

The Stones have become their own Tribute Band, which is not to say that they aren't a brilliant live act.

I saw them at Roundhay years ago and, having seen them once, have had no great urge to go and see them again.

Same here, although I saw them at Main Road in 1990.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#25 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I enjoyed the Glastonbury set. I'd go to see them just because they are the Rolling Stones. Not that I could afford a ticket.

Does it really matter when they last put out a decent album with the gold standard back catalogue they've got to draw on?

And who goes to see a band like that to hear the new stuff anyway? In my experience, 'here's one from the new album' always sparks a surge for the bar or the toilets. Just play the goddamn hits! :)

I'd hope to be as agile as Mick Jagger when I reach 70, but I'm not even that agile now. Fair play to him, I say.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

I don't mind hearing a band play new stuff. :unsure:
But in the case of the Stones JD is probably right here.

#27 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=AGhSSwLHP_U

this song was about mick jagger bout 20 years ago

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#28 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Noooo!!! they were dirgy and awful and wtf has happened to Alex Turner?

The Strypes

What has happened to him? Has he stopped sounding like George Formby?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#29 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

The Stones sounded tight but looked pretty grim, like they were gonna keel over at any minute......someone mentioned The Who, I went to see them at manchester in June, they were immense, sounded amazing and looked in pretty good nick still

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,242 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

The Stones sounded tight but looked pretty grim, like they were gonna keel over at any minute......someone mentioned The Who, I went to see them at manchester in June, they were immense, sounded amazing and looked in pretty good nick still

who give a flying fart what they look like

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#31 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

More an observation on their apparent health, presumably they're all roughly the same age (pushing 70ish?).....but that the Who were wearing it well comparitively.....

#32 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

who give a flying fart what they look like

Chuffer! I thought the Stones still put on a decent show. It's still the only way to judge the true worth of a decent band, seeing them live! Some bands just have it, some bands just lack it! Post 12 has it right for me.

#33 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well I was there and I can tell you it was absolutely fantastic, the atmosphere was electric.

I'm not a big stones fan but it was great, I've watched tge TV coverage and it really doesn't get across the energy from the crowd or the band. I've been to my fair share of Glastonburys and the stones set on Saturday was up there with one of my best 'Glasto' moments, although there has been many :-) still THE best festival in my eyes.

#34 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Are you comparing seeing the who 'live' to the stones on the TV or were you at Glastonbury?

#35 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

lol - point taken.......

#36 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,325 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well I was there and I can tell you it was absolutely fantastic, the atmosphere was electric.

I'm not a big stones fan but it was great, I've watched tge TV coverage and it really doesn't get across the energy from the crowd or the band. I've been to my fair share of Glastonburys and the stones set on Saturday was up there with one of my best 'Glasto' moments, although there has been many :-) still THE best festival in my eyes.

Lucky ######. It's fashionable to slag off Glastonbury and its true you do have to have money to go, but it is a special festival.
Fides invicta triumphat

#37 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,570 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

And who goes to see a band like that to hear the new stuff anyway? In my experience, 'here's one from the new album' always sparks a surge for the bar or the toilets.

And, if that doesn't work, "now Keith's going to sing one of his songs" should do the trick. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#38 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

I like the Stones a lot but if i'd been at Glastonbury I'd have been at west holt watching a storming Public Enemy set. Now performing live with a band as well as a DJ they were immense and showed off a fabulous back ccatalogue AND the new stuff to great effect
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users