Rugby League coverage

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Remember last year when the Times office in London was picketed by a rugby league supporter, and after a meeting we were all assured that our game would have reasonable coverage, and yes at first there was. Now we are back to the bad old days, in todays coverage all I could find was yesterdays two results without even a list of scorers or attendance numbers. At least four page coverage of the Lions tour, and are they really deserving of so much coverage?

Goodness knows what our World Cup coverage will be like, and we are soon going to be playing an Australian side much better than what the current Lions are playing.

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

To be fair, I can soon forget the Times.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

Thought it was the Daily Telegraph?

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

It was the Telegraph

#5 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Stuart Glendenning was the chap outside the Telegraph office in 2011:-

http://www.thelifede...aily-telegraph/

Unless someone picketed the Times as well.

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

They're all rubbish. If you want to read about Rugby League, get a Rugby League paper.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

It was the Telegraph last year. But I'm really surprised with that from the Times. What with the charismatic, chirpy Chris Irvine on their payroll. Or maybe the Times thought league fans would prefer they published nothing, rather than another downbeat story from Huddersfield's very own Mr Grumpy.

#8 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Does Irvine have an email address? I quite fancy asking him a few questions about his thoughts on the game; don't do Twitter.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 01 July 2013 - 06:35 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

I don't think Chris Irvine is now a full time Times journalist; he has some lecturing role at Hudds University

http://www.hud.ac.uk...staffuid=smusci

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Chris Irvine has been freelance for a couple of years now. In fact I don't think any of the broad sheets now employs a full time rugby league correspondent.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#11 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

If you think you get it bad you should try the Scottish editions. The Mirror and Star are okay but the you are lucky to find the results in the rest of them.

R.S.McColls in Hamilton ordered League Express for me years ago though she had some problems with the distributors.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

The Guardian may raise the political hackles of some people on here, but with their recent foray into the Australian media world, their RL coverage is worth checking out, as they have more stories from Down Under than most UK newspapers.

Elsewhere, another dreadful leftie rag, the Mirror, has the irrepressible Nigel Wiskar, who rattled Wiggy Jones' cage about his continual sniping at Rugby League. His approach tends towards the whimsical, as you can see from his latest article, entitled Perspex knuckledusters, Eubank's manbag, Shaun Lunt's chickens and 10 other things from the world of Rugby League this week.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sorry naming the wrong paper, but if we don't have quality news coverage then there is little wonder we can't get much advertising. Years ago I was involved with press representation at a national conference. Two of the nationals chose not to attend but managed to make big headlines which didn't represent what had gone on. At least the quality papers give coverage which is usually good.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Chris Irvine has been freelance for a few years now.  You will find a match report in the Times/Sunday Times following each of the televised matches and they did a spread on rugby league at the start of the season.  They are very consistent but only in producing match reports.

The Guardian doesn't cover rugby league at all in their print issues according to those who post on the Guardian website (and the Guardian website has hardly any English rugby league articles now but is inundated with NRL stuff since they opened their Australian office).

None of the broadsheets carries rugby league to any great degree with The Times being the only regular contributor.  I don't read the red tops but apparently the Mirror and the People provide regular print coverage.

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

It was the Telegraph

:biggrin:

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Chris Irvine has been freelance for a few years now.  You will find a match report in the Times/Sunday Times following each of the televised matches and they did a spread on rugby league at the start of the season.  They are very consistent but only in producing match reports.

The Guardian doesn't cover rugby league at all in their print issues according to those who post on the Guardian website (and the Guardian website has hardly any English rugby league articles now but is inundated with NRL stuff since they opened their Australian office).

None of the broadsheets carries rugby league to any great degree with The Times being the only regular contributor.  I don't read the red tops but apparently the Mirror and the People provide regular print coverage.

there was a detailed match report with stats in last weekend's ST of the Salford Broncos game

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#17 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

And rugby league is conspicuous by its absence from the main panel:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/

on the Telegraph website.

#18 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

The Telegraph should offer us a gesture of support - maybe they could sponsor London!

#19 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I'd have thought the BBC could have stretched to even a report of the two Northern Rail finals yesterday but seemingly not...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...0/rugby-league/

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'd have thought the BBC could have stretched to even a report of the two Northern Rail finals yesterday but seemingly not...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...0/rugby-league/

Yes, particularly given the pages of screed it devotes to soccer over the summer about transfer speculation and general ###### with nothing really happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users