Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Les Bolton Action Shots

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 montypark

montypark
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Wigan St Cuthberts are holding a Gala Day in aid of former Swinton player Les the Legend Bolton who is battling Alzheimer's 

Disease,Les Played and Coached at the Club,In a very successful period for the Cuthbert's,Along with John Swann,The Derbyshire Brothers Alan and John,Tommy Highton and Lol Lowe all former Swinton players,There will be a Masters game,Prior to the NCL game against Kells on Saturday the 17th of August,Local Artist Jimmy Tither is to Paint an an action shot of Les,If anyone as got any old Pictures of les playing for Swinton,We would be very  grateful,And would return the picture,When Jimmy has finished. 

#2 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Sorry to hear about Les. He always gave 100% ,hard as nails. Please give the venue details.

#3 montypark

montypark
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Venue Wigan St Cuthberts & Norley Hall Sports And Community Club WN59XL

Ko For Masters 13.00

Ko St Cuthberts v Kells 14.30

#4 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Vaguely remember Les breaking his arm stiff arming a Bramley player about 1982. Very sad to hear the news. Wholehearted player for the Lions and was a big crowd favourite.

#5 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

One of my heroes from that era ......always committed for the Lions cause, so sorry to here that he is now suffering a terrible illness.

Perhaps between now and the end of the season, perhaps the Leigh game we can organise a bucket collection on his behalf......i'd be happy to co-ordinate it but would require some assistance.

#6 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Wigan St Cuthberts are holding a Gala Day in aid of former Swinton player Les the Legend Bolton who is battling Alzheimer's 

Disease,Les Played and Coached at the Club,In a very successful period for the Cuthbert's,Along with John Swann,The Derbyshire Brothers Alan and John,Tommy Highton and Lol Lowe all former Swinton players,There will be a Masters game,Prior to the NCL game against Kells on Saturday the 17th of August,Local Artist Jimmy Tither is to Paint an an action shot of Les,If anyone as got any old Pictures of les playing for Swinton,We would be very  grateful,And would return the picture,When Jimmy has finished. 

He just snook into this one....

http://www.swintonli.../view_gallery/5

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#7 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Front and (nearly) centre...

http://www.swintonli.../view_gallery/8

#8 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Cracking photos. I've not been on the Lions' Tales website for a while, but what a collection of superb historical photos and other memorabilia.
Must be one of the most complete collections in the sporting world!
....and if anybody hears of any other Swinton RL items then let the Supporters' Trust know and it can be added.

#9 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Cracking photos. I've not been on the Lions' Tales website for a while, but what a collection of superb historical photos and other memorabilia.
Must be one of the most complete collections in the sporting world!
....and if anybody hears of any other Swinton RL items then let the Supporters' Trust know and it can be added.

A project that ably demonstrated the ample skills within the support base, the power of voluntary efforts and yearning from the community for its club to one day return.

Sadly I'm far from convinced this voice is being heard or even recognised in whatever negotiations might still be ongoing between the Council and Club w.r.t. Agecroft.

#10 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

A project that ably demonstrated the ample skills within the support base, the power of voluntary efforts and yearning from the community for its club to one day return.

Sadly I'm far from convinced this voice is being heard or even recognised in whatever negotiations might still be ongoing between the Council and Club w.r.t. Agecroft.

We need to hear of some genuine progress Phil. As we've said previously, the only possible issue with the planning permission would be if there was a mass protest of the people living on the new estates down Agecroft Road, and also the older estate on the other side of the road and I can't see that happening.

#11 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

We need to hear of some genuine progress Phil. As we've said previously, the only possible issue with the planning permission would be if there was a mass protest of the people living on the new estates down Agecroft Road, and also the older estate on the other side of the road and I can't see that happening.

. I disagree! Residents will raise issues about traffic congestion and especially parking.Howe er at this stage that's the least of our worries,obviously things have not gone according to plan as we have been told on more than one occasion that a planning application is imminent.The last being at the shirt launch last December when three weeks was quoted.

#12 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Please don't hijack this thread about Agecroft.

Posted Image

#13 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yes Paul this has gone from learning one of our ex-players has fallen to the early stages of Alzhiemers to raking up the clubs handling of Agecroft.
Not one mention of fund raising for Les Bolton.

#14 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

I remember Les reasonably well
Hed play stand off scrum half or loose forward and fill in anywhere else
Along with Tommy Highton I recall you used to wonder what they were going to do next and whether he'd stay in the pitch. He had loads of talent nonetheless and was obviously hard as nails
Alzheimers is an awful disease

Good luck to the fund raisers

#15 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I remember that Les left Swinton and joined Wigan when they ( Wigan) were in the old second division and I think he was in the Wigan team that gained promotion. Also on the subject of memories - does anyone remember the tackle that Tommy Highton made on Keith Fielding on a Friday night match at the Willows. He hit Fielding so hard they both ended up in the hoardings in front of the "shed". I remember seeing Fielding expression when he eventually took to the field again. I was at Salford University at the time and we invited Keith Fielding to be our guest speaker at the RL Club's annual dinner - he wanted too much money - so instead ended up being the guest speaker at the Athletics Union dinner instead - needless to say a few of us asked him about the tackle and strangely, he had no recollection of it.......:)

I do hope a collection can be arranged for Les - I for one would be happy to contribute.

#16 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I have now spoken with John Kidd and he has given permission to do a bucket collection at the Featherstone match on the 28th July in respect of Les.

As I have said I will run it but I will require assistance in doing the collection on the day. Anyone who can help will they make themselves known.

#17 Mark

Mark
  • Coach
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IPCR7idsvv8

Here's a video of Les getting sent off playing for Wigan, he was playing Stand Off.

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

Posted Image

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

#18 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Not a lot of football being played there!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users