Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hornets Fronting Up!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Expat exile

Expat exile
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'd hope that Matts biggest vision is of a Rochdale team, training in Rochdale, attracting Rochdale Players, using Rochdale Businesses, with Rochdale people working for the club. Oh yes Rochdale Hornets. I suspect Matt being Matt he has ruffled a few feathers and as usual at Hornets it's the quickest way out of the door.

I wonder if the "gaffer" ever thinks that he is wrong and other opinions may just be right given his track record.

Interesting you think there is an available pool of local talent that are good enough to challenge for promotion, that the club can afford and above all else want to play for the club....if you cant change the people, change the people.

#22 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Interesting you think there is an available pool of local talent that are good enough to challenge for promotion, that the club can afford and above all else want to play for the club....if you cant change the people, change the people.

Fair Point Expat you are correct, although there are one or two players available from within the town, are they are good enough for the 1st team, week in week out is another thing, but this is not just about players, local talent can include coaching staff also.

I think the point is that local lads like Sheridan on the playing side and Matt Calland on the coaching side dont appear to have been given any chance or any input into the 1st team, there seems a bias towards the St Helens based / dual reg'd players, who to be fair really havent done it regularly enough, it all helps under pin the impression we are losing some of our identity, I suppose the common view would be that 'local lads' would at least put the effort in and actually act like they care, which is something that the current squad is being acussed of.

At the end of the day and no matter where this partnership goes we would at least be left with something to call upon when Saints clear off.

In all honesty though, and in most cases (although being Hornets we would still get plenty of moaners) if we where in the position NWC are, sat top of league and blasting almost everybody away would anybody be complianing where the players come from? so long as they where doing the business for the club is all that counts with a set up that blends local identity within a succesfull team.

Unfortunatley we dont appear to have much of either currently.

Edited by ormskirknet, 03 July 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#23 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

WOW Filipo, that's some reversal from top speed to foot down in reverse!!!!

So let me get this straight. You say we need the right people in the right roles which obviously means that the right people aren't now in those roles. However YOU don't know the people that would fit the roles?!?!?! You aren't a lot of help then are you?? Perhaps now you'll address my question as to why the people who ARE right don't stand up to be counted? Are they around because they haven't stood for election yet?

I also note that discretion has become the better part of valour with your 'quote' of Nathan Brown's. Tell you what, I'll not ask that question eh?

I dare say some directors are missing from some away games, I suggest YOU go and ask them at the next match and see what they say instead of complaining on here. They are all there working on different jobs at home games!

Finally Filipo, should you come across anyone who 'IS RIGHT' for one of the roles get them to stand for office, you propose them and I'll second them, OK. You'll have to tell them they have to be a member of the club to stand though but it's only £20!!!

Enjoy your holiday.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#24 Expat exile

Expat exile
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Didn't Lewis Sheridan actually sign from Saints...

Other than the 1 or 2 local lads - the harsh reality is there isn't the available local talent to get us promoted.  NWC have a budget to draft in the players they have and you are right ormskirknet, don't get many fans moaning because they are in a position to buy their way out of the league.

Local Identity and a successful team - holy grail for every club....only a reality for those that:

1) can afford it, or

2) have a longer term strategy to build towards it 

Seems like there are too many who don't get the reality of the situation our club is in and prior to Saints being involved - whether I agreed with it or not at the time, has to be given time to work  as what went on in previous years was not working.

Is the only benchmark for progression promotion this year and if that doesnt happen - what next?  Start from scratch again without a 1st team squad to fill 13 shirts at the start of pre-season???

#25 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

When I say right roles I meant on the coaching/ team front. As patronising and condescending as ever Andy and reading into posts what you like to read.
Directors SHOULD be at most games, they should also entertain sponsors & fellow directors alike.
The problems on the pitch not helped by the club lacking in the relevant skills to move the plan on to better things. Via identifying weaknesses and Changing them. When weaknesses are identified from your average Joe. it looks like head in the sand time, with the "support the lads" line from the loyal few or wait for it "make yourself a member" We all support the lads and the club. But when roads are rocky it's head in the sand time & situations are not appraised or commented on by anyone.

It's my last in the subject as you've had my thoughts whether you like them or not I ain't being perpetrated as a trouble maker or negative like others have been via this message board. We all have the club at heart, but want to see progression. On the pitch it's stale, & this link up with Saints is offering us limited pay offs. people will pay to see a winning side & from top to bottom the whole situation needs addressing.

Fair play from Talbot for standing up tonight. I'd love to read about searching questions about the link up & heated debate tomorrow. But I doubt I will.

Edited by fillipo del toro, 03 July 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#26 lakeylad

lakeylad
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

just to let some of you know for the record NWC train in widnes

#27 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Unfortunately I could not go to the meeting but I hope those who went were happy with what was said.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#28 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

A good meeting. All questions were asked and all questions were answered. A good turn out of suporters. IT and the players representatives given the chance to have their say and explain their positions.

We all came away happier than before we went.

Just a pity that the kill joys were not there to ask the questions and hear the answers.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#29 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

A good meeting. All questions were asked and all questions were answered. A good turn out of suporters. IT and the players representatives given the chance to have their say and explain their positions.

Just a pity that the kill joys were not there to ask the questions and hear the answers

Yes Doug, it the usual case. The usual suspects try to muddy the waters and then when it comes to 'hey lads, hey' they disappear like a fart in a gale.

I've had texts off a couple of people already who were there and they reported a positive and frank exchange of views with no fudging the issues. Many issues were dealt with and like you Doug they left feeling that the night went well.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#30 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Just a pity that the kill joys were not there to ask the questions and hear the answers.

Good! I hope that this might help clear the air and help towards getting us back on track. As in my original post on this fair play to the coach for stepping up, not sure weve had this type of appraoch before, particularly when things arent going so well on the pitch.

We have been hoping for a re-action on the pitch for two weeks now, fingers crossed for what is another tough game on Sunday! come on lads....

Unfortunatley I live and work a fair distance away and couldnt make it for such an early start, but was Matt Calland also there?

#31 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

Im more than happy with the way the club is being run off field the club seems like its in a much more secure position. The club's marketing, player management community and obviously fan engagement seem to have stepped up a gear lately.

On the field were hamstrung by a few issues the first of which is an obvious and neccessary lack of cash flow, we havnt got the support to finance an expensive squad so we cant have one. Also players are choosing to train and play for an amateur side instead? Players are coming straight from Superleague academy systems and going straight into an amateur side, I really cant understand that, there must be a reason for them turning there nose up at the opportunity to earn cash playing the game they love...?

#32 Leagueforall

Leagueforall
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Not everyone plays the game for CASH unlike the great number of mercenaries that are the game at the moment!!

They play cause they love the game and the crack afterwards something obviously on offer at the local Amateur Side , as well as local players!

#33 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Maybe certain players, despite playing the amateur game, receive regular rewards. Rewards in some cases similar to those on offer at Hornets? Just a thought
It's a shame really that Rochdale's best players aren't playing on Rochdale's biggest RL stage.

#34 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

I think we need to look at the bigger picture here.

Does anyone really think that Ian Talbot has looked at Sheridan and thought, he's a good lad and we need good players so I'll leave him out and he'll get fed up and go to Mayfield?  Any number of things could have happened that we aren't privy to and conjecture gets us nowhere.  We just have to support the 17 that are sent out onto the field and hope that we can turn round this recent bad trend, I'm sure we can!

We have six games left which is over a third of the season and all but this weekend are at home.  To listen to some fans you'd think we were out of the running altogether when there's plenty to play for still!

COME ON HORNETS!!!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#35 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Having watched Hornets this year there has been a consistent lack of passion and fight in too many of the players. Most players have no history with Rochdale and almost certainly no long term future.
Plus being paid for just tge next 80 mins every week why would they want to put their bodies on the line giving the extra 1% when they owe the club nothing in terms of a contract.
My point was maybe the club can learn a bit from the way the other clubs value these local talents. Their Hornets biggest asset, we've not got the best squad in the league possibly not even top 2 so let's not pretend we have and be elitist.

#36 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

I don't think there's a lack of endeavor HT, to be honest we haven't got the best squad and probably not in the best 2 either, but we have got the best quad we can afford!  There's no lack of drive ad ambition especially on the part of the coaching staff from recent times, coaches have tried to land certain players who have tentatively agreed to join only to end up being snaffled by a bigger spending club.

For me the point is that we HAVE a Rochdale Hornets, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about and I'd watch Hornets on Slattocks roundabout if that's the only place we could play!  I'm happy that everything that CAN be done IS being done and if it's enough, GREAT, if not well we'll pull our socks up and bloody well try again next season!!!  I'll support anyone who pulls on the red, white an blue and plays with pride!

My health hasn't been good for the last few year and I've missed games and that really hurts but there may be some light at the end of the tunnel and I may back up to speed next seasn, touch wood!  So you that can go give them a yell, sing a song and clap the lads for me as I'll be watching the Twitter feed and hoping that every new Tweet is a Hornets score!

Not giving in!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#37 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Maybe certain players, despite playing the amateur game, receive regular rewards. Rewards in some cases similar to those on offer at Hornets? Just a thought
It's a shame really that Rochdale's best players aren't playing on Rochdale's biggest RL stage.

I didn't think any 'Certain Players' where playing in the 'Cobras' side to receive there 'Regular Rewards' !...........I know for a 'FACT' none are at 'Mayfield' but if you have evidence to prove otherwise please share with us all !...Mr B  

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

#38 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Firstly Ill state I'm not a hater i come up to watch Mayfield regularly to watch an outstanding team in a great setup. My team is Rochdale Cobras, I don't play a huge part in the open age set up anymore but I wouldn't lie and claim not to have heard about players being "rewarded" for playing. I have been informed first hand by players that have been rewarded for playing down the road, but I won't say what road.
I don't entirely disagree with the idea, certainly at a decent level.

Edited by Heywood Tiger, 06 July 2013 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users