Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

roy asatosi Wire target

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

every club needs an experienced pack leader, and asotasi will do just that for wire, my old friend league freak has told me that it's a nail on move.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Get Ben Evans back, and use some of the Asotasi money to convince Riley to stay.

No, release Ben Evans, he's terrible.

:unsure:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

... and Matty Blythe too.

;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Is Ben Westwood leaving as well?

Westwood is contracted for another year.... I hope he has another season with us.

Get Ben Evans back, and use some of the Asotasi money to convince Riley to stay.

I'm looking forward to the return of Evans, Riley has had his head turned and I agree we should offer him more to get him to stay.

Salary cap is in place and Warrington are balancing the books.

#25 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Is Ben Westwood leaving as well?

i always think the best pack leaders are the props, traditionally the likes of frank collier (late in his career) cliff watson, brian mctigue, jamie peacock etal have been the best there have been....somehow a back rower doesn't have the same impact.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Confirmed.

http://www.loverugby..._medium=twitter

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#27 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Westwood is contracted for another year.... I hope he has another season with us.

I'm looking forward to the return of Evans, Riley has had his head turned and I agree we should offer him more to get him to stay.

Salary cap is in place and Warrington are balancing the books.

where's chris riley going to?

#28 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Why, are they 24 hours ahead rather than 12 now? ;-)

Fair cop, wish the weekend upon me.

In that case, what I meant to say is:

"They didn't, it's still Monday"

#29 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Warrington Wolves have confirmed the signing of Kiwi-born prop Roy Asotasi from the start of the 2014 season. The Wolves have signed 31-year-old Asotasi on a two-year deal from South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#30 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

If he stays fit it's a good signing.

#31 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Glenn Riley the young prop. - New Zealnd Warriors.

#32 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Glenn Riley is rumoured to be leaving, with NZ Warriors having put an offer to him.

Warrington have two good prop prospects in Learmouth and Bennion, but at 18 and 19 years-old, repectively, it would be reckless to expose them to the week-in, week-out rigours of SL. 

#33 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

If he stays fit, it's a good signing. Some risk, but if it comes off they won't be weaker.

#34 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I thought he was older than that.  He was widely considered to be the best prop in the world for a while so there's little doubt about his ability.

His fitness will indeed be the key to how successful he is over here. I see this this as a good, solid signing and one that's well worth the risk.

#35 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Sounds eerily similar to when we signed Paul Rauhihi, who, while solid enough didn't exactly set the world on fire.

We shall see.

#36 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Roy at his peak was one of the best Props in the game, he had a couple of years at Canterbury and a season or two at Souths where he was right up there.

Injuries have not been kind to him in recent seasons but this may help him have a solid finish to his career with a bit less wear and tear on his body in 2011-2012.

I hope he does well at the Wolves.

#37 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Fair cop, wish the weekend upon me.

In that case, what I meant to say is:

"They didn't, it's still Monday"

Hahaha

#38 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Oh dear, haven't we been hearing for weeks that they were about to sign James Graham - and they get an injury prone 30 something foreigner instead !!!

Poor signing for wire (though time will tell whether he turns out to be as bad a pudding Perry !!!)

#39 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Oh dear, haven't we been hearing for weeks that they were about to sign James Graham 

I heard that rumour recently but it was in the context of a text I received which began "Here's a list of some of the more idiotic rumours doing the rounds..."

I don't think anyone seriously thinks we would be able to afford him, do they?

#40 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

Interesting article about Roy here.

Asotasi departs head held high

But now the former Kiwis captain has fought the good fight for seven years, reinforcements have arrived, particularly from the north of England – and the 31-year-old is finishing his playing days in Super League.

Asotasi said on Monday he had signed a two-year deal with Warrington, a career and climate change that enthuses the Auckland-born front-rower months after being unable to rule out retirement.

The 24-Test Kiwi, who will lead Samoa to the World Cup in October, was off-contract at the end of the year and although extending his stay at Redfern was a possibility Asotasi has opted for a more lucrative package offered by coach Tony Smith.

Asotasi was the marquee buy when Crowe laid out the blueprint for the Rabbitohs' resurrection. He was joined by seasoned pros Dean Widders, David Kidwell and Nigel Vagana, who are now long retired. ''Fast forward seven years and you've got GI [Greg Inglis], the [four] Burgess brothers, Adam Reynolds ... John Sutton is playing the best football he's ever played,'' Asotasi said.

So wasn't there a temptation to stay put after playing through the pain of underachievement?

''I could have but at the same time I had to look for opportunities for myself and my family. I've been thinking about it for the last month or two and knowing I'm going to be leaving is the most saddening thing.'' Warrington is not the most exotic destination but the Wolves are perennial Super League contenders and are holders of the Challenge Cup.

Part of the appeal is Britain's proximity to  Europe with Asotasi reeling off potential off-season destinations for his wife Celeste, one-year-old boy Xayden and his sibling who is due in two months.

''If you get a break here it's Brisbane or the Gold Coast,'' he said. ''Over there you're going to Paris, Italy or Spain. It's only an hour away and only costs you $60.''

More here..

http://www.smh.com.a...0706-2pj47.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users