RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where have all the fans gone

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Are there more fans now or less. Certainly less in my town. 20 yrs ago union was amateur football was violent and cricket was awful. Things have changed? Or is it purely international games that don't seem to have the same crowds.

#2 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Increased mobility means fans whose local team are poor will travel to watch a less local team that play well, in addition many people have fewer ties to the area they live in than previous generations and will therefore form alliances further afield.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#3 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Super league crowds appear to be holding up. Below that it's bloody woeful.... generally speaking.
This isn't a prrompt for another inquest as to why.
International crowds are far less than they were twenty yrs ago... again, reasons why have been done to death.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

There is nothing wrong with Rugby League on the field. In my opinion its poor match day marketing that is letting the game down.

• shun likes this

#5 Stick to the Fax

Stick to the Fax
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

You mention cricket. In 1975 I watched all 5 days of the Lords test v Australia (Lillee and Thomson) just by queing up and walking in - and the last 2 days were not more than a third full. Try that these days!

The golden age of cricket watching certainly wasn't then, more like now or maybe 5 years ago.

RL I think is also doing fine compared to then, and footy is miles up on crowd sizes.

#6 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

There are decreasing numbers if away fans

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,621 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

There are decreasing numbers if away fans

Which is why I always say you can't base your ability to financially compete on away support, its your core home support that pays the bills.

The fans haven't gone, they have moved clubs.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#8 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Are there more fans now or less.

More, the basic change seems to be fans want to watch a higher standard of sport and will travel to watch it.

This is in line with League Expresse's 1996 observations on why we needed Superleague.

Small championship clubs gates have halved since SL started, large SL clubs gates have doubled.

#9 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

Like I said earlier, 25 years ago there were more people that felt part of a Dewsbury community or a Swinton community. Now many of the people living in these areas have few ties other than affordable housing in a commutable area. If clubs want to attract these potential spectators they will have to work much harder than they do now. International crowds went through a short lived boom due to Maurice Lindsay and a Wigan side that gave us hope of beating Aus, they have returned to normal
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#10 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

[quote name="Lobbygobbler" post="2736975" timestamp="1372716584"]

There are decreasing numbers if away fans[/quote

This is definitely correct. I'd put this down to Friday/Monday night football and rising ticket prices (I also think this limits the number of 'walk-up' fans.)

#11 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Wakey usually bring a few more but who can blame families not travelling on a Monday night with the game on Sky and the kids at school the next day.

#12 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

I live in York, but all I ever see are Leeds Rhinos car stickers..

It's time to park the camels.

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,699 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Which is why I always say you can't base your ability to financially compete on away support, its your core home support that pays the bills.

The fans haven't gone, they have moved clubs.

Although I moved clubs in 1980, most fans don't.  Fans die, get old and incapable of attending, they are replaced (hopefully) by new fans.  As a young kid if you live say in Hindley Green, or Shelf, or Hunslet, or Sharlston and you see Wigan, Bradford, Leeds or Wakey regularly on TV who are you going to support?  Leigh?  Halifax? Hunslet? Fev?  Thats what kids do.  They have role models when they play games.  And those role models are more likely to be teams that are in the headlines. My lad's a Fev fan, probably because I am, but also because at the time he was starting to take notice of sport and RL in particular they won the Challenge Cup.  That's why there are so many Man U fans all over the country. Man U are famous.  Oldham Athletic aren't. 

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#14 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Are there more fans now or less. Certainly less in my town. 20 yrs ago union was amateur football was violent and cricket was awful. Things have changed? Or is it purely international games that don't seem to have the same crowds.

Hornets v OIdham 26th December 1989 Attendance 8,150.

Oldham v Hornets 29 March 20-13 Attendance 664.

Progress?

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#15 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Oldham v Hornets 29 March 20-13 Attendance 664.

Progress?

Wow that it's a sad statistic and deeply worrying for the game.

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Progress?

North Wales v Rochdale 30th June 2013 Attendance 1,086

EDIT: 809 at Rochdale v Hemel, so that match managed to draw more of a crowd than the local derby

Edited by brooza, 02 July 2013 - 09:30 AM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Progress?

A record attendance set at a Boxing Day derby match during a rare promotion season is hardly the 'norm' though is it?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Wow that it's a sad statistic and deeply worrying for the game.

The forces at play are bigger than our game:

TV exposure of elite competition, demographic changes, advances in transport infrastructure, where people live and work, how they spend their time and what they spend their money on in the 2nd decade of the 21st Century...

The game has to make friends with and hitch a ride with these forces of change.

#19 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

A record attendance set at a Boxing Day derby match during a rare promotion season is hardly the 'norm' though is it?

No - but useful to compare the maximum achievable with the current situation. Somewhere in the middle (a median of 4,400-ish) is still an awful lot more than 600-odd.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

No - but useful to compare the maximum achievable with the current situation. Somewhere in the middle (a median of 4,400-ish) is still an awful lot more than 600-odd.

Indeed.

My personal view is that the RFL need to chill the **** out and stop tinkering now.  Maybe add some more teams to the mix in C1 in due course, maybe reduce SL to 12 and balance the two divisions below but *essentially* now let the clubs know they are where they are & what they have to work with.  I came back to RL only 14 years ago - how many variations in the semi-professional set-up have there been in that time - four?  There's virtually no way any club can build (or even re-build) in those circumstances.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users