Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Contracted Pros in NCL (revisited)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Can they ?

#2 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

As you know, no

Which player you talking about and i'll look at the database?

#3 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

No

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#4 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Is a pay as you play player not classed as a professional as he is receiving payment for playing ?

#5 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

It is my understanding if he doesn't have an active contract (full-time/part-time or pay as you play) lodged with the RFL he isn't considered a professional. Therefore he is able to turn out for a community club once he has filled in an Open Age Registration form which has to be approved by the Competition Administrator on the RFL database, verifying that he is no longer a registered professional. 

Previously players on Terms and Conditions registration (payments only to cover expenses) have always been allowed to play for their community clubs, however it is my understanding that terms and conditions registrations within the pro game no longer exist as they previously did. Now I believe players either have to be contracted or registered as trailists (for a limited period). 

If a pro/semi-pro player wishes to cancel his contract, this must be done with the mutual consent of both the player and professional club. This can be done by both parties contacting the Operations Department at the RFL, once this has been done and confirmed, then the player is then free to be registered back within the community game.

I have had a fair bit of experience in dealing with these situations and if any club is looking to do this I would advise that they make sure all the procedures are followed correctly, all paperwork is in place, confirmation emails have been received from the RFL Operations department that the player is a free agent, a registration is filed and clearance has been received from the Competition Administrator before fielding any player.

Sometimes the professional clubs realise it may have been a mistake to release a player from their contract playing Championship Under 23 rugby as other clubs quickly come sniffing around players doing well in the NCL and invite them back to play first team rugby and re-register the player on a professional contract, this may give the impression to some that don't know the ins and outs of specific cases that teams in the NCL may have been playing registered professionals when in fact they haven't.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Is a pay as you play player not classed as a professional as he is receiving payment for playing ?

Is that with a Championship club or an NCL club? ;)  

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

2.2        That the game be played and controlled by amateur players clubs and officials NCL

OP2.1   A Professional Player is not allowed to register with the National Conference League until all contractual arrangements are completed or otherwise terminated by mutual consent of both the player and Professional Club, full details of which to be confirmed in writing with this League at the time of registration

Surely its a simple case if you receive payment then you are a professional and as a professional even on a PAY as you play CONTRACT then under the NCLs rules then they then can not participate in any game administered by the Ncl.

Why is RL in this country becoming so difficult to understand ?

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

What's wrong with NCL clubs paying their players IF they can afford it or have a benefactor who will foot the bill? Isn't this one of the reasons why disenchanted ex pros give the game up completely? I'm not suggesting signing mercenaries just for the sake of it but everyone knows there are players in the "amateur" game who get paid.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 chisholm 2

chisholm 2
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

What's wrong with NCL clubs paying their players IF they can afford it or have a benefactor who will foot the bill? Isn't this one of the reasons why disenchanted ex pros give the game up completely? I'm not suggesting signing mercenaries just for the sake of it but everyone knows there are players in the "amateur" game who get paid.

Why not name our game the semi professional rugby league and get rid of the amateur all together ? The end of the amateur game as we know it is on its way out in the very near future. The RFL get there own way as always in the master plan. I personally am not willing to collect subs and raise funds to pay out to 1 or 2 players at the detriment of the rest of our club. 

#10 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

I think it's hilarious that the reason we broke away from the RF Union in the first place was this very issue. Now RU clubs at any level can pay who they want and yet we are obsessed with this amateur/professional status issue.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Why not name our game the semi professional rugby league and get rid of the amateur all together ? The end of the amateur game as we know it is on its way out in the very near future. The RFL get there own way as always in the master plan. I personally am not willing to collect subs and raise funds to pay out to 1 or 2 players at the detriment of the rest of our club. 

That's your choice, and ultimately you could well have the better long term strategy.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

And that would be your's and your club's prerogative. I'm not suggesting it's compulsory to pay any of your players. At the end of the day money doesn't make you a better player.

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

I thought anybody could play for anybody in Rugby League these days? or is that just if it suits the Super Greed clubs??

#14 terryg

terryg
  • Coach
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

was that not the reason pro clubs got rid of a teams and many have only U21 teams, expecting community clubs to play recovering pros.

If the NCL clubs do play them, then I reckon the pro club should pay the match subs for both clubs involved in the fixture

#15 ROOSTER1980

ROOSTER1980
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

The slippery slope awaits most teams who decide to pay players. Why do some teams who are not even in the top flight consider paying individual players? Are they mad? Why would players who aren't getting paid give 100%? Why wouldn't the unpaid players say "let the one/s getting paid do the work".

Baffles me!

#16 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

Why do some teams who are not even in the top flight consider paying individual players? Are they mad? Why would players who aren't getting paid give 100%? Why wouldn't the unpaid players say "let the one/s getting paid do the work".Baffles me!

Totally agree.

rldfsignature.jpg

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,684 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

I used to hear the same statement from RFL reps at RLC meetings.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Wandered off topic.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#19 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Tidied up, stay on topic this time.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 01 July 2013 - 05:50 PM.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#20 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Not a further thread on Summer Rugby , and I found my answer in the rules it just seems that no body else is bothering to adhere to them .

Its that old thing called apathy .

If you know of clubs/players that are breaking the rules then raise your concerns with the league and let the the powers that be deal with the offenders or come out and name them and give them the opportunity to defend themselves. I'm not sure insinuations on here are they way forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users